Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Rabbits you can catch and control.

Chipmonks require more effort to catch and control

Squirrels there's no winning. My neighbor had a peach tree for 20 years. Each year countless biten and on the ground. He decided to take it down this year. Not worth the hassel when you can either go peach picking at a farm nearby or buy them in stores(I know I know)

Squirrels watch you from above....they are smart... they have incredible patience... they wait until you leave to make their move.

Only thing I can think about it an entire chicken net over the tree closed tight. Good luck
During squirrel season you could shoot fifty of the little buggers and they would invite one hundred to their funerals! As long as there is food available; squirrels will be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 AM

409 posts, read 511,900 times
The most effective method of squirrel control is trapping them

Old 08-01-2014, 05:45 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
I hate those tree rats. They constantly steal my bird's seed from the birdfeeders. No, I will NOT put special food out for the squirrels in hopes that they will leave my feeders alone. Several have suggested that...It is like paying off bribe money to a mob.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:23 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I love squirrels, and feed them regularly. My neighbor tells me since I have moved here and begun feeding them, the squirrels have left his fig tree alone.

To me, that's a win-win.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Squirrel and dumplings too....
Yes. And like any other meat, squirrel can be frozen for later use. With hamburger almost $5/pound in my area, harvesting squirrel is becoming necessary to make ends meet.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
We have squirrels but they leave my garden alone. I think maybe it's because we have outside cats that mostly stay in the back yard. I've never seen a squirrel on the ground out there.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:56 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon13 View Post
The most effective method of squirrel control is trapping them
and then you make the dumplings?

I hope you are not relocating them.

There are so many squirrels in town that I don't think you could trap enough to make a difference. We need a squirrel predator. Do squirrels have natural enemies?

Old 08-01-2014, 12:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
and then you make the dumplings?

I hope you are not relocating them.

There are so many squirrels in town that I don't think you could trap enough to make a difference. We need a squirrel predator. Do squirrels have natural enemies?
Yes, here it's the coyotes, but they prefer cats and small dogs because the squirrels are able to run up a tree too fast for them. Also Bald Eagles and even Barred Owls will get them. Not enough to make much difference, though, as fast as they seem to reproduce.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
Squirrels may take over the world

There were rabbits here when I first moved in. No loose running dogs, so I guess cats and coyotes decimated the rabbit population. I don't ever see a rabbit nest when I am walking in the meadow behind my house, much less a rabbit.

I wouldn't want to give up my oak trees to get rid of the squirrels.

I have safflower seed in the birdfeeder which my local squirrels are not fond of. Raccoons like it fine. I bring the feeder in at night.

We need some rowdy young boys to rob the squirrels nests like they did when I was young. Boys dreamed of having a pet squirrel but soon got tired of them.

sadly, I don't know a child who could climb a tree now. They could show me a picture of a squirrel on their phone in about a second.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:10 PM

480 posts, read 1,916,652 times
Shoot 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden