U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:02 PM

5,177 posts, read 3,001,131 times

Advertisements

I'm another who loves my 360 million-year-old ferns. They're one of the oldest living things on earth. Make me think of fairy glades.

I have a stand of them in front of our old Victorian house and another by the garage. They require no tending other than a spray of water during the warmest part of summer and a quick grooming here and there.

These I brought with me from my home place so they have especial meaning for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 06:30 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,957,990 times
Sea Thrift!

It forms the prettiest little green mounds with whimsical little pink pom poms. It bloomed all summer for me when I lived up north. It makes pretty borders and provides an animated pop of color.

Quote:
Armeria Dusseldorf Pride Dwarf Sea Thrift, Sea Pink | Neat, evergreen tufts of grass-like foliage with globular bright flowers on 4-8" stems. Excellent for the front of a border. Does well and is colorful almost anywhere. Shear off all old flowers when blooming is done for attractive little clumps all year long. Evergreen for southern gardens. Deep ruby pink flowers. Will need a well-drained soil.

Last edited by L0ve; 09-08-2014 at 06:39 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 11:03 PM

1,480 posts, read 793,861 times
especially good perennials for the PNW (at least west of the cascades) is Shasta daisy, various forms of red hot poker (kniphofia), foxgloves (digitalis), and my favorite the so-called "garden penstemons"--long blooming (mine bloom from late may thru November) and drought tolerant (especially near the coast). think joy creek nursery in scapoose (west of Portland) has an especially wide selection. thrift (armeria) mentioned above is another good plant and the native evergreen iris (iris douglasii) and the hybrids with it as a parent ("pacific coast iris" hybrids) are colorful and tough.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:09 AM

4,245 posts, read 3,315,518 times
Clematis that can be cut back to one foot off the ground each spring, Coreopsis of all kind because I love the texture and flowers, and tree peonies ( a shrub, I know). And hostas.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:48 AM

716 posts, read 964,864 times
Tulips, tulips and did I say tulips?

I plan to expand the front area of my yard this year and plant more tulips. I am considering next year for my wedding, which is in mid-May, to use them in little vases for my centerpieces. We'll see, not sure they will last or if any will grow.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:15 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,681,589 times
Shady: Hostas
Full Sun: Lantana

Old 09-13-2014, 11:07 AM

6,952 posts, read 8,881,411 times
Bee balm (Monarda didyma or Monarda fistulosa) -- bright & colorful, butterflies and hummingbirds shove each other out of the way to get to it, it tolerates full sun up to 3/4 shade, it's super fragrant AND you can make a delicious tea out of the leaves. "Jacob Cline" is my favorite variety -- tremendous fire-engine-red flowers.

Tall Phlox, especially "David" which blooms fragrantly and constantly no matter what you do to it:

"Laura" is another very nice variety but it needs full sun, cannot tolerate shade as most others do:

Yellow Wood Poppy is fantastic -- blooms itself silly even in deep shade:

Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 AM

7 posts, read 5,572 times
Astilbes, bleeding hearts, lilies... There are so many.
But the most difficult thing is to pick the right ones in terms of color, size, hardiness, growing needs and make sure they go well with the perennials already planted.
I found this site, https://www.jardins-sans-secret.com/...ing-Ideas.html, which provides border ideas for spring, summer or fall (per hardiness zones) and the pictures are really beautiful.
Hopefully you will get great inspiration!

Last edited by Isamenton; 09-16-2014 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: url input wrong

Old 09-27-2014, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,377 times
Definitely my favorite perennials would have to be Lavender and any kind of Sedum.
If you are looking for drought tolerant perennials, I wrote an article about the 8 best ones (in my opinion). [url]http://droughtgardening.com/8-best-drought-tolerant-perennials/[/url]

Old 09-28-2014, 06:48 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,062,762 times
I am a little sad making this list because I can't grow many of my favorites where I live now.
Trillium
Hepatica
Snowdrops
Columbine-so many different colors now, but I prefer the old-fashioned red that I remember growing wild along the back roads of NY
Lavendar
Malva- pink or white
Phlox- white David
Digitalis- bloom in the spring for the hummingbirds
Lupine
Peonies- all types, colors, forms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden