Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 02:09 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,013,428 times

Advertisements

Buy seeds now (on sale, leftovers) for spring planting, or should I wait for the new ones they will release later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,561,953 times
Or . . . why wait?

I'm started the fall cool season crops two weeks ago (peas, lettuce, kale) and I'm putting in a second crop of onions tomorrow so I have onion sets for next spring.

If you get a hoop house ready, you could plan some cool season veggies to and harvest into late October in NY.

I usually buy seeds as cheaply as I can, vac seal them, and pop them in the crisper section of my 'fridge. Most of them germinate in the spring (or whenever I plant within two years).

Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,164,384 times
I keep seeds in the freezer. They'll last there for years.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,342,251 times
The only reason I'd skip buying seeds now is...what would I do in winter? That is normally when I have fun planning the garden and buying seeds, since there is not much to do outside.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:42 PM

I thought I might put some aside and try winter sowing. I've also thrown a few around some loosened soil to see if they will grow enough for a last color burst before the first frost.

My veggies didn't too well, but I'm going to prep a few containers for a few this week.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:13 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,291,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Buy seeds now (on sale, leftovers) for spring planting, or should I wait for the new ones they will release later?
I wish we could find them on sale, but about mid July they all get put away. I know some say, only use seeds marked for this season, but I am still using beans that are 3 years old and they did as well this year as ever. I am going to take the seeds from our acorn squash we will be having in a couple of days and save them for next spring.

Kinkytoes: you can still plan the garden for spring, you will just have some of the seeds, but I know what you mean. I am already planning on what container will have this and what will have that, as well as placing them in the garden. At least I am doing this in my head.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:35 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,012,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wish we could find them on sale, but about mid July they all get put away. I know some say, only use seeds marked for this season, but I am still using beans that are 3 years old and they did as well this year as ever. I am going to take the seeds from our acorn squash we will be having in a couple of days and save them for next spring.

Kinkytoes: you can still plan the garden for spring, you will just have some of the seeds, but I know what you mean. I am already planning on what container will have this and what will have that, as well as placing them in the garden. At least I am doing this in my head.
Almost all of the seed carrying stores tell me that they turn them back in for credit. Yes; it is extremely difficult to find seeds this time of the year. I really complain when they turn in the colder weather seeds and keep only warm weather seeds - not too many of us (in the northern half of the Country) want to plant tomatoes, corn and egg plant this time of the year.

I do presume that online we can buy anything that we want? But I do like the stores to remind me that I still want to plant!

Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 AM

I've bought all my seeds online. Many popular varieties are sold out but there still are many, many left.

PM me if you want a list of the sites I use.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:23 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,342,251 times
You can post them on the thread if you like. I'm interested in seeing where other people get their seeds.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 PM

outsidepride.com - bulk packages. I purchased a 1/4 northeastern wildflower mix that did wonderfully. still have most of the package left. I plan to make seed bombs that I'll throw around just before the first frost. I also purchased mini-clover that I just planted and is sprouting.

Park Seed http://parkseed.com/

Seed Savers Exchange - Organic, Heirloom Garden Seed Info & Store

seeds now - haven't planted what I purchased from here yet. that will be spring

http://sustainableseedco.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden