U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 PM

61 posts, read 69,348 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on how to attract song birds? I live in a small community not far from the country, and you'd think a few birds would be interested in my trees. I put out fancy bird feeders and baths, and still no birds. No cats around... I wonder what the deal is? Anyone have ideas or explanations?

We do have doves, which are interesting to watch, and they build their nests near my home. Still, it would be nice to have birdsong in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,444,998 times
What are you offering in the birdfeeders? If you're using mixed seed, try black oil sunflower seeds instead. Also hang up a suet feeder if you don't already have one. The sound of moving water also attracts birds. Can you put a dripper on your birdbath, or a solar fountain? It often takes birds awhile to find new feeders but once they start coming, others will too.

Also, be realistic about which birds will actually come to your feeders. You can expect jays, chickadees, house finches and many others. But there are many birds who don't come to normal feeders. Orioles would need a fruit feeder for instance, and robins will eat dried mealworms but otherwise will ignore feeders but love birdbaths if the water isn't too deep. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 AM

38,447 posts, read 18,207,593 times
Songbirds all have individual tastes.....and enjoy various types of enviornments...e.g. lawn edged with sheltering hedge or bushes.....well kept and watered lawns.....near woods......and they like different foods....from what they can forage or catch to choice delicacies you offer.

I don't know in your California location.....when I lived in San Diego County.....I had lots of hummers....attracted to my flowers....(they like red)..I didn't have a feeder....but did have irrigated lawns and a water feature. We didn't put out feeders because we didn't want to attract the rats that live in the palm trees....but we had trees around the house in the "common areas" with lots of birds.

In New England I found that black oil sunflower seeds in a feeder.....was a magnet for all sorts of birds....and those tubes for feeding black thistle seeds....really attracted finch....lots of them. Sunflowers attract them....I had a rather large perennial garden and left seed heads on many of the plants in winter to feed the birds.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:25 AM

409 posts, read 401,078 times
Wild birds require four things to be attracted to a backyard: food, water, shelter and nesting sites

Attracting Birds, Birding Basics

Old 08-01-2014, 06:33 AM

15,593 posts, read 9,616,105 times
don't forget the patience.

It took them almost 2 weeks to find the birdbath I put out. And a lot of birds are territorial. If they're finding what they need where they are, you're just going to have to wait for a new kid on the block to show up.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 AM

61 posts, read 69,348 times
wow - I hadn't considered any of these things. I will definitely try. Also, I suspect my hummingbird feeder is not up to par. I bought the organic "healthy" perishable hummingbird food, and filled the red glass feeder up. The little hummers come, but they can't drink out of my fancy feeder! lol Going to have to fix that too I guess.

Thanks for the advice on the song birds. I think I'm doing this wrong.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:37 PM

38,447 posts, read 18,207,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
don't forget the patience.

It took them almost 2 weeks to find the birdbath I put out. And a lot of birds are territorial. If they're finding what they need where they are, you're just going to have to wait for a new kid on the block to show up.
This is absolutely true......when birds have their territories claimed and defined......they are very wary to move to another......many times migratory birds return to the same pond or woodlot or park for years....probably generations.....but due to over crowding--population growth... they do need to find new sites.....patience is a good recommendation.....if you build it they will come. But be sure the hummer feeder is operational.....are the openings capped?

BTW those bejeweled dainty ballerinas of the air....AKA as hummingbirds....are very territorial and pugnacious fighters and don't just sip nectar......they are omnivores and can just as easily snap up a fly or mosquito as sip all the pretty little flowers to keep their voice clear". Watching a yard with several busy hummingbirds is like watching Star Wars played out in your back yard.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:09 PM

6,528 posts, read 8,627,071 times
Many types of birds require different things. Mockingbirds will sing but only the male in matting season and they are bug eaters. So don't expect to see them at the bird feeder and they don't bath too often. Male Cardinals will sing when looking for a mate but are seed eaters. Bluejays sing or make noise when they feel like it or a cat or snake is in the area and usually makes other Bluejays appear. Doves have life partners, so the only time you will hear them coo is when a single male is looking for a mate. Starlings and sparrows are not song birds but always hanging around for freebies. Many birds will not use a birdbath unless there is something very nearby, like a tree, for them to land on first to make sure it's safe.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 PM

3,480 posts, read 4,366,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thupermoon View Post
Any ideas on how to attract song birds? I live in a small community not far from the country, and you'd think a few birds would be interested in my trees. I put out fancy bird feeders and baths, and still no birds. No cats around... I wonder what the deal is? Anyone have ideas or explanations?

We do have doves, which are interesting to watch, and they build their nests near my home. Still, it would be nice to have birdsong in the morning.
My mom has some pretty extensive forsythia bushes in her yard--the birds love those, even in winter she has a bunch. She has a feeder right next to the bushes in front of her window--it's a never-ending parade of birds.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM

3,783 posts, read 7,179,497 times
You won't see cardinals or bluejays in California, but you should have mockingbirds and scrub jays (not exactly songbirds). I'd expect house sparrows and house finches to come for sunflower seeds or mixed seeds. If you use straight sunflower, eventually the American goldfinches, and maybe lesser goldfinches, should discover your feeders. You can also get a special feeder for nyger ("thistle") seed for the goldfinches.

Are the seeds visible in these fancy feeders, or do the birds actually have to arrive at the feeder to discover what it is? What kind of trees do you have? Do you have any shrubs or other plants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or