U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,065,953 times

Advertisements

Sunflowers are a cash crop in many parts of the world. How else would we have sunflower oil for cooking and seeds for kids to chew and spit the hulls ? (grin)

Jim B. In Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,777,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If I had them popping up, I would let them grow.
I love seeing them in unusual places, as if they've "escaped" from captivity.
I'm very fond of naturalizing in general, great for the birds and the bees.

Me too!

But the OP does not have them popping up.
The neighbors deliberately allow them in their front yard. THAT is what bugs the OP, the front yard part.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I notice some people in my neighborhood let their sunflowers grow in their front yards. Our neighborhood has a lot of established vegetation, it is older so some interesting things pop up in yards here. Some of it I love and some of it I think looks more like weeds. I'm on the fence about Sunflowers. If you had them popping up in your yard would you pull them out or let them grow? I think I would let them grow in the back yard if they were in some of my less formally landscaped flower beds, but wouldn't look right out front.
A weed can be anything growing where is doesn't belong, it can be mint growing in the middle of your rock garden, it can be grass in your veggie garden or yes, sunflowers where you don't want them, but that doesn't make them weeds to everyone. wildflowers are weeds to some people; pretty weeds, but still weeds.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 AM

5,192 posts, read 3,013,296 times
It's a tough compromise - consider the creatures or tend the lawn. Hah. DH has several bird feeders and we have a zoo in our back yard. It makes deck sitting a pleasurable experience.

But the bird seed finds its way to the front yard. Every afternoon I make the rounds and pull out all manner of uninvited plants. (I have two sunflowers that I've been allowing to stay out by the garage.)

Some years, being curious, I've allowed those which begin in a flower bed to go ahead and grow just to be able to identify them. This has had varying results. I've now got something firmly entrenched in one garden that spreads by roots and I'm unsure if I'll ever eradicate it completely!

Sunday on the front page of the local paper was a picture of a man in our town in his front yard which he had completely seeded with wild prairie. He was waist deep in coneflowers, tall grass, fleabane. We drove over to have a look. Very cheerful though certainly out of place in that lovely well-manicured neighborhood.

I'm laughing wondering how his neighbors feel about it. Hope he knows a thing or two about those indigenous plants or he may be in for a few surprises.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 AM

21,070 posts, read 15,259,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Me too!

But the OP does not have them popping up.
The neighbors deliberately allow them in their front yard. THAT is what bugs the OP, the front yard part.

Well, I did get that the OP doesn't approve of them in the front yard.
But s/he did ask: "If you had them popping up in your yard would you pull them out or let them grow?" so I answered.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 AM

34,671 posts, read 42,807,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Should come down here and I could take you to the Ohio River bottoms where a couple farmers will plant 20-30 acres of sunflowers for the wildlife to feed on. Deer love them!
The first year we lived in Medina Co, OH, a farmer planted acres and acres of sunflowers. It was an incredible sight.

I grew my first one ever from seed this year, and it is truly amazing that this huge thing could grow from one small seed.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,777,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Well, I did get that the OP doesn't approve of them in the front yard.
But s/he did ask: "If you had them popping up in your yard would you pull them out or let them grow?" so I answered.

Yes, you did.
And I agreed with you!

I don't see the problem....

Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,264,649 times
I did and I did. I now have a beautiful Sunflower plant with multiple flowers blooming in a flower bed in my front yard where my Irises and other flowers were shredded by a hail storm. I also have at least 7 different species of pollinators crawling and flying around the blooms.
I am on my way to the hardware store for more deer repellant. That seems to prove that life is not perfect, just good.

uh

Old 08-12-2014, 01:16 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,509,635 times
I'm not a fan of the manicured suburban monoculture grass lawn. Sunflowers? Yup, love them! We planted some in the ell of our house because I was tired of looking at blank white walls. So now we have lovely tall sunflowers in various stages of bloom. They make me happy.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:22 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Should come down here and I could take you to the Ohio River bottoms where a couple farmers will plant 20-30 acres of sunflowers for the wildlife to feed on. Deer love them!

Wow acres of sunflowers. Does it get any better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden