Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder99 View Post
I would hire an exterminator. My sister got stung by some ground dwelling hornets and was in pain for two weeks. Good luck!
That is what got us moving to get rid of our wasps last year. First I got stung, but I don't have much trouble with allergies to stings or anything like that, so, other than hurting like heck, I was fine a in a few minutes; hubby had a terrible reaction a few weeks later. His hand and arm swelled up, he was on meds and yes, it hurt so bad plus, his whole hand peeled. That is when we said, enough is enough. Now we see one and out comes the wasp can!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Speaking of yellow jackets, not trying to hijack thread, but I found (or rather they found me) a nest about the size of my fist in a hole buried under a piece of wood. They got me 4 times before I could get out of their way. How in the world can I get even with them? I saw at least 50 swarm out, possibly more. I've got a can of gas and a box of matches. Any ideas?

Pour the gasoline and light the match! Terminate with extreme prejudice!

Old 07-20-2014, 03:37 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
I usually spray the wasp nests with Raid spray and knock them down later. The cans always say they spray 20-40 ft, but I never see them spray more than 10-15 ft.

My dog also helps by eating the escapees right out of the air. I don't know if he ever gets stung, but he doesn't show it if he does. He will eat just about any insect that catches his eye.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
This is what I've got to deal with. I'm thinking we'll spring the $150 quoted to us for professional removal since a tall ladder will have to be involved, and I'm not relishing the idea of that for either me or DH. Anyone know if that's a rip-off or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Hornet's Nest-photo.jpg  

Old 07-27-2014, 04:53 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
This is what I've got to deal with. I'm thinking we'll spring the $150 quoted to us for professional removal since a tall ladder will have to be involved, and I'm not relishing the idea of that for either me or DH. Anyone know if that's a rip-off or not?
Wow. Yup, reminds me of the one I had in my tree. Fortunately for me the Hive was hanging on a branch over the street so that meant city property. lol

I got City department of Public works to come out and take care of it. They used some high powered cold spray or something.. They came early in the morning and all I remember is hearing a guy screaming and running. I locked myself inside everything closed. No idea what happened to him. At least the thing was gone.

Worth the money... there will be ones that escape so make sure everything is closed. Make sure they do it on a cool cloudy day when they are more dormant.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:36 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
I blew up that thumbnail and it looked like you have a window directly under the nest? If that is the case; you could probably spray the nest out of your window. I would put on a heavy coat and wear a heavy glove - your husband could duct tape the glove to your coat or you could do it to him. Then you could stuff towels around the arm sticking out the window; so the bees could not get inside the house. Or, you could simply spray the nest and quickly close the window - but I don't know if either of you are allergic to bees (don't take any chances; if that is the case - spend the $150).

Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I usually spray the wasp nests with Raid spray and knock them down later. The cans always say they spray 20-40 ft, but I never see them spray more than 10-15 ft.

My dog also helps by eating the escapees right out of the air. I don't know if he ever gets stung, but he doesn't show it if he does. He will eat just about any insect that catches his eye.
My lab used to like to catch honey bees flying around our yard and play with them in his mouth.

Many time i've opened his mouth to take one out and the bee was just sitting there on his tongue almost in a sedated state covered in saliva. A few even dried off after removal and flew away.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
Got it down! We called a pro, and I think that was the right call. There are still a bunch of mad, homeless bald-faced hornets flying around up there. Dude did it in shorts and a t-shirt like it was no big deal. Wow.
Attached Thumbnails
Hornet's Nest-img_0495-1-.jpg  

Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Quote:
Got it down! We called a pro, and I think that was the right call. There are still a bunch of mad, homeless bald-faced hornets flying around up there. Dude did it in shorts and a t-shirt like it was no big deal. Wow.
He probably gets stung all the time and stopped caring. lol

Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:

That was probably the right call. Though, the person who took it down seems to be a bit crazy given his attire while getting rid of the nest. It's about that time here in northeast Ohio where yellowjacket and hornet populations significantly increase. I've already seen yellowjackets, and bald faced hornets, as well as the only true species of hornet found in the US (the European hornet). In fact, I don't see bald faced hornets a lot, but given that I've seen quite a few this year, that leads me to believe there is a nest nearby. I live in a townhouse and have scoped out all of the trees around our unit and nearby units, and haven't found anything yet. I've tried to look for activity in the shrubs too, but didn't see too much of it. I also didn't see them in the peaks of the roofs of the units either. We are surrounded by woods, so it could be possible that there is a nest out there. I've been trying to see if I can determine their flight path, so that I can warn any neighbors if they have a nest.

As for the other species of hornet, they more than likely are nested in the woods, as they unlike bald faced hornets, and yellowjackets tend to stay in more wooded and secluded areas. Also, despite their size, and nasty appearance, they tend to be less aggressive than the other two, unless you screw with their nest. Friday evening we were sitting on my neighbor's porch, and there were two of them flying around his porch light at night. I kept my eye on them, but they seemed to not pay any attention to us. More than likely they were focusing on the other bugs flying around the light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden