U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
 
Location: MID ATLANTIC
7,598 posts, read 17,614,249 times
Reputation: 8078

Advertisements

If its a small lawn, like my townhouse, my Houndogger hand aereator does the trick nice. Didn't cost more than $20 and has paid its way for over a decade. Still works great. I can do the lawn and flower beds in just an hour, maybe 2.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM
 
1,988 posts, read 2,302,723 times
Reputation: 2010
I gave up on doing this due to my sprinkler system - I thought it might wind up damaging it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 01:31 PM
 
Location: 4222'55.2"N 7124'46.8"W
4,837 posts, read 9,230,811 times
Reputation: 2878
I will have to disagree with everyone else here. The point of aerating a yard is to loosen the soil, right? This can be accomplished with a soil conditioner that's applied on a schedule (say, every Spring and Fall). You can also use shampoo that contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate. The cheap stuff usually has this ingredient (think: Suave). Apply with a hose-end sprayer. Or you can just purchase a liquid aerating product:
http://www.amazon.com/Aerify-PLUS-Li.../dp/B00CD444YE


The reason I disagree with manual core aeration is because it brings weed seeds up to the surface of your lawn. If you core aerate and overseed, you will also need to apply a pre-emergent herbicide that's safe to use while seeding, or else your new seedlings will be competing with weeds for water and nutrients.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 04:47 PM
 
23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Reputation: 28539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Is aerating the lawn in fall recommended with overseeding? I'm wondering if it will do anything or it is a waste of time. Does anyone do this?
I have done it most every year. Didn't do it this year as we had so much rain and my yard was just too wet, and I needed to get the seed down. Not a waste of time at all. Especially if you have bare spots that you are reseeding and you any serious rain within a couple of weeks after putting that seed down. If you have aerated before seeding, you can count on that seed at least, to not wash away.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 04:48 PM
 
23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Reputation: 28539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I gave up on doing this due to my sprinkler system - I thought it might wind up damaging it.
Um...you have to mark your sprinklers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2014, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tn
550 posts, read 1,258,103 times
Reputation: 557
When is it too late to aerate and overseed? Here in Knoxville, we are looking at lows in the 30's this weekend. I was planning on overseeding tomorrow, but now not sure if it would be a waste of time this year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2014, 10:40 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 7,175,816 times
Reputation: 4218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I will have to disagree with everyone else here. The point of aerating a yard is to loosen the soil, right? This can be accomplished with a soil conditioner that's applied on a schedule (say, every Spring and Fall). You can also use shampoo that contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate. The cheap stuff usually has this ingredient (think: Suave). Apply with a hose-end sprayer. Or you can just purchase a liquid aerating product:
http://www.amazon.com/Aerify-PLUS-Li.../dp/B00CD444YE


The reason I disagree with manual core aeration is because it brings weed seeds up to the surface of your lawn. If you core aerate and overseed, you will also need to apply a pre-emergent herbicide that's safe to use while seeding, or else your new seedlings will be competing with weeds for water and nutrients.
^^^ Every extension agent in America will tell you to PLEASE not believe this. What do Extension agents know?

More than any of us.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 7,175,816 times
Reputation: 4218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I will have to disagree with everyone else here. The point of aerating a yard is to loosen the soil, right? This can be accomplished with a soil conditioner that's applied on a schedule (say, every Spring and Fall). You can also use shampoo that contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate. The cheap stuff usually has this ingredient (think: Suave). Apply with a hose-end sprayer. Or you can just purchase a liquid aerating product:
Amazon.com : Aerify PLUS Qt- Liquid Soil Aerator and BioActivator : Soil And Soil Amendments : Patio, Lawn & Garden


The reason I disagree with manual core aeration is because it brings weed seeds up to the surface of your lawn. If you core aerate and overseed, you will also need to apply a pre-emergent herbicide that's safe to use while seeding, or else your new seedlings will be competing with weeds for water and nutrients.

A comment on that Aerify Plus, Earth Right, and all over liquid products that claim to relieve soil compaction. I learned this in college turfgrass class, but I still tried one of these products a few years ago when a friend recommended it.

What a waste of money.

What I learned in school was that humic acid products can slightly improve the soil, but only for a short time. They become consumed in the soil, because that's a natural function of the soil ecology process. That's why the labels tell you to keep repeating the applications. So if you pay $30 for enough to do a half acre, that sounds easy and cheap. But you have to apply it, water it in, and then apply it again two weeks later.

But wait, there's more! You then are told to reapply it every 1-2 months. By my calculations, that's one...two...probably 6 times total for a season. That's a whole lot of time and work for about the same or less than you'd pay to get a properaeration done in the fall. And we all know that few people will be diligent enough to actually do all that.

These products are little more than snake oil. They make huge promises that sound too good to be true. Because they are.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2014, 02:47 PM
 
23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Reputation: 28539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
When is it too late to aerate and overseed? Here in Knoxville, we are looking at lows in the 30's this weekend. I was planning on overseeding tomorrow, but now not sure if it would be a waste of time this year.
Lows in the 30's? I think you missed it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2014, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, Tn
550 posts, read 1,258,103 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Lows in the 30's? I think you missed it!
Kind of what I was thinking...

It's 82 today... I thought I had another week or so..lol
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top