U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM

675 posts, read 1,185,005 times

Advertisements

Can someone walk me through how best to place a plant with the recommendations for "morning sun, afternoon shade"? I'm having trouble judging what areas of the yard get sun at what hours to begin with, but this is throwing me off.

How many hours of sun count as morning? How shady must it be in the "afternoon" and for how long?

Does this mean that plants in this category must be in direct eastern sunlight in the morning and then shaded by something taller on their western side?

And where exactly do all of the hours of direct overhead sunlight fit into all of this?

I already seem to have killed one plant with this directive (although in my defense it was a $3 clearance plant to begin with). For the sake of my other bargain basement finds, please help me figure this out!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
To me, morning sun means the sun before noontime. Before the sun is directly overhead and it is still cool(er) out.

Afternoon sun is the hot, beating-down sun... well, in the afternoon!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,620,656 times
What Pitt Chick said.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 PM

That's the tricky part to me, though - does that mean that it can only get sun in the few brief hours as it's rising and then it needs to be completely in shade the rest of the day, both noon and afternoon? I have no idea where to find such a location.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:39 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Can't you walk out into your yard in the morning and find a shaded spot? One that will open to sun later in the day? Not sure why this would be "tricky".

Old 07-28-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Can't you walk out into your yard in the morning and find a shaded spot? One that will open to sun later in the day? Not sure why this would be "tricky".
No, shade just in the morning is easy, shade for the entire rest of the day - after a sunny morning - is tricky.

Like, I have plenty of spots that are shady all day or sunny all day, I have a few that don't get sunny until afternoon but I can't think of a spot that is only sunny for a few hours in the morning and then shady. One complication is that our house faces west and we have large trees in almost all directions. Lots of spots are shady all day, many are sunny just at high noon, and the front of the house doesn't get sun until afternoon. All by way of saying, if the sun shows up at all it tends to stick around well into the afternoon.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM

4,837 posts, read 9,233,121 times
Ideally this would be a foundation planting on the eastern side of the house. The sun rises in the East, so you'll get sun there assuming there are no trees blocking. After 12pm, the sun will start to move to the other side of the house, and by mid-afternoon your house should be blocking the plant from the sun. In your case, it will be fine as long as it gets sun to grow and some shade to prevent it from burning out in the hot afternoon sun. That's what the label really means - the plant doesn't do well in hot direct afternoon sunlight.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:34 PM

Parsec, thank you for that explanation. Unfortunately we have a deck on the east side, we don't get the benefit of shade there at the side of the deck until 2-3 in the afternoon. I'm guessing that would be too late?

If I can't find a good spot, could I err on the side of a shady spot? Or just give up this type of plant (or cut down a tree to make room) If it matters we're talking about hydrangeas.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,438,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Parsec, thank you for that explanation. Unfortunately we have a deck on the east side, we don't get the benefit of shade there at the side of the deck until 2-3 in the afternoon. I'm guessing that would be too late?

If I can't find a good spot, could I err on the side of a shady spot? Or just give up this type of plant (or cut down a tree to make room) If it matters we're talking about hydrangeas.
I would opt for more sun than shade.

Growing Hydrangeas | UMass Amherst Landscape, Nursery & Urban Forestry Program

Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
No, shade just in the morning is easy, shade for the entire rest of the day - after a sunny morning - is tricky.

Like, I have plenty of spots that are shady all day or sunny all day, I have a few that don't get sunny until afternoon but I can't think of a spot that is only sunny for a few hours in the morning and then shady. One complication is that our house faces west and we have large trees in almost all directions. Lots of spots are shady all day, many are sunny just at high noon, and the front of the house doesn't get sun until afternoon. All by way of saying, if the sun shows up at all it tends to stick around well into the afternoon.
I worded that backwards. I should have said - "walk out in the morning and find a sunny spot that will be shaded in the afternoon". And there is nothing tricky about it. You know which way the sun rises and sets, right?

Now, if you don't have any areas like that (the north east side of my house is always that type of exposure) then you don't plant anything that has that type of requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or