Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 02:00 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times

Advertisements

I have a container garden on my deck. It's on the 2nd level so not many critters have access to it. For about 2 weeks now I have discovered early morning that something is knocking my tomatoes off the vines. It's both red and green tomatoes. It looks as if whatever it is tries to eat the tomatoes but I usually find busted tomatoes with pieces scattered. So whatever it is isn't devouring the fruit.

Back in late spring and early summer I had a pack of mourning doves that was trying to build a nest on my deck but they eventually gave up since the railing was entirely too small. However, since the first of August I've noticed mourning doves back again. Perhaps it's the same birds from before. I think that they are yet again trying to build a nest.

I've read that these birds aren't interested in tomato plants. What could this be? I purchased a white and black plastic snake from the dollar store today hoping that this is discourage whatever it is that's destroying my hard work. Any advice on what else I can do or what may be responsible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Could it be fluctuations of weather extremes?

Old 08-14-2014, 02:29 PM

I thought about that but I don't think it's the weather. Plus whatever the cause is doesn't seem to bother my other container items (squash and bell peppers). I'm in IL if that helps. It truly looks as if something is attempting to eat the tomatoes.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:17 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I thought about that but I don't think it's the weather. Plus whatever the cause is doesn't seem to bother my other container items (squash and bell peppers). I'm in IL if that helps. It truly looks as if something is attempting to eat the tomatoes.
My guess and it is a guess is opossums.

They are very much creatures of habit and will repeat their steps night after night. they might not even be interested in the tomatoes, they just happen to be in a path to goodies.

If possible see if you can Move the tomatoes about 6 feet or so and see if the critters still bother them.

They might not be opossums but what you describe is hollering opossum, in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Squirrels are notorious for breaking open tomatoes, sucking out the juice and leaving the rest. I don't know if it works, but some people suggest putting a bowl of water nearby so they have that to drink instead of your tomato juice.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
My guess and it is a guess is opossums.

They are very much creatures of habit and will repeat their steps night after night. they might not even be interested in the tomatoes, they just happen to be in a path to goodies.

If possible see if you can Move the tomatoes about 6 feet or so and see if the critters still bother them.

They might not be opossums but what you describe is hollering opossum, in my opinion.
Oh, my.

A neighbor did warn me about using the back entrance to my building because opossums hang out there. I have never encountered one but thanks for this info. Eek, I hope I never disturb one on my deck. I've heard that they aren't friendly.

But yes, this "thing" doesn't even seem to have terrible interest in consuming the tomatoes.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Squirrels are notorious for breaking open tomatoes, sucking out the juice and leaving the rest. I don't know if it works, but some people suggest putting a bowl of water nearby so they have that to drink instead of your tomato juice.
I had a thought that this "thing" may be using the tomatoes as a water source. I'll leave out a bowl of water tonight.

Thanks, everyone!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:54 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Oh, my.

A neighbor did warn me about using the back entrance to my building because opossums hang out there. I have never encountered one but thanks for this info. Eek, I hope I never disturb one on my deck. I've heard that they aren't friendly.

But yes, this "thing" doesn't even seem to have terrible interest in consuming the tomatoes.
They are very far from being dangerous. They will growl, hiss, show their teeth and act vicious but will avoid any actual attack.

there is no real danger of getting bit. If worse comes to worse they will faint, flop over and look dead.

As long as you don't try to pick it up, it is almost impossible to get bit by one. They will just waddle off on their Merry way if you don't touch them.

For more information see HERE

Old 08-15-2014, 09:05 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
I was so pissed when all (and I mean ALL) my tomatoes were knocked off the plant a few days ago. Anyway, don't throw away the undamaged green ones. I put them in a clear plastic clam box and let them sit against the south window. A few are ripening now. So you may still get to eat some of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden