U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:08 AM

6,413 posts, read 8,865,114 times

Advertisements

We are getting early fall here in far northern California, but due to drought stress, even the redwood trees are losing some of their leaves. My big leaf maple tree usually starts losing leaves in late September and it looks like that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,964,560 times
I am in western SC where fall comes on very late, and have been sweeping leaves off my porch already for 2 weeks.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:53 PM

5,194 posts, read 3,015,647 times
South central MN.

My sumac started changing two weeks ago. That's early. But I've been seeing signs of an early fall all summer. Makes me shudder since we had virtually no spring and a dreadfully long cold winter.

Our neighbor has a monster oak tree in his back yard. Every fall it drops its acorns on his neighbors deck and we listen to what sounds like gunshots for the longest time. The last couple of days I could swear I've heard a few drop. Well, hope it's acorns.

The swimming hole never did warm up as it usually does because of the torrents of rain. And last week the temps were down to the mid-fifties which is darned cold for August.

When I was a kid, fifty-some years ago, August was our warmest month. The dog days of August. People without air conditioners, which was most of us, used to sleep outside.

What's really strange though is that we still have lightening bugs. Never have seen that all my life. Usually they show up around the Fourth of July and last only a couple of weeks.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:16 AM

13,140 posts, read 17,686,977 times
You all know it is all the crap in the air that companys have been spraying and ruining our environment and now maybe the eco system is messed up and we are all seeing the effects of it . excessively long winters , short or no spring and very hot summers . We have had very little rain here in the ohio valley . I see another long winter in store for us but I hope not .

Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM

6,952 posts, read 8,895,670 times
We have the leaves turning red on the trees AND spring-flowering plants like Mockorange blooming again, in total confusion. Unseasonably cool weather this year (at least where I live, in Michigan) is probably the culprit.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,526,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
We have the leaves turning red on the trees AND spring-flowering plants like Mockorange blooming again, in total confusion. Unseasonably cool weather this year (at least where I live, in Michigan) is probably the culprit.
I don't know if this summer has been cooler than normal here in Denver, but it definitely hasn't been hotter than normal. I think we only hit 100 twice so far. And the monsoons have been fairly strong with regular rain (good thing) that cools off the evenings. We had a freak snow storm on May 11 after everything was already green, but I don't think that predicts what will happen this coming winter. But no trees are turning colors here yet. Normally not until early October.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 1,814 times
I saw a red maple with leaves changing on it in my area.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:16 PM

5,194 posts, read 3,015,647 times
I'm still wondering why the wrens returned for a second nesting. I have heard they can do this but in our area they have nearly always been gone by mid-July.

It must not have been such a pleasant experience for them as this second batch were raised in total silence. No joyous proclamations from the rooftop or echoing replies from the spouse. Almost as if they were depressed.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:34 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,444,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm still wondering why the wrens returned for a second nesting. I have heard they can do this but in our area they have nearly always been gone by mid-July.

It must not have been such a pleasant experience for them as this second batch were raised in total silence. No joyous proclamations from the rooftop or echoing replies from the spouse. Almost as if they were depressed.
That's funny. They probably have had it with the demanding babies but they must have thought they were up for a second brood! On the other hand my normally vociferous wrens are very quiet now too. I notice this a lot in August when things are winding down for the season. The robins for instance molt in August and they practically hide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or