Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:39 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,842,465 times

Advertisements

Too bad you can't grow weed in your front yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 01:44 PM

59 posts, read 84,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I notice some people in my neighborhood let their sunflowers grow in their front yards. Our neighborhood has a lot of established vegetation, it is older so some interesting things pop up in yards here. Some of it I love and some of it I think looks more like weeds. I'm on the fence about Sunflowers. If you had them popping up in your yard would you pull them out or let them grow? I think I would let them grow in the back yard if they were in some of my less formally landscaped flower beds, but wouldn't look right out front.

A weed is any plant that is growing where it is not wanted.

That is why corn is considered a weed if it comes up in a soybean field.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:49 PM

59 posts, read 84,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
How about this daffynishun :
A weed is a plant of which mankind has not found a use for yet.
Wrong.

There are uses for corn but corn growing in a soybean field is still considered a weed.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:22 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,218,755 times
We have acres, acres and acres of cultivated sunflowers out here on the South Plains. I've seen some rural homes with a plant or two planted around their buildings as ornamentals. These plants can produce a seed head that well over a foot in diameter.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or...7ecdb1dade.jpg

Old 08-12-2014, 05:35 PM

506 posts, read 324,829 times
In my opinion, sunflowers are one of the most "useful" plants and they look good, so if one randomly started growing in my front or back yard, I wouldn't pull it. However, if you really do not want it to be where it is, you should pull it out.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:37 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,676,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Should come down here and I could take you to the Ohio River bottoms where a couple farmers will plant 20-30 acres of sunflowers for the wildlife to feed on. Deer love them!

And Goldfinches!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 PM

25,322 posts, read 16,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Sunflowers!! Uhhggggggggg!

Every year I buy sunflower seeds for my front and back yard. I rarely get a plant. Meanwhile they grow, well like weeds, on the side of roads and along highways where they get no attention at all I tried just throwing the seeds on the ground and leaving them alone. No luck
Interesting you say that.
I grow wildflowers in a small area beside my water garden. You DO NOT tend wildflowers. They don't like it! You rarely water them and fertilize carefully because most fertilizers are heavy on nitrogen, which grows big leaves, but not blooms. For better blooms, use a fertilizer heavy on phosphorous - that's the second number on the package. Like 10-50-10.

As much as I love my wildflowers and the mosquito eating dragonflies they attract, I do not allow sunflowers in my water garden area. But that's only because they don't they are too tall for what I've got going on. Black-eyed Susan, yes.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,330,630 times
Quote:

Every year I buy sunflower seeds for my front and back yard. I rarely get a plant. Meanwhile they grow, well like weeds, on the side of roads and along highways where they get no attention at all I tried just throwing the seeds on the ground and leaving them alone. No luck
True story.

I love sunflowers but they don't love me.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:08 PM

756 posts, read 827,811 times
I love sunflowers! I would never consider them as a weed! They attract bees which are all dying but perhaps they will eat the sunflowers and live again. I buy 10 pound bags and 20 pound bags of "Bird Food". (They only contain sunflower seeds) I scatter them everywhere and then I put soil on top of them. For best results, Sunflowers love water and they also love partial shade (lol). The sunflowers survive through heat (with water) and they even survive through freezing temperatures (for a few hours only. They do not live through snow.) I have had some sunflowers grow to 10 FEET!

I love my sunflower jungle. and I do not care if it bothers the neighbors. Another talent I have is seeing how many things I can do to annoy people when it has absolutely nothing to do with them.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM

37,407 posts, read 45,595,277 times
Quote:

I have to say, I have never ever seen sunflowers growing on the sides of roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden