U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

Tree work is expensive but not as expensive as a new roof- in most cases. Add snow build up to those branches too close to the house and it could mean trouble.

If you plan to have a garden or do more landscaping remember hardwood mulch is quite attractive and is expensive to purchase. But don't have any bark or ground up tree put in a big pile thinking you will get to it soon. They- the piles- make wonderful hidey holes for snakes and spiders galore. Kids love to play on these piles and they disregard the dangers of snakes and spiders.

I love trees but not ones too close to the house. Also take into account the extra work to keep your gutters clean. We own rental property and we have lots of nice trees around but none (anymore) that close to the houses. Still we have to have the gutters cleaned out about 3 times a year to keep rain water from pooling up and causing soffit damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 PM

7,939 posts, read 3,928,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Tree work is expensive but not as expensive as a new roof- in most cases. Add snow build up to those branches too close to the house and it could mean trouble.

If you plan to have a garden or do more landscaping remember hardwood mulch is quite attractive and is expensive to purchase. But don't have any bark or ground up tree put in a big pile thinking you will get to it soon. They- the piles- make wonderful hidey holes for snakes and spiders galore. Kids love to play on these piles and they disregard the dangers of snakes and spiders.

I love trees but not ones too close to the house. Also take into account the extra work to keep your gutters clean. We own rental property and we have lots of nice trees around but none (anymore) that close to the houses. Still we have to have the gutters cleaned out about 3 times a year to keep rain water from pooling up and causing soffit damage.

Have you thought of the LeafGuard Gutters?

Cleveland, OH | LeafGuard Gutters

Old 07-03-2014, 07:54 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
There are some kind of gutters on them but I'm not sure what kind. But so many trees around would mean having to do roof or gutter cleaning often no matter what kind of gutters. I've had the same gentleman doing that kind of work for me for many years and he always takes care of it for me without having to be reminded even.

We have that product or something similar on our home and we have to get somebody on the roof to get debris out of the valleys.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:32 PM

749 posts, read 715,610 times
I have had trees on my property for over 35 years', and have never had any problems. Some are very closed to the house.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,717,149 times
Quote:
OMG I didn't even mention the gutters and the moss on our roof! Supposedly the sellers cleaned out the gutters and treated the roof for moss due to the terms we agreed upon after the home inspection.

However, soon after moving in we got a bit of rain and we discovered the gutters were so clogged up and dirty that the water was pouring over the side instead of draining properly. So we got a ladder and began to clean the gutters...

We ended up having to use a special tool to push and dig and basically roto-rooter our gutters because they were so clogged with tree debris and leaves and sticks and gunk. It was a huge job that took the better part of a weekend and we only have a tiny 1200 sq ft home.

Plus, I don't know what they treated the roof with to kill the moss, but it didn't work. As we were up on our roof scraping and sweeping and brushing moss off our roof, we noticed that it was much worse in the shaded areas under where the trees were.

Those experiences with the gutters and the moss (and also all the sticky stuff on our cars and driveway and all the bees and spiders, snakes, and insects) were actually what began our "Perhaps we should remove some of these trees" discussion which led to the tree guy visit and then all that I mentioned in my earlier post.

And now that we've had all those trees removed and we have NONE that are near or hovering over our home, our gutters are very easy to keep clear and clean and we've not had a problem with moss - I should say yet because we've only been in the home a little over a year now.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 PM

14,635 posts, read 17,146,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I had well over a dozen trees taken down when I moved in 3 years ago, paying anywhere from fifty bucks to $700 per tree, not counting the ones the power company took down for free (too close to the lines). I'm not talking about little 12' saplings, these were mature oak, beech, pine -- I just finished burning the last of the firewood.

You don't need an "Arborist" to chop and drop a tree, but whoever you hire for tree work, ask to see proof of worker compensation insurance. I only used an arborist for the $700 tree; it was too close to everything, including trees I wanted to keep.
Whether or not you get a certified arborist - you sure need someone who knows what he's doing - especially with trees close to a house. Because someone who doesn't know what he's doing can drop a tree on your house (which would make me feel bad) - or wind up having a dead employee (which would make me feel worse). We've used the same local tree outfit for over a decade now. Not the cheapest. But the 3-4 best outfits in town all charge more/a lot more than their less competent competitors. Robyn

Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM

14,635 posts, read 17,146,073 times
Quote:

We have both wooded areas and beds. Don't mulch the wooded areas (except with what comes down from the trees). As for the beds - we use shredded pine bark mulch that we buy in bags. And don't think it's that expensive here (a little under $3/bag for 2 cubic feet delivered with the bags placed around the beds - and we use about 50 bags a year). It's super easy to spread the stuff (just slit the bags open and spread with the back end of a rack). Something even us seniors can still do .

We used to get mulch delivered in bulk and dumped on the driveway. Costs maybe 1/3 less having it delivered that way. But the dollar cost is relative peanuts - and it can sometimes take us a couple of weeks now to do what we used to do in a weekend (we're slowing down). In a couple of weeks - a pile of mulch can be totally washed away by rain. FWIW - we have some spiders and snakes regardless of our mulching habits - so that's not a factor for us.

Cleaning gutters 3x year is a lot - but may be necessary for you. For us it's once a year - max twice (and we don't do it ourselves). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden