U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,896,365 times

Advertisements

One of the worst experiences of my life was trying to remove a white faced hornet nest from a hunting blind. Attempting mechanical removal in a manner that will save the hornets' lives is an excellent way to get an IV push of Benadryl at the emergency room and I absolutely would not recommend that anyone attempt same.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
One of the worst experiences of my life was trying to remove a white faced hornet nest from a hunting blind. Attempting mechanical removal in a manner that will save the hornets' lives is an excellent way to get an IV push of Benadryl at the emergency room and I absolutely would not recommend that anyone attempt same.
All I can do is second that!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Get a can of Raid wasp and hornet spray. It allows you to stand quite a distance away. Fast, and easy.
This. To avoid that IV push of Benadryl in the ER.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:09 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
...Have an assistant, some scissors and a bucket with a lid. Snip off the stalk of the nest and let it drop into the bucket. Quickly put on the lid...
Isn't that how they always do it in cartoons?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,903,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
As others have said, I would do it at night when they're the least active. Get the spray that sprays up to 20 feet. You should still wear protective heavy clothing, and what ever you do, don't shine a light at the nest when you're spraying it, they will fly toward it.
At night is best but remember they do fly at night when mad and it isn't cool outside.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:51 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,903,614 times
Remember always were protection. A badminton racquet sprayed with the killer spray can be very beneficial and sporting as well.

Give Hornets the respect they deserve.

A friend of mine and a old man were doing hay and the old man got into a nest of hornets. The old man went down and my friend had to wade into the hornets and carry him a 1/4 mile to a creek they got down into. The old man went to the hospital and survived. My friend went back to the field and the old man bought him a six pack the next day.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,642,118 times
Knock on wood I haven't seen any hornets nests in the neighborhood, or those nasty bald faced hornets (the black ones with the white faces). I have in fact seen on occasion the big yellow and brown hornets European hornets, which BTW is the only true hornet in the US. They're freakin' huge!!!! Been buzzed a few times this summer. In fact I've seen them around the neighborhood for the past few years. Probably due to all of the woods around us, as that is where their habitat is. They unlike yellow jackets and the bald faced hornets don't like to be in the proximity of being close to people. Therefore, they don't seem to be as aggressive as the other two. Here is another little known fact; bald faced hornets are actually a species of yellow jacket. Speaking of them, I've seen them starting to emerge, which seems to be typical, as they really start coming out around the end of July around here. I just hope with our annual summer party this weekend that they aren't a nuisance. Nothing worse than them getting in all of the food, or the drinks, (I'll be pouring my beers in a cup I suppose) and bothering people. Not to mention, my wife is allergic to them.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:59 PM

69,251 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
I have a home that is a magnet for wasps, hornets and carpenter bees.

When they decide to build a nest under one of our overhangs, we immediately take out a can of our wasp and hornet jet spray killer (we buy it by the case), wait until after midnight, aim, totally saturate the nest and then go back into the house. In the morning they are all be dead and laying in a pile on the ground under the nest.

We leave the nest for a day or two after just to be sure that they are all dead and then use a rake (and ladder if necessary) to knock it down. Once it's on the ground, we use a large shovel to remove it to the burn pit.

There is really no 'nice' way to discourage these unwanted insects. At our home, we terminate with extreme prejudice.

RVcook
We finally had to hire the exterminator to get rid of our wasps. Even after we removed to nests when the weather cooled off and replaced the wood where they were building, they came back this spring. Yes, like the OP under the overhang on our front porch. We had the same problem in the back and in our shed, but we were able, with spray to take care of the problem. Now, spraying the wasps is just part of our every week or so maintenance. We just buy a can of spray and let them have it!!!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:59 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,642,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We finally had to hire the exterminator to get rid of our wasps. Even after we removed to nests when the weather cooled off and replaced the wood where they were building, they came back this spring. Yes, like the OP under the overhang on our front porch. We had the same problem in the back and in our shed, but we were able, with spray to take care of the problem. Now, spraying the wasps is just part of our every week or so maintenance. We just buy a can of spray and let them have it!!!!!

Living in a townhouse we have wooden dividers on our back patio dividing us on either side, and always end up with wasp nests. They're not too bothersome. I'll usually let them go about their business, so long as they don't get too close. Yellow jackets and bald faced hornets on the other hand are the spawn of Satan IMO!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 PM

11,346 posts, read 7,399,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Isn't that how they always do it in cartoons?
That how Wiley E Coyote would do it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden