U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,906 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have had my offer accepted on this house, but have become concerned about these trees. I believe they are oaks. They are pretty tall and lean over the roof a bit. One tree (not sure what kind) also appears to be on the septic drain field.

Please have a look at these attached photos.

Should I be concerned?
Attached Thumbnails
Considering withdrawing offer on home based on trees too close to house-trees1.jpg   Considering withdrawing offer on home based on trees too close to house-trees2.jpg   Considering withdrawing offer on home based on trees too close to house-trees3.jpg   Considering withdrawing offer on home based on trees too close to house-trees4.jpg   Considering withdrawing offer on home based on trees too close to house-tree-septic.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,380,090 times
You might be better off in the city. Seriously.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 PM

974 posts, read 1,261,955 times
Sounds like you might behaving second thoughts about your offer being accepted.

So....
Trees can always be taken down...

Tree roots in your septic? You'll need to be told where it is and then have see where the trees impact it. Is the the leach field or the actual box.

Calculate potential root spread based diameter of tree.
http://www.isa-arbor.com/education/r...tGrowth_AN.pdf
Trunk diameter is a much better predictor of root spread.
Trunk diameter is about as good as it gets for estimating root spread of unobstructed trees. For young trees [less than approximately 8 in (20 cm) in diameter], the ratio of root radius to trunk diameter in the documented studies was about 38 to 1. That is to say, a 6 in (15 cm) diameter tree can have a root system that extends nearly 6 m, or 19.7 ft out from the trunk (about 19 ft per 6 in). There were not enough data to determine the relationship for conifers. Furthermore, the trunk diameter of palms does not increase with age or size, so this relationship cannot be applied to palms.
This relationship probably changes for older trees. First the caveats: there are a lot less data on large and mature trees for obvious reasons— and there are instances of roots extending great distances (but unfortunately the researchers who excavated them didn’t record how big the tree was—data collection is not yet standardized in this arena). Nonetheless, existing studies of more mature trees sug- gest that root spread levels off to some extent as trees age. Thus, a tree with a 90 cm (35 in) diameter will probably have only a mar- ginally larger root system than a tree that is 30 cm in diameter; the root system certainly won’t be three times as large. In general, older trees spend a greater proportion of their resources on maintenance of tissue and less on growth. Studies have shown that older trees put more resources into the metabolically costly production of fine absorbing roots and fewer into large structural roots. This makes sense according to some current theories of plant allometry (e.g., West et al. 1999), which predicate the maximization of surface area (which determines resource uptake) and the minimization of the distance resources have to be transported.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 PM

17,983 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Somebody didn't get the tree work done. It can be done but it costs money.

I bought a similar house and immediately started having trees taken down. They were huge oaks and maples and each one cost quite a bit. Maybe you can do one at a time. Sometimes they only need to have a big limb removed or some limbs trimmed. Mine were so dense and huge that grass didn't even grow in the back yard. Once I had a few trees taken down, grass grew and it was a nice shady yard. You appreciate that shade in the summer, believe me.

You should probably find out how much it would cost to remove the trees. They can chop them up for you and you'll get nice free firewood out of it. As for the part about the septic tank, see above. This poster seems to know a lot about it. With my septic tank, the trees were not a problem at all.

Maybe you can get some money off on the house if you explain that the trees would be an expensive problem to fix. Depends upon how much you want the house.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,380,090 times
Or; perhaps the seller just needs to find someone who likes trees. Yes, trees can be a problem sometimes but the trees were probably there first, if they are oaks.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:09 AM

17,983 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Or; perhaps the seller just needs to find someone who likes trees. Yes, trees can be a problem sometimes but the trees were probably there first, if they are oaks.
But those trees can come down in a storm, right onto your house. That leaning tree reminds me of the first tree I had removed. Who wants a big heavy tree that leans right over the house? A bolt of lightening can hit a limb that overhangs a house and send it right through the roof. That's not even mentioning the wind storms that blow limbs right off trees and into houses.

One of those trees looks like two trees that actually grew together and one part should have been removed.

One tree I had right in back of the house was a huge 50' oak. That sucker wasn't so dangerous as it was annoying and in the way when you walked out the back door. The other ones overhung the house and represented a hazard. The OP doesn't mention what part of the country he is in but in the north with ice and snow on those limbs, they could come crashing down. Hurricanes and even strong wind can be hazardous. I'd keep some trees, those that are not up close to the house, because they provide shade and make for cool breezes in the hot summer.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:22 AM

13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
I would be concerned about any tree that leans towards the house. Tree professionals will be quick to point out any problems and give you a price for removal. Then you can factor in the removal cost when calculating bids - but your bid has already been accepted. If it had not; I would get the higher end tree removal teams to give me a bid. Since the cost is now yours; I would try asking on your local forum where to turn for reasonable tree removal.

If you are afraid of roots in your septic; they do make products to add to your septic to kill off roots. Here is a link to one: Root Killers | ROEBIC Laboratories, Inc. - The Septic Professionals.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
There is no reason you can't include an arborist inspection along with the others as a contingency for an offer. Then you will know how much to take them out or trim them, and adjust your offer accordingly.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:11 AM

14,635 posts, read 17,146,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_default View Post
Hello, I have had my offer accepted on this house, but have become concerned about these trees. I believe they are oaks. They are pretty tall and lean over the roof a bit. One tree (not sure what kind) also appears to be on the septic drain field.

Please have a look at these attached photos.

Should I be concerned?
If you've made an offer - and it's been accepted - you have a binding contract. What does it say in the contract about inspections - and perhaps other ways to get out of the contract? Robyn

Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_default View Post
Hello, I have had my offer accepted on this house, but have become concerned about these trees.
Those trees have been there a while, and were there when you placed your offer.
Odd that they did not concern you until your offer was accepted.
Sounds like cold feet....

If you don't want the trees, you can take them down when you move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden