Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,576 times

Advertisements

Ailanthus/"tree of heaven" is an extremely invasive, junky, smelly tree.

In my state of Pennsylvania, this piece of crap tree is taking over everywhere it seems. It's in urban areas growing out of cracks in pavement, on the edges of farm fields, in utility corridors, in the fringes of neglected surburban yards, and driving PA highways you can see miles and miles of it at a time on the shoulders. I wouldn't be surprised if ailanthus/tree of heaven becomes the most common tree in PA in 25 years, since it can outcompete just about anything (except in dense shade), and reproduces like crazy. I know I am seeing a lot more of it now vs. 10-15 years ago.

I also suspect a lot of people either don't know what it is, don't care, or use the wrong methods of trying to get rid of it (cutting it without using some kind of herbicide, etc.) I know some people hate herbicide, but it's the most effective way to eliminate this tree.

Why isn't there some kind of state or federal program to eliminate this tree? Even some kind of non-profit group working to eliminate it? I see all kinds of efforts to save ash trees from the borer - those purple boxes, etc. - but very few attempts to control ailanthus.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Do you have a more recent map than this?

http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/fia/maps/In...ebmap_aial.pdf

According to that, it is not even IN most PA counties. I have yet to see it.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Do you have a more recent map than this?

http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/fia/maps/In...ebmap_aial.pdf

According to that, it is not even IN most PA counties. I have yet to see it.
This is sort of misleading. Ailanthus isn't being found in "forest plots" because it can't tolerate shade in the middle of a forest. It is ALL OVER roadsides, urban areas, and open "disturbed" lands. I've seen it in Allegheny, Berks, Bucks, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware,Lancaster, Lehigh, Montgomery, Monroe, Northampton, Philadelphia, Schuylkill, & Westmoreland counties.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:40 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
If they bother you that much, go yank them out, one by one. Have fun.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
It's the same way down here in the Deep South with Chinese Tallow tree (and Chinese Privet), they're everywhere. You can drive along I-10 in Louisiana and see how they're taken over entire wetland areas.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 AM

177 posts, read 338,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Ailanthus/"tree of heaven" is an extremely invasive, junky, smelly tree.

In my state of Pennsylvania, this piece of crap tree is taking over everywhere it seems. It's in urban areas growing out of cracks in pavement, on the edges of farm fields, in utility corridors, in the fringes of neglected surburban yards, and driving PA highways you can see miles and miles of it at a time on the shoulders. I wouldn't be surprised if ailanthus/tree of heaven becomes the most common tree in PA in 25 years, since it can outcompete just about anything (except in dense shade), and reproduces like crazy. I know I am seeing a lot more of it now vs. 10-15 years ago.

I also suspect a lot of people either don't know what it is, don't care, or use the wrong methods of trying to get rid of it (cutting it without using some kind of herbicide, etc.) I know some people hate herbicide, but it's the most effective way to eliminate this tree.

Why isn't there some kind of state or federal program to eliminate this tree? Even some kind of non-profit group working to eliminate it? I see all kinds of efforts to save ash trees from the borer - those purple boxes, etc. - but very few attempts to control ailanthus.

What gives?
A lot of these Invasive trees were introduced in the 60's by mail order plant companies to take advantage of the Post WWII baby boomers buying "Ticky-Tacky Box Houses" in developments where all of the trees were removed or there were no trees in the first place. These grew very fast and created shade The Silver Maple and the Lombardy Popular were also sold in the same way.

These trees had their place and time to create quick shade canopies and privacy. It takes the good trees many years to create the same effect. Some trees are OK in certain settings and in town may not be that place. In fact some towns now have it in their building codes that some trees are not allowed to be replanted in parkways or above buried utilities (too many problems)

I took an evening landscaping course a number of years ago (an Arboretum in N. Illinois) that mentioned about where not to plant various trees and shrubs because of problems. They did noot say not to plant them but to worry about the location and the plants health. They mentioned about planting Canopy trees near or under overhead power lines. They would have to be trimmed and would be but not for the trees health but for the power companies service. BTW most power lines are on easements which have enough width so they can bring a full sized truck to the poles. They can take down anything in their path and do not need to replace it. The suggestion was to plant short height trees and shrubs in these areas so that the full growth height is below the lowest wire height (normally about 18 -20 ft)

By the way you can be proactive Knock on the land owners door and ask if you can do some chain saw practice on those trees. Just make sure you do clean up after your done cutting

Old 07-16-2014, 06:28 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Tree of Heaven was introduced over 100 years ago.
Odd that is it invasive now....

Old 07-16-2014, 10:10 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Tree of Heaven was introduced over 100 years ago.
Odd that is it invasive now....
It is also the tree in the classic book "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden