U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:06 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,560,676 times

Advertisements

Late spring, here. We're starting to get tomatoes, finally, but nothing like the abundant crop last season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 03:40 PM

34,571 posts, read 42,741,316 times
Funny, because here in GA, even though its still hot as blazes, I can feel fall coming on. Everything is tired and ragged and in need of cleaning out and refreshing.
Today I weeded and fertilized the flower beds, snipped and dead headed, then gave everything a good drink. I love the sound of a sprinkler shooting water.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,956,389 times
I have had one single ripe tomato this year after it sat green on the vine forever. There are a few more out there just sitting..green.

This is a big change for me moving to SC and planting my first tomatoes here. Ohio is to growing tomatoes, what Italy is to growing wine grapes. In Ohio I always had bumper crops of awesome tomatoes. I could literally fill both sides of my kitchen sink to the top.

Not sure if this is normal in SC, maybe it's the weather. Weather here has been cooler than normal with tons of rain all year.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:23 PM

34,571 posts, read 42,741,316 times
My first big southern gardening lesson was that tomatoes can't set fruit over 74 degrees, so my first season was a total bust.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 PM

289 posts, read 310,661 times
I have not a single ripe tomato. We skipped over spring here in Wisconsin and went right from winter to summer around Memorial Day weekend, so I didn't get anything planted sooner. And the summer's been rather cold, so the tomatoes and peppers in my garden didn't even flower til about a week ago. My rhubarb is loving it, though.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:03 PM

749 posts, read 715,972 times
I have planted mine in large pots, with excellent soil, and they are doing very well.......i had my first tomato yesterday.....

Old 08-09-2014, 09:48 PM

17,999 posts, read 17,159,915 times
I finally started getting little grape tomatoes (were marked as cherry tomatoes, oh well.)

The big tomatoes are sitting there, green. Everything looks good though. We've had a beautiful cool, dry summer and things are doing much better than they do in the usual hot and humid situation.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:01 AM

64,997 posts, read 47,336,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I finally started getting little grape tomatoes (were marked as cherry tomatoes, oh well.)

The big tomatoes are sitting there, green. Everything looks good though. We've had a beautiful cool, dry summer and things are doing much better than they do in the usual hot and humid situation.
Nice! Feels good, right? While Humid conditions help diseases and Blight issues I think I agree plants like that humidity factor. Last year was insane with dewpoints hitting 70F or higher for 30 days in a row! Sick.

I finally picked 2 batches of tomatoes. Couple weeks late. Only 4 weeks left. Don't see many new blooms either.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM

17,999 posts, read 17,159,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice! Feels good, right? While Humid conditions help diseases and Blight issues I think I agree plants like that humidity factor. Last year was insane with dewpoints hitting 70F or higher for 30 days in a row! Sick.

I finally picked 2 batches of tomatoes. Couple weeks late. Only 4 weeks left. Don't see many new blooms either.
A few days ago I read in the local paper that it's already time to pick the flowers off the tomatoes because they won't have enough time to turn into tomatoes. Mine are loaded with flowers but I did chop the tops off because my tomatoes are indeterminate and would have kept going forever. May as well let all the energy go into making tomatoes that have a chance of ripening.

Yes, last summer was the most horrible summer ever. Sickening, it was so hot. This year is like paradise

Old 08-10-2014, 12:23 PM

69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A few days ago I read in the local paper that it's already time to pick the flowers off the tomatoes because they won't have enough time to turn into tomatoes. Mine are loaded with flowers but I did chop the tops off because my tomatoes are indeterminate and would have kept going forever. May as well let all the energy go into making tomatoes that have a chance of ripening.

Yes, last summer was the most horrible summer ever. Sickening, it was so hot. This year is like paradise
You know you could be really nice and share them with those of us that have crops almost finished for the season. Do you need our addresses or can you just find us on line? I am think of you as well as us: I wouldn't want to see your lovely tomatoes go to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or