U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
If you don't like trees...
You -->
|
|
|
|
- a very large distance -
|
|
|
|
Point --> .

That tree house won't go anywhere! I'm gonna work out of that

Thanks for the continued responses everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,161,274 times
I don't think trees are a reason not to buy a house that you otherwise love. You'll just have to factor in the cost of removing them (that one does look too close to the house) or having them trimmed back a bit, so they don't hang over the house so much. When I got my house, there were four aspens right up against the house - they were literally only about a foot in front of the house - the previous owners had planted them. The roots did get into some of the pipes. One of the first things we did was rip them out. It hurt the pocketbook a bit, but it didn't take long for them to be ripped out, and it prevented a lot of future issues by getting rid of them. We also got the city to trim a massive tree whose roots had started to rip up the sidewalk (then the city poured new concrete for the sidewalk).

I just think of things like this as maintaining your home and land.

I don't know if the trees would be pointed out by the inspection, or if you could break the contract based on the trees. And really, if you do love the house and it works in every other way, then the trees are probably something you can deal with.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,745,140 times
We bought our first house last year.

We didn't know what we were doing.

Our small city lot had a crap ton of trees on it.

"Oh, I LOVE the trees! OMG! We love this house!" The trees made it seem all magical like a fairie woodland or something.

We bought the house.

Moved in.

Very soon after moving in we discovered:
1. Two of the ginormous trees were infested with insects which pooped all over the place, coating our cars and driveway with sticky-insect-poopyness that stuck to our vehicles and also made the driveway slippery.
2. 1 of the awesome beautiful trees had a weird fungus that was killing it slowly, causing limbs to fall off suddenly.
3. Three of the wonderful trees had massive roots which were causing our driveway to buckle and crumble, which we hadn't noticed until we removed a crap-ton of English Ivy that was actually covering that entire section of driveway which we didn't know existed before. (Our driveway is actually HUGE now that the ivy is removed.)
4. As we were removing English Ivy, we found huge stumps of trees which were cut down before but never removed. Snakes and bees had nested in them. We were wondering why there were so many bees in our yard - which kept getting into our house and cars!
5. One of the trees had a split trunk. When the arborist came out, he said it was a high risk for falling.

Anyway... needless to say, we spent a few thousand dollars having trees and stumps and massive amounts of English Ivy removed.

We struggled at first, because we loved trees and we loved the shade and they were beautiful - and it was a lot of money to spend.

However, we did it... removed the trees... and we are so glad we did because last winter we had two big storms come through and lots of our neighbors had their trees fall or break and had property damage. We felt really lucky that we had removed the trees before the big storms happened.

Lesson we learned? When/If we ever decide to buy a second house, CONSIDER the TREES, and NO IVY!

I should also mention that we also had some smaller fruit trees that we removed ourselves. They had been neglected and they were very messy and attracted all kinds of insects. They were only about 30-45 feet tall with trunks about 30-40 inches around. After watching the arborists and getting a few tips from them, we felt OK doing that. It was kind of fun!!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,164,772 times
I once rented a house with a similar problem and there was always problems with the septic. Luckily for me that I wasn't responsible for the financial aspect of fixing the problem but it was a pain nevertheless.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,957,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is no reason you can't include an arborist inspection along with the others as a contingency for an offer. Then you will know how much to take them out or trim them, and adjust your offer accordingly.
That ^^^. I certainly hope you are having an inspection of this house. ANY potentially expensive circumstance related to the future of a building should be included in the inspection. Try to find an inspector with experience in this area. If you can't find one, take Hemlock's suggestion and get a separate report from an arborist. A small amount spent for intelligence now could save you hundreds in the future. You could have problems of tree roots in sewers, water lines, or septic tanks. Tree roots can also damage the foundation of a house or sidewalks, porches, and patios surrounding it.

I bought a five-year-old house awhile ago. The yards of all the houses in the plan were landscaped by "professionals" hired by the developer. The person I bought the house from had nothing to do with selection of plants or placement and even at five years old it was impossible for me to realize how in a few years more these young decorations could cause so much trouble.

