U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 AM
 
Location: Maine's garden spot
3,095 posts, read 5,426,489 times
Reputation: 3141

Advertisements

I have a '96 cub 2140 that won't turn over, it doesn't do anything. The first shop I took it to, had it for 6 weeks. They replaced the starter and it worked for 2 weeks. Now it's back to not doing anything. There was a melted fuse case under the hood, but it wasn't electrical melting, heat. There was a lot of heat coming from under the hood before I shut it off.


Any ideas as to where to start looking for the problem, aside from the new starter.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,153 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I have a '96 cub 2140 that won't turn over, it doesn't do anything. The first shop I took it to, had it for 6 weeks. They replaced the starter and it worked for 2 weeks. Now it's back to not doing anything. There was a melted fuse case under the hood, but it wasn't electrical melting, heat. There was a lot of heat coming from under the hood before I shut it off.


Any ideas as to where to start looking for the problem, aside from the new starter.

Thanks.
Is it possible that starter was rebuilt; instead of new? Regardless; it should be under warranty - if that is your problem. Parts can be bad right out of the box or the rebuilding process could have been flawed. Your battery is good and you have a good ground/contacts? Hopefully the shop did not give you the new starter and there was another problem?

The heat coming from under the hood bothers me. I presume that you have checked your oil. One other problem that older tractors experience - check for mice nests. The easiest way to do that is to take your leaf blower and force air into/under the motor cowling. Look for nest material coming out. This can also work to get rid of leaves and debris that has accumulated. If you do spot mice debris; you might want to remove the cowling and do a great job cleaning all of that out. I don't know if the repair shop removed that when they did the starter work? I also presume that you have no leaks in your muffler or you would hear.

PS If you do pull the cowling for debris; check to see if any wires were gnawed through.

Last edited by fisheye; 09-16-2014 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Maine's garden spot
3,095 posts, read 5,426,489 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Is it possible that starter was rebuilt; instead of new? Regardless; it should be under warranty - if that is your problem. Parts can be bad right out of the box or the rebuilding process could have been flawed. Your battery is good and you have a good ground/contacts? Hopefully the shop did not give you the new starter and there was another problem?

The heat coming from under the hood bothers me. I presume that you have checked your oil. One other problem that older tractors experience - check for mice nests. The easiest way to do that is to take your leaf blower and force air into/under the motor cowling. Look for nest material coming out. This can also work to get rid of leaves and debris that has accumulated. If you do spot mice debris; you might want to remove the cowling and do a great job cleaning all of that out. I don't know if the repair shop removed that when they did the starter work? I also presume that you have no leaks in your muffler or you would hear.

PS If you do pull the cowling for debris; check to see if any wires were gnawed through.
Thanks, I'll take a look next weekend. It's going to s different shop next week. My regular mech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,153 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look next weekend. It's going to s different shop next week. My regular mech.
It might cost you money that could come out of your own pocket. If the starter is the problem; the first mechanic should replace it for no charge or just labor. You could check with your regular mechanic and ask him if he could get warranty reimbursement from your first shop (if that is the case). Of course there is the chance that it was never the starter in the first place; possibly it was the solenoid or ignition switch? It is hard to really give you good advice without knowing the problem and without knowing the honesty of the people that your dealing with.

I hope that you get your overheating figured out. Hot enough to melt a plastic fuse holder is hot enough to boil oil or permanently damage your engine.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top