U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:00 PM

166 posts, read 156,552 times

Advertisements

Primrose, Hydrangeas, hosta, canna and rose of sharon. (I know its a shrub/bush but I like them a lot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 PM

18,718 posts, read 4,706,572 times
In southern Colorado I find that Zinnias are easy to grow and care for.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,413,676 times
There are a lot. I'll exclude trees/shrubs.
phlox - paniculata, subulata and the "Miss Lingard" phlox. Look good, smell good and trouble free.

crocus
- these are the earliest flowering things in my yard. Where the critters don't eat them, I LOVE them.

Peonies - Even if they flop..they still look good. I like the fragrant ones.

Begonia Grandis - fall flowering, big tropical foliage...hardy in my zone. Love it so much.

Virginia bluebells - Beautiful in spring. Pink buds that turn blue.

Cattail - Beautiful, trouble free and edible. For a wet spot. They are easy to grow, and I use the fronds for decorating.

Ferns - These just say beautiful and lush to me.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:53 PM

893 posts, read 2,460,180 times
I'm in Salem Oregon,
love the traditional coral bells, sedum autumn joys, daisy's and one of my favorite is sea holly's , roses are ok
but one day they will all turn to sedums ,oh almost forgot love gaura, have all three colors..
with my small yard have almost hung out the no vacancy sign...

Old 09-06-2014, 12:46 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,526,200 times
Most of my favorite plants don't grow well where I'm at. I'm near Portland, and no side of our property seems to get full sun, so gardening is a challenge.

But one of my favorite perennials grows really well for me and that's Oriental Lilies. I have purchased some cool selections from the B & D Lilies catalog and am thinking of getting some more.

Also love dahlias and have pretty good luck with those.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,423,402 times
Shady
Ferns
Trillium
Mayapple
Spiderwort
Sunny
Peonies
Siberian irises
Tiger lilies
Bee balm, hybrid and native
Black-eyed Susans
Coneflowers
David Ausin roses
Clematis
Honeysuckle vine
Hosta

Beside the roses, the rest take very little care, other than dividing every few years for some of them.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:23 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,772,509 times
Please don't hate me.

I'm going to mention my favorite ... and no one else mentioned it (too common perhaps?):

DAYLILY

I love daylilies since I was a wee child. They are so easy to grow. There are so many varieties. I'm considering buying a new one online for delivery that is almost pure white with ruffled petals and a yellow throat.

Once I visited Old Westbury Gardens in Long Island that had a long stone wall bordered with hundreds of daylilies of many colors, heights, shapes and sizes. It was gorgeous.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 PM

899 posts, read 1,448,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Please don't hate me.

I'm going to mention my favorite ... and no one else mentioned it (too common perhaps?):

DAYLILY

I love daylilies since I was a wee child. They are so easy to grow. There are so many varieties. I'm considering buying a new one online for delivery that is almost pure white with ruffled petals and a yellow throat.

Once I visited Old Westbury Gardens in Long Island that had a long stone wall bordered with hundreds of daylilies of many colors, heights, shapes and sizes. It was gorgeous.
I think I have some of these! I like them.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:44 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,952,009 times
My all time favorite....I'm such a sucker for peonies

Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,772,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
My all time favorite....I'm such a sucker for peonies
I love the way when they are just round buds there is always an ant roaming around on it. The ants do no damage ... just a normal thing on peonies. I think the bud secretes some kind of sugary moisture ... correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden