U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:37 PM

899 posts, read 1,448,691 times

Advertisements

I have a decent garden established in my new house and am looking at adding some more plants. Tell me what your favorites are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 12:50 AM

6,413 posts, read 8,859,324 times
Lavendar tops my list and rosemary is second on it. I also like feverfew daises and yarrow. I am on the far north coast of California with moderate temperatures, little frost in the winter and it seldom freezes so some annuals may last for up to three years before an infrequent coastal freeze gets them.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 AM

16,245 posts, read 7,116,625 times
Aster "Monch" - blooming its gorgeous lavender head off right now. Started in July and will go for another month easily. Nothing bothers it, not even deer.

Yarrow "Moonshine" - deer do like to nip the flower heads off, but otherwise it is trouble free. Grayish-silver leaves, lemony-yellow flower heads.

Ornamental oregano, several similar cultivars - trouble-free

Feverfew - trouble-free (do you sense a theme here?), easily controlled self-seeder, pops up in the most pleasing places, starts booming June and doesn't quit until practically Thanksgiving

Sweet woodruff - yup, t-f

Hellebores - yup, t-f

Variegated iris - any bearded iris is t-f, but this one has gorgeous leaves all year, as well as lavender iris flowers in June

I am also never without a few pots of single, upright "hardy" fuchsias - they are not trouble-free, but they aren't a *lot* of trouble, and they are sooooo elegant

Edited to add - Puget Sound

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-05-2014 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 AM

3,305 posts, read 4,843,443 times
One of my favorites is Alstroemeria, a long lived flowering perennial that comes in many colors.

Alstroemeria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got some last year and tried to over winer them indoors but they did not survive.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:35 AM

225 posts, read 215,888 times
As far as perennial flowers go, peonies are by far my favorite.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:18 AM

36,435 posts, read 41,656,980 times
anything the deer won't eat.

Actually today my favorites are the many varieties of hosta. i lost so many to deer before we installed our 7 ft deer fence. Now I have some in the back yard 3-4ft across. Interesting these are the same plants decimated by deer but once they were protected the same root stock has sent up some beautiful foliage. It's like they are yelling " AT LAST- WE CAN GROW to the heavens!!!"

Old 09-05-2014, 01:15 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,624,913 times
Christine,
Spirea "little princess", tiny pink flowers, all summer, beautiful foliage,
after the first year, you can ignore it, literally.
Daylilies, LOVE them. Easy peasy to grow. Always dependable.
Iris, though they love water, they will endure a drought period,
I get the iris that blooms spring and fall.
WHy are they my favorite?
No work, you can go on vacation, or get really busy with something
and not have to worry about them. Love them.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:42 PM

16,245 posts, read 7,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Iris, though they love water, they will endure a drought period,
I get the iris that blooms spring and fall.
WHy are they my favorite?
No work, you can go on vacation, or get really busy with something
and not have to worry about them. Love them.
Are you talking about the reblooming bearded iris? I've been interested in trying them, wondered how the show is. Just because they can bloom twice a year doesn't mean they put on a great show twice a year.

They are dead easy to grow here in the PNW. I make sure they are watered through the Fourth, then they bake until the fall rain starts, whenever that happens. Don't do a darned thing to them except deadhead and divide every 2-3 years. Heard a theory that the summer baking is healthy for them. I can certainly attest that it doesn't *hurt*!

Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,143,290 times
I love lupines.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:46 PM

6,413 posts, read 8,859,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Aster "Monch" - blooming its gorgeous lavender head off right now. Started in July and will go for another month easily. Nothing bothers it, not even deer.

Yarrow "Moonshine" - deer do like to nip the flower heads off, but otherwise it is trouble free. Grayish-silver leaves, lemony-yellow flower heads.

Ornamental oregano, several similar cultivars - trouble-free

Feverfew - trouble-free (do you sense a theme here?), easily controlled self-seeder, pops up in the most pleasing places, starts booming June and doesn't quit until practically Thanksgiving

Sweet woodruff - yup, t-f

Hellebores - yup, t-f

Variegated iris - any bearded iris is t-f, but this one has gorgeous leaves all year, as well as lavender iris flowers in June

I am also never without a few pots of single, upright "hardy" fuchsias - they are not trouble-free, but they aren't a *lot* of trouble, and they are sooooo elegant

Edited to add - Puget Sound
Sounds a lot like my garden and what is in it. I have fuchsia magellanica in both red/violet and pink/purple, one is on the Hammond coastal trail outside my house and is over 10 feet tall. I have feverfew all around my yard. Another favorite of mine is Malva sylvestri cultivar Braveheart, it has nice dark blue violet flowers on a stalk much like a hollyhock, the flowers get to 3 inches across and self sows all over and the plants can and will live for up to 5 years or so if there is no hard freeze. The tallest that it has got was a bit over 10 feet tall.

I live 69 miles south of Crescent City and 12 miles north of Eureka and about 1/4 mile from the beach, I have at least 400 pots of plants in sizes from tiny 1 inch pots to half wine barrels. I garden for a living and have frequently 30 yards or more that I maintain and from those yards I get cuttings and seedlings that come up and need to be removed, I bring them home and put them in a willow water bucket for a week or so then pot them up. I start all my redwood cuttings in willow water before potting them in soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden