U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 07:31 AM

177 posts, read 253,649 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried trout (Brown, Rainbow) in an aquaponics? The normal fish used are warm water species.
I'm in a colder area and would like some fish that would work without heaters in the winter. Water aeration would keep the surface free of ice.

Please give your Ideas and experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,533 times
We have rainbow trout, crayfish and koi. Our system is designed for colder climates with sections which can be shut down if needs be in winter with the habitats insulated. Happy to pass on all info and research. Rainbows are fast and can fly so don't forget a tank cover. Be careful how deep your airstones are if your pond or tank is "shut down" over winter as the deeper warm water will mix with the cold and you could loose more heat. Could do with more info on your system to advise properly but there are several ways to warm the water without electric heaters, go natural and think heat storage and compost heating etc. Hope this helps, Neil at Aquaponic Life.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:11 AM

528 posts, read 650,150 times
Default Fish for colder climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
Has anyone tried trout (Brown, Rainbow) in an aquaponics? The normal fish used are warm water species.
I'm in a colder area and would like some fish that would work without heaters in the winter. Water aeration would keep the surface free of ice.

I had that same question. I don't really care for Trout, but it can survive colder climates. I think Catfish & Perch can survive as well.

I have a tank, but would like to move it out to my shed (the one I plan to get ). No power in the shed so I'm looking for fish that can tolerate the cold.

Any comments on the shed?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:06 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
Default Assuming your aquaponics system is measurable

Quote:

You'll have to really watch your dosing with any fertilizers/chemicals of any kind. I assume you have the full range of test equipment to monitor PH, and perhaps even oxygen levels.

And you might have to start with larger Rainbow fingerlings instead of inch fry.\

Browns can take warmer water but I don't believe they have bloodlines like Rainbow have of strains that are matched to local conditions and oxygen poorer water. You can't over-oxygenate your water and that has more to do with the bio-load and keeping fish alive. Surface free of ice doesn't mean anything; look at ice fishing in lakes!!

Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times
Go to any fish hatchery in the Pacific Northwest and you will see several varieties of trout and salmon raised with aquaponics.

It takes an expensive setup. Water has to be flowing and well aerated. Fish are raised in long troughs with heavy pumps moving large volumes of water. Trout won't tolerate dirty water, which adds to the expense.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:54 PM

185 posts, read 182,480 times
Quote:

I just have ponds, with cat fish, koi, they survive the winters. They go into a hibernation mode no food slow moving until spring. Mostly hang out on the bottom. I keep a net over the top to keep debris from rotting in the ponds and wildlife from making meals from the fish.

I have a bio filter on the ponds. All plant material must be removed or cut down from the pond during winter or they freeze and rot causing gasses as they break down in the water & become toxic to the fish.

I'm not sure what trout aquaponics is ? There r non freeze units that keep the water from freezing that float on top of the water plug into electricity. They r not heaters but maintain the water temps from freezing. Also a strong pump to keep water moving helps. I use the non freeze units occasionally with a rare cold winter. They work great. Cheap and really keep the pond from freezing.

How deep is the water the brown trout r in? You could also contact the wildlife division, or call UR local county extension service for more information for UR area.

Ck with pond suppliers for more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden