U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:20 AM

13,975 posts, read 11,103,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Some of those pre-World War I models were really built to last.
I once bought an old junkyard of 30 old Worthington rotary mowers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worthington_Mower_Company. I got most of them running without too many problems; they had two-cycle engines, had a very heavy (1/4th inch steel) deck, and roller bearing wheels - they were almost indestructible. I sold all of them when I had my mower shop. Nobody builds a mower like they did back then. Of course they did lack some safety features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:51 AM

9,358 posts, read 7,436,847 times
When mower shopping, keep in mind that there are very few engine manufacturers, and even fewer manufacturers of transmissions, whether they be hydrostatic or gear.
The horizontal shaft engines in the old John Deere units were likely Onan CCK series. Many later model vertical shaft John Deere engines were Kawasaki. Some were Tecumseh or Briggs & Stratton.
Murray, MTD, Yardman, Craftsman, etc. used Tecumseh engines for years. Newer models are Kohler or Briggs & Stratton.
Toro used Tecumseh also. Again, newer models are Kohler or Briggs.
Transmissions/transaxles were often Peerless or Eaton.
On our "mini-farm" we have a Craftsman Fairway tractor with 54" deck (in between the Yard Tractor and the Garden Tractor) and a Toro ZTR, 54" deck with bagger.
Both are excellent units, but the Craftsman has developed an occasional squeal in the belt drive system. I haven't found it yet. Maybe this summer I will dig into it.
I spent several years in a Toro/John Deere shop, "bending wrenches". I held factory certifications for Tecumseh, Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, and Peerless.
That was a long time ago....

Old Today, 08:17 AM

984 posts, read 362,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Kitty View Post
Craigslist?

That's where we got our JD mower for super cheap.
Yes, you can come up with decent lawn tractors there for a great price, Iíve sold several myself and they do appear since people move or upgrade their mowers.

Your not going to find any decent commercial mowers in the $1200 range unless thereíre really beat and that would be a potential money pit especially for an person unable to do their own repairs.

Old Today, 12:07 PM

723 posts, read 353,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Yes, you can come up with decent lawn tractors there for a great price, Iíve sold several myself and they do appear since people move or upgrade their mowers.

Your not going to find any decent commercial mowers in the $1200 range unless thereíre really beat and that would be a potential money pit especially for an person unable to do their own repairs.
Your probably correct, but for under 2k you certainly can. And it will be a better cheaper alternative to any $1200-$2000 lawn tractor. Not to mention much faster. Landscapers constantly turn over there equipment and not just because itís ready to blow up. I live in the suburbs of Chicago so maybe weíre spoiled here with all the choices, but you here is a constant supply of affordable used commercial equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or