U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 04:09 PM

675 posts, read 1,185,005 times

Advertisements

Thank you Lost Roses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 04:10 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Like, I have plenty of spots that are shady all day or sunny all day, I have a few that don't get sunny until afternoon but I can't think of a spot that is only sunny for a few hours in the morning and then shady.
Then don't buy plants that need just morning sun!

You need to buy plants that are appropriate for the space in which you plant them.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:34 PM

Yeah, yeah, it was an impulse buy, noticed the "morning sun" thing after it was home. Usually I put more forethought in my plantings. I'm sure I'm not the first person to get suckered in by an on sale plant at a home center (I just went in for paint and wood screws, honest!)

Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM

6,940 posts, read 8,875,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
That's the tricky part to me, though - does that mean that it can only get sun in the few brief hours as it's rising and then it needs to be completely in shade the rest of the day, both noon and afternoon? I have no idea where to find such a location.

Oh, no, plants aren't that fussy! I have a place that has all its windows facing pretty much due east and due west. I would plant something like that under the windows facing east. A plant like that would probably also be pretty happy in dappled shade. What plants are you talking about, anyway? Any specific species in mind? All I can think of that ever gets directions like that is scented Nicotiana (flowering tobacco) or Mirabilis (Four O'Clocks) -- oh, also Evening Primrose and Night Scented Stock -- and that's only because the flowers open up and start pouring on the perfume in the shady part of the afternoon. They will open up sooner if they get afternoon shade, you see. But in all three of those cases you can plant them in full sun and just wait for evening to enjoy them. But if you give them MORE than half a day of shade they may not get around to blooming at all.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:17 PM

34,539 posts, read 42,708,506 times
My house faces east. Anything that likes morning sun would be planted here. I think they could also be OK on the north side.I learned the hard way that plants that like partial shade or morning sun, will burn out under more intense sun in the south or west side of your yard. Of course there are exceptions, like if something is shaded by a tree.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 AM

726 posts, read 664,122 times
Skyrockets in flight, afternoon delight?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 AM

4,240 posts, read 3,312,505 times
Plant your morning sun plants facing either east or southeast. Sunny aspect until 2 pm is fine because the hottest sun is around 4 pm in the summer, and that sun burns and fries everything to a crisp. You want to use shade from the house, deck or trees anywhere you can. Most plants like to have roughly 5-6 hours of summer sun, and only those tough ones can use more than that in the summer. I only plant daylilies and magnolia in western facing aspect of my house because they are the tough ones, and even then, I babied the magnolia by planting it into the ground in the fall, and watered it really deeply and frequently through its first two summers. Mulching always helps plants.

The key is to plant your new plants, regardless of their preference, in the beginning of fall, or roughly after September 15th. If you plant anything new into the ground during the summer, then you need to water it deeply every two or three days through the whole summer season or else it faces real danger.

I have a bunch of really nice coreopsis ready to go into a south easterly facing garden this coming fall. I would never plant them in the height of summer in any direction.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 9,233,121 times
If all you have is a deck for afternoon shade then it will have to do. Hydrangeas are everywhere though, so they can probably take a beating. I have several of them planted on both the east and south side of my house. The ones on the south side died after this winter, but I cut them to the ground and now they're already back up to 4 feet tall.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Depends on the hydrangea... some will get fried in afternoon sun.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 AM

Thanks all for the detailed help everyone!

Parsec, yeah, since we live in hydrangea country I didn't think they were all that picky about light, they seem to grow everywhere including full sun in my ocean hometown. Glad your south side ones came back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or