U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,442,363 times

Advertisements

I got a late start with a patio plant Roma tomato, it just now has flowers on it. I might get some tomatoes eventually. Meanwhile I'm watering my neighbor's garden while they are on vacation and there are two juicy red tomatoes there that I ought to pick before they rot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 PM

418 posts, read 473,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
I'm in Oregon, Willamette Valley, and this hot weather has my tomato plants loaded with tomatoes in all stages. I have eaten one small stupice, some sun golds. In the next few days I'm going to be eating a bunch and then canning the rest. I have Sun gold, Stupice, Siletz, Brandywine and one unknown I grabbed at our local Organics store and forgot to save the label.
I'm in Milwaukie, OR and mine about where yours are, enjoying the combo of heat plus last week's rain. Ate my first Sun Gold today, with a ton more green/approaching yellow ones coming soon. The Stupices are doing well, although not really even close to red. I didn't plant Brandywines this year because I forgot to- the seeds are stored in a different place than all the rest. Also planted a Saucey plant this year for the first time. It's loaded with small tomatoes at this point.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:10 AM

10,408 posts, read 7,495,645 times
I'm such a novice I'm not sure what I've got. Wanted to say I found one of those upside down tomato planters in a thrift shop. It's going really well (plant purchased from Home Depot). We've gotten a couple of tomatoes off of it so far and there are many more ripening.

I also got two of the little cheap single tomato seed pods (Miracle Grow) that you root in your windowsill. They're planted in the bed out front and have begun producing.

It's a rental and we eat a lot of salads so I'm satisfied. We're zone 7. I may get tomatoes until Christmas.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:36 AM

2,698 posts, read 1,775,658 times
We bought starter plants, a patio and a cherry type, and put them in pots. Both have great foliage and a decent amount of fruits but they are just starting to ripen. We have been picking onesie-twosies for a couple of weeks now.

Zone 7, in case you're curious. Wonder how my neighbor's plants are doing.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:28 AM

5,541 posts, read 4,394,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon13 View Post
Having a garden with around 15 tomato plants in the backyard, I went ahead and invested in a food mill. Donít have to peel or seed! Looks wonderful though. Nothing better than a fresh tomato sauce. Love to make my fresh marinara into a vodka cream sauce as well. Heavenly!
Here in south Texas, the "middle of summer" was months ago. We are now in Hades.

Plants were pulled and tossed out a while back. We do get to enjoy tomatoes in April and May.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,420,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
My plants are covered in green tomatoes. No bug issues, but most of my plants have BLIGHT! I'm pretty sure it is blight...and it is the first time I'm seeing it.

I have a variety of tomatoes..some plum and luckily I planted a coupe of Legend. Sadly they're the smallest plants. But they do have fruit on them and they seem to be blight free. My pepper in the same bed seems to have gotten the blight, and some of the fruit is getting deformed and falling off. Hopefully they'll ripen before the plants completely croak.

I'd almost forgotten the self-sown yellow cherry tomatoes. They're disease free and lovely as usual, but no ripe fruit yet.
Correction it looks like they actually have something called Septoria leaf spot. I pulled out two plants and hopefully the increased air circulation will help them.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:33 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,527,326 times
Not very good here, the temps have been too low, even by ND Standards. Very few days have reached above 75F, Most nights have been in the very low 50s or mid to high 40s.

Only got a few Cherry tomatoes and one "Striped Marvel" Everything else is either just starting to blossem or has a few small green fruits. Typically we can expect our first frost in September. They better get into high gear if they are going to do anything.

What are temps are like:

The banner is "live" and upgrades about twice an hour.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 AM

11,729 posts, read 16,473,515 times
The first planting was exhausted and we ripped everything out Sunday and replanted Roma.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 AM

34,612 posts, read 42,779,610 times
I will be cleaning out most of the tomato plants this week. They are done. I'll clean things up and put in some sage and oregano plants I bought yesterday. I'll plant some lettuce and radish seeds when it cools down a bit.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:01 PM

69,357 posts, read 79,541,504 times
We have had such a strange year: most of the temps have been way below normal but so has the rain fall, so our garden didn't set the world on fire. A lot of people are bringing tomatoes into work out classes, etc to get rid of them. We are coming to the end of the season here. I have several very small green ones that will be ripe in about a month, but the rest including the yellow grape ones are about gone. If I wasn't so excited about doing a container garden next year, I would rip out everything we have and start a fall garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or