First, the biggest tree in the back yard, was never irrigated properly and didn't grow a tap root. It only grew shallow, spreading roots and at the first big storm that came along, this 12-foot tree was ripped completely out of the ground. Thank heavens it fell to the west and didn't hit the house. My landscaper said it could not be replanted and it became firewood after I had to pay to have it chopped up. Then another tree planted at the front of the house was deemed by the HOA to be "obscuring" the stop sign at the end of my street. I paid to have it professionally trimmed and shaped three years in a row but I eventually was ordered to have it taken out ... to the tune of $200 more. I never put it there in the first place. The HOA is the one who OK'd these plantings when they were placed and the stop sign was already there when the tree was put in. Then a third tree planted to shade the concrete and brick patio attached to my house got so big its roots caused the patio to heave up on one side and every time it rained the water spilling off the patio roof threatened to flood the house. My choice there: remove the tree or redesign and rebuild the brick portion of the patio. I redesigned the patio since we live in Arizona and need all the shade we can get.

I'm telling you all this so you can see some of the trouble poorly placed trees can cause a homeowner in less than a decade from when they were planted. Make no assumptions. Get an expert opinion.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 AM

14,635 posts, read 17,194,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As I said before, I had the same problem. I fell in love with a house. The builders had simply cut a hole in the woods and plopped a house in it. That's how it looked anyway. By the time I bought it, the house was about 30 years old and the trees didn't look like they had ever been touched. They had grown from small trees to huge trees.

Those trees would have been smaller when the house was built but if they are just left to grow, especially with limbs directly hanging over the house, it can be a problem when you get storms and high winds.

I paid about $1000 per tree back then and still had LOADS of trees left to enjoy. Do not get into tree worship. Some trees are nice, but even a forest is better when it is managed and weeded out. Once the leaning and too huge trees were down, the rest of the trees were able to enjoy happy and healthy lives.
At least where we live - we have issues with lightning as well. We had a couple of trees that were hit by lightning. They exploded - and electricity ran through the ground and killed many other trees in the immediate area. Our house might have been fried if the trees were closer to the house.

We have lots of trees - just none too close to our house (except for one that's on a neighbor's side of the property - it's huge and hasn't been pruned forever - I would have taken it down a decade ago if it was on our side of the property). Robyn

Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 AM

7,994 posts, read 3,956,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If you've made an offer - and it's been accepted - you have a binding contract. What does it say in the contract about inspections - and perhaps other ways to get out of the contract? Robyn

This is true,so now it's time to call in the tree professionals,and get their advice and bids.
I wouldn't want a large mature tree closer than 30-40' of my house.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 AM

2,940 posts, read 7,153,054 times
Agree with some PP's. The few trees in question can be taken down and it shouldn't cost you more than $1,000. Try to build that into the contract. Looks like a nice piece of property and I love the tree house!

Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 AM

3,176 posts, read 2,763,560 times
I had well over a dozen trees taken down when I moved in 3 years ago, paying anywhere from fifty bucks to $700 per tree, not counting the ones the power company took down for free (too close to the lines). I'm not talking about little 12' saplings, these were mature oak, beech, pine -- I just finished burning the last of the firewood.

You don't need an "Arborist" to chop and drop a tree, but whoever you hire for tree work, ask to see proof of worker compensation insurance. I only used an arborist for the $700 tree; it was too close to everything, including trees I wanted to keep.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:36 PM

730 posts, read 972,578 times
I second the advice to contact your insurance agent! Because it is very possible that when the insurance company sends out a person to look at your newly purchased and insured house -- and they WILL do this, and they will notify you about it in advance -- you may afterward get a notification from the insurance company saying that they require that the trees be removed within X number of days, or they will cancel the policy. They are entirely within their rights to do this, by the way.

Especially since the recent big storms (such as Sandy), insurers have gotten paranoid about risk management. So you may be required to remove (or have someone remove) the trees whether you want to or not. I ran into this with the house I bought last year. I was planning to take the trees down in a few years, when the budget would have been in better shape to handle it, but because the insurance company said "trees must be gone within 60 days or your policy will be cancelled for non-compliance" I had no choice but to do it then.

It isn't unusual for insurers to come up with a laundry list of "risks" that have to be addressed in order to keep the policy in force.

If you're getting a different insurance company it might be more tricky, because usually they don't do an inspection until AFTER the policy is purchased. So then it becomes a choice between spending the money do to what they require, or going with a new/different company who is going to do an inspection of their own afterward... and might end up telling you the same thing: Get rid of certain trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden