Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:07 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
I have about two acres of land at about 3800' in Southern New Mexico. It was used years ago for cotton but has been fallow over ten years. I have access to water for some seasonal irrigation. We get most of our rain in the Summer. I am intrigued by lavender. I figure that even if I never manage to cultivate it for sale or some type of use, it would look better than it does now and smell great. What thoughts do you all have on this?
First off, I am not a gardening expert, but I discovered something since my last post: Spanish Lavender = French Lavender! The Spanish is the one that didn't grow for us in the foothills of ABQ. Here are two links for the different plants:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...ustifolia.html

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...a_dentata.html

The French/Spanish is for zone 8-10 so check your zone. The English is for zones 5-9.

The French has lower water requirements, according to the links. Having said that, we had absolutely no problem with our English over the past summer, and ABQ is very dry. If you have access to irrigation that is a plus.

The English is the variety known for lavender fragrance, typically used for perfumes, etc.

I would think your zone may be closer to that of Dallas/Texas, but your overall weather patterns are probably more similar to Albuq. So it's not an easy decision, although your post indicated you'd try the French. You may want to put an English or two in there just to see how they compare. I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out next year!

p.s. Btw there is extensive lavender cultivation in the "valley" areas of Albuq - you may want to check what varieties they would recommend for your area. They grow it on a commercial scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 10:13 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
We could never grow it in Texas. Had trouble with it even in England...the French lavender grew like a champ.
p.s. The English lavender is not native to England - it comes from mediterranean areas, primarily the Pyrenees mtns of Spain!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 794 times
I would love to grow it but i don't no where to get. I live rio rancho NM
So where can i get a lavender plant i want to grow it badly

Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Lavender grows easy from seed and healthier, just sow the seed in a course sand mix and let it sit from fall, through the winter and in spring the seeds should germinate. They are easy to separate and take the stress of transplanting like champs. I think you can chill the seeds in the vegetable crisper for two weeks and they germinate easier. Rosemary also starts well from seed, both attract bees of all sorts. I maintain yards and find lavender seedlings in the gravel paths all the time, I pluck them out and transplant them to where I want them and they typically take. A seedling can get to blooming size in one year, about a foot across. I have an English lavender in my front yard that I planted back in 2001, it got to 5 feet tall and 4 wide, a wind storm broke it apart, but I was able to trim it back with good new growth this year. We get wet here, so I have it planted in a bed raised 16 inches above soil line and it does very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden