U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:49 PM

326 posts, read 653,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
I love sunflowers! I would never consider them as a weed! They attract bees which are all dying but perhaps they will eat the sunflowers and live again. I buy 10 pound bags and 20 pound bags of "Bird Food". (They only contain sunflower seeds) I scatter them everywhere and then I put soil on top of them. For best results, Sunflowers love water and they also love partial shade (lol). The sunflowers survive through heat (with water) and they even survive through freezing temperatures (for a few hours only. They do not live through snow.) I have had some sunflowers grow to 10 FEET!

I love my sunflower jungle. and I do not care if it bothers the neighbors. Another talent I have is seeing how many things I can do to annoy people when it has absolutely nothing to do with them.
Bird food huh? I will give that a try next year

In my old neighborhood I was able to grow a very tall, multi flower plant. The stalk a half to a full inch thick. Been trying to get a repeat performance every since.

OP, I love sunflowers but I would not grow them in my front lawn. But I would them in my flowering beds - front, back or side. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 PM

546 posts, read 1,417,930 times
I actually like Sunflowers and have nothing against them, or other things people like to grow. I have hundreds of Shasta Daisies in my back yard and I had someone tell me she considers them weeds and I was very offended by that so I would never be judgmental about what one person thinks is pretty and others consider weeds. I was just curious what people think of Sunflowers in general. One of my neighbors just lets them grow randomly in weird places around her front yard and in the middle of the front lawn. Maybe she just likes them and that is fine! We used to live in one of those perfectly manicured type neighborhoods and I would much rather see yards with wildflowers and random stuff growing--as long as it is cared for and not making the neighborhood look run down.

My next door neighbor has a lot of random Sunflowers growing all over their back yard. If they make there way over to my backyard I will let them grow. I guess it depends where in the front--don't think I would let it stay in the middle of the front lawn but maybe try to move it close to the house or in a bed.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Here's one of mine:

image by emeraldmaiden63, on Flickr

Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 AM

953 posts, read 605,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Just about everything loves them, butterflies, birds, and yes even the squirrels in the fall.
Definitely the squirrels go after sunflower seeds.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,512,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
How about this daffynishun :
A weed is a plant of which mankind has not found a use for yet.
Might not fit all occasions. A watermelon growing in a corn field would probably be considered a weed around here. I for one can find a use for a nice ripe watermelon but it would be a weed in my corn field, if I had a corn field.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 AM

5,171 posts, read 2,998,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Here's one of mine:

image by emeraldmaiden63, on Flickr
Beautiful! That must be some kind of a hybrid? It looks a lot like what we used to call Indian blanket flowers. I think they call them something else now.

My black-eyed susans are in full bloom right now. I think they must be a cousin. Rudbeckia. They grow like weeds. They are especially dear to me because I went home and Dad helped me dig some out from the yard where I grew up.

I leave the dried stems up all winter. It looks a little ragged but the birds appreciate it.

When my husband's cousins from Holland were here they said that in the Netherlands they call them Susannah-with-the-beautiful-eyes. I think I like that better.

I remember the first time I saw fields of sunflowers as we were traveling. And as the day went on all those sunshiny blossoms followed the sun just like an entranced audience following an actor on the stage. So in the morning they all looked east in anticipation and at the end of the day were all watching the sun fade in the western sky. It was whimsical.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Yes, they are some sort of multicolor variety. Some are like the one pictured, some are all yellow petals with brown centers on smaller heads.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:40 PM

13 posts, read 25,122 times
Uh ..... well I beg your pardon!!! The sunflower is the official state flower of the Great State of Kansas!!! And yes, they do grow wild along side the roads in Kansas. But then again in certain parts of the state, so too does marijuana grow wild along side the roads ..... and of course no one would EVER call that a WEED!!! :P

Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,410,318 times
I have a bed out by the road that I've given over to the weeds, then. There are joe pye weed, eupatorium perfoliatum and self-sown sunflowers blooming there now. I planted the sunflowers one year, and I guess the seeds fell on the ground, because now they come back by themselves.

If my neighbors don't like them then too bad... I got the idea to plant them out by the road because there is a house across the way that has a TON of sunflowers out front every year. We live in a rural area, so I think it looks pretty. They definitely can look wild, but if there are a lot of them it looks cool. Plus how awesome is it that these are native to North America?

There are so many different sizes and colors to choose from. Sunflowers feed pollinators and they feed hungry animals. You can also eat the seeds of many varieties. If they self sow that is just a bonus. Not a weed.

Last edited by kinkytoes; 08-17-2014 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden