Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 12:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,294,308 times

Advertisements

Almost two years of mowing without any other issues. Saturday I was mowing and smelled rubber burning, then saw smoke, and while the engine and blade kept going, the mower stopped. I shut it down and found that the drive belt to the transmission failed. That should be an easy fix, once I get the mow deck off. I had to finish the lawn with the old push mower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 03:27 PM

18,755 posts, read 17,995,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Almost two years of mowing without any other issues. Saturday I was mowing and smelled rubber burning, then saw smoke, and while the engine and blade kept going, the mower stopped. I shut it down and found that the drive belt to the transmission failed. That should be an easy fix, once I get the mow deck off. I had to finish the lawn with the old push mower.

Not everything is as 'easy' as it appears! When I had my shop I had steel tables and ramps that I could drive/push them on and then work on a stool underneath. Those drive belts can be a pain because of going over the pulleys and fan on the transaxle. Then you have to check all the tensioning pulleys simply to make sure the bearings are not bad. Good access to the underside of the tractor helps.

I have problems with my property because I get sticks over the deck and they can burn or throw the belts. Some of the time it is simply my fault for being too lazy and thinking I can mow over everything - it doesn't always work.

How did you make out? Did you get the mower off - some of those can be a pain!

I have a mower belt to replace on one rider and my knee is going; so I have been putting it off - but it will catch up with me. I think I'll get the knee fixed first and then worry about the belt!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:28 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,781,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Like waiting for a baby to be born.

Gotta love the crud in gas now that makes things stick. Run STA-BIL thru a few tanks of gas. Gumout, Lucas and Seafoam work wonders as well in the gas and oil as well.
OP, you can look online to find ethanol-free gas vendors, bit hard to find in Seattle but they are there, if you run this the mower will, I think, run better and give you fewer problems. Damn "drunk gas"!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,294,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Not everything is as 'easy' as it appears! When I had my shop I had steel tables and ramps that I could drive/push them on and then work on a stool underneath. Those drive belts can be a pain because of going over the pulleys and fan on the transaxle. Then you have to check all the tensioning pulleys simply to make sure the bearings are not bad. Good access to the underside of the tractor helps.

I have problems with my property because I get sticks over the deck and they can burn or throw the belts. Some of the time it is simply my fault for being too lazy and thinking I can mow over everything - it doesn't always work.

How did you make out? Did you get the mower off - some of those can be a pain!

I have a mower belt to replace on one rider and my knee is going; so I have been putting it off - but it will catch up with me. I think I'll get the knee fixed first and then worry about the belt!
It will have to wait until next weekend, we're off on a weeks vacation Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OP, you can look online to find ethanol-free gas vendors, bit hard to find in Seattle but they are there, if you run this the mower will, I think, run better and give you fewer problems. Damn "drunk gas"!
There is a place in Ballard that has pure gas, right on Market about 24th, called Spirit Gas. Last time I went by (last week) it was just over $4.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 830 times
My tractor turns over but will not start .its a husvanna 24 hp tractor intek engine could it be the coil.? Only 32 hours on the engine.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 AM

18,755 posts, read 17,995,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcgaffic View Post
My tractor turns over but will not start .its a husvanna 24 hp tractor intek engine could it be the coil.? Only 32 hours on the engine.
There is always a chance of a defective coil right out of the box. Generally coils do not go bad and last for many years; they are way down in the list as possible suspects. With lawn/garden tractors the safety switches would be my primary suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden