U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:57 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,843,725 times

Advertisements

... well, folks ...

It took a month, but I finally got it down by myself for less than $10.

I bought a spray at Home Depot for less than $3 but the clerk in the store recommended the more expensive Raid brand version which was about $5. I should have followed his advice. The cheaper hornet's spray killed a few hornets, but they came back. I tried the Raid, and the next morning there were dozens of dead hornets on the ground. That night I wacked the nest off with a rake and it came flying down with not a live hornet in it.

With the spray you can stand up to 20 feet away.

According to the instructions the very best times to spray the nest is in the early evening after sunset or the early morning before dawn. You wait a full day until you knock the nest itself down.

I appreciate the attached photos supplied by CMMom, because that is exactly what my nest looked like. It was the size of a cantaloupe and attached under the eaves of my porch roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:22 AM

6,413 posts, read 8,894,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
All I can do is second that!
I will too, I accidentally stepped on a yellow jacket nest when I was 33, they swarmed up my body and bare legs stinging me all over. I went into anaplyactic shock repeatedly for 24 hours. Now if I get a sting, I get a huge dinner plate sized welt that has its own temperature that is physically hot to the touch and lasts for up to 10 days. If I take my homeopathic remedy; apis mellificica made from bee venom, the welts are not so big or so hot, but still linger for a week plus. I honestly believe that people like me that are allergic, release a pheromone that attracts stinging insects. I have been singled out in a group and chased by wasps and yellow jackets.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 AM

18,209 posts, read 16,575,306 times
We have a swarm of wasps in our front yard that are flying continuously around low to the grass. I'd say about two dozen, only in the front yard. They ignore the garden and hummingbird feeders that other wasps and bees are attracted to.
I researched them and they are blue digger wasps. The females are predators of June bug and Japanese beetle larvae in the grass. I haven't seen much of either this year so I'm not sure where they think they'll get prey.
The males don't sting and the females aren't aggressive. We'll have to cut the grass sometime in a week or so, so I'm not overly worried about disturbing them.
I've also noticed that while honeybee number shave dramatically rebounded from almost none and bumble bees are common like usual, yellow jackets are scarce. They go after our apples that fall off the tree and none are around yet.
Grasshoppers are also scarce. I have heard the first cricket outside.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 PM

15,908 posts, read 9,708,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I will too, I accidentally stepped on a yellow jacket nest when I was 33, they swarmed up my body and bare legs stinging me all over. I went into anaplyactic shock repeatedly for 24 hours. Now if I get a sting, I get a huge dinner plate sized welt that has its own temperature that is physically hot to the touch and lasts for up to 10 days. If I take my homeopathic remedy; apis mellificica made from bee venom, the welts are not so big or so hot, but still linger for a week plus. I honestly believe that people like me that are allergic, release a pheromone that attracts stinging insects. I have been singled out in a group and chased by wasps and yellow jackets.

My wife is allergic as well, and has an epi-pen. I've seen a lot of yellow jackets lately, which is that time of year for them. However; they've not been bothersome. My neighbor is growing cannas and they along with the bald-faced hornets are more focused on them. I guess the juice in them is really sweet. Fine by me, so long as they stay away from me and out of my beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden