U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM

64 posts, read 160,617 times

Advertisements

Im looking to get a riding lawn mower. I have a 3/4 of an acre yard which is dead flat. Very little trees and obsticales to mow around.

Im looking for an entry level garden tractor 42". I may use it to push snow but will probably use a snow blower instead.

Budget is around 1200 but I would be willing to spend up to 1500 to get a more reliable model. What brands are the best, and what brands should I avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,935,926 times
I would avoid (the next time) a Craftsman. I have one now that I'm not too thrilled with. Look for outrigger wheels on the side of the mower deck. I didn't and the blades will slant to cut deeper (burns) if I turn too fast. I could understand if I was going flat out but I'm older, don't go like mad anymore and it still does it. Also get one with a good, comfortable seat. I have about 3/4 acre too and all that bumping around gets to my back. That's another reason I don't ride it that fast. Other than that, most are the same, IMO

Old 06-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,901 posts, read 52,248,323 times
I have not heard any complaints about any of them. In fact, while consumer reports rates the top 3 as John Deere, Cub Cadet and Husqvarna, the scores from #1 to #32 only drop from 78 to 52. It appears that the least reliable was found to be Ariens and Troy-Bilt. I have a late 1900s Craftsman that's still going strong. I recommend a mulcher, it's nice to finish mowing and be done with it, no bag to empty or raking.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 PM

177 posts, read 260,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tel0004 View Post
Im looking to get a riding lawn mower. I have a 3/4 of an acre yard which is dead flat. Very little trees and obsticales to mow around.

Im looking for an entry level garden tractor 42". I may use it to push snow but will probably use a snow blower instead.

Budget is around 1200 but I would be willing to spend up to 1500 to get a more reliable model. What brands are the best, and what brands should I avoid?
Almost all of them are about equal. Make sure that you can fit in the seat well and are comfortable Try to actually run the tractor over grass and mow before buying. almost all tractors of this size will have trouble pushing snow of any depth. Not enough weight and wrong tires. even with wheel weights if you get wet snow or over 3" at a time its a no go.
Tractors that can accept snow thrower attachments cost quite a bit more than your budget. I have found that these are better buys.

My first real lawn tractor was a JD 210 36" mower 36" snow thrower, 36" rear tiller. I had that system for about 20 years before I wore it out My snow thrower spindle had worn so it had a clearance of over 1" it started with about 1/4" I wore the tines of the tiller and replaced the blades about 5 times even after sharpening.
I moved to a larger property and the unit finally needed an engine rebuild. I still sold the entire unit at a garage sale for over $300
I'm currently into 14 years on my new machine JD4400 (I'm on 10 Acres) I have a 72" mid mount finish mower deck (3 sets of blades so far) . 72" high lift bucket ( I use for snow and other things) with fork lift accessory, Draw bar 3 point trailer attachment (I rent a 6' tiller when I need it) I was able to try it before I bought it and it will cut a ball field at 5MPH the seat is sprung and it has cruise control Electric. Because it is a diesel I had the water jacke heater installed from the get go it gets to -10 in my building My only problem has been the barn cats like to sleep on the hood when it is cold and they have turned on the lights and run down the battery by mistake I now fold the seat over the steering wheel and that stops that.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:22 AM

13,975 posts, read 11,103,073 times
My biggest complaint, about most tractors in the OP's price category, is many have white metal blade spindles. Many areas of our Country, including my own, have plenty of rocks and roots. One good rock or root and it can cost over $100 to repair (fortunately I do my own repairs). Many of our properties 'grow' these rocks and roots (especially every Spring).

I also hate all of the safety switches - especially if you don't have young children close and 'know' how to mow grass. I can understand why they put them on the machines - I just don't think they make mowing any easier.

Many of the other problems I have are from one company buying another company. Our Country used to have a far greater 'real' choice of lawn equipment thirty or forty years ago. The HP of the equipment has gone up and we have moved into electronic ignition; but I don't know if dependability has increased with this 'progress'? I have an old 12 hp Kohler, on a 1980's Gravely (covered and outside), that starts up most of the time without jumper cables. Many of the newer tractors have batteries that go bad with just a few seasons or they will not turn over when it gets cold.

I am not going to address the OP's wishes to plow or install a snow thrower. Many tractors are built just too light for the job. It also depends on where the OP is located and how many times they need to be plowed. It could be far less expensive to have somebody do the plowing for you?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,714,730 times
Read this before you buy !!!

89 Riding Mower Brands, 38 Mower Manufactures, Who Makes What - TodaysMower.com

Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 AM

515 posts, read 634,520 times
If I were going to buy a riding mower, it would have to have a Briggs and Stratton engine. My neighbor bought a Troy-Built 2 years ago with a Kohler 20hp Courage engine and it died on her last week. It's sitting in her garage in a puddle of oil with a crack in the crankcase. It went out of warranty in April. I did a google search on that engine and it seems to be a common problem with that particular one. I've always had good luck with B & S engines but I would still do some research on the engine in a particular mower before I bought one.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 PM

177 posts, read 260,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
If I were going to buy a riding mower, it would have to have a Briggs and Stratton engine. My neighbor bought a Troy-Built 2 years ago with a Kohler 20hp Courage engine and it died on her last week. It's sitting in her garage in a puddle of oil with a crack in the crankcase. It went out of warranty in April. I did a google search on that engine and it seems to be a common problem with that particular one. I've always had good luck with B & S engines but I would still do some research on the engine in a particular mower before I bought one.
One question did she have the engine serviced at the recommended intervals. I've had many different manufactures engines in my equipment and have had pretty good service from all. My problems have been with equipment that I do not use every week and I forget to check the oil level and change it about every 20
fill-ups. in the old days you could run with filthy oil and as long as it was the correct level you were OK. Some of the newer equipment even has oil filters "It's a new world out there".

You let a gas tank go dry (evaporate) and you will have problems. You either need to run the tank dry or keep it filled.

Air cleaners need to be cleaned (blow or vacuumed) every month and changed every season on mowers as well as the engine cooling screens.

To the poster that was complaining about the metal in the spindle. while some are too soft most are meant to be hard (strong) enough to cut some thick brush. If you are hitting object that can break them you need to either raise your deck or clean your yard mowers are not designed to cut concrete, rocks, pipes (Water Shutoff Valves) sticking out of the ground, and tree stumps.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:00 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,361,089 times
John Deere and from the JD dealership. And use only JD part/oil to service it.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 PM

5,671 posts, read 6,379,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
John Deere and from the JD dealership. And use only JD part/oil to service it.

This ^^^.

You are not going to get anything more than a "hope it is okay" for $1500 in the used mower market.

If $$$ are an issue, work out a financing plan with your JD dealer--and NO, those JD machines at Lowes are NOT the same equipment that you buy from your JD dealer.

I am not sure about all JD small machines, but some have a 5 year warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or