U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:51 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,221,655 times

Advertisements

Squirrel, looking for food to store for the winter.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,896,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If it just started happening, squirrels are my guess. Dig down yourself and see whether you come across an acorn or other nut.

They're starting to stock up for the winter, and potting soil is easy to dig into.
Be careful though, you may find yourself digging up a cat candybar.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:41 PM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
For the past week I have noticed large holes in the soil of my potted roses. At first I thought it may have been caused by rain dripping from the eaves, but then it dawned on me....we haven't had any rain lately. This morning I went to water the roses, and whatever was digging in the soil must have had a field day last night. Every pot was dug into. What type of animal would do this, and why???
Aliens from the planet Plantaneous,
looking for your secret stash...

Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 PM

20,341 posts, read 834,150 times
If it's no inconvenience to you and if it's not unappealing, then why not cover as much of the potted soil surfaces with bricks, until the plants have done some growing. I had a problem with juvenile foxes who did the same in a bed of lantana that I had planted. After I strategically placed bricks over the bed without blocking rainwater, the foxes posed no further problems.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:19 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,056,987 times
I have the same problem with potted plants on my deck. I bought some of those egg-sized stones and put a layer of stones all over the soil surface, kinda pressing them down. That stopped the digging, and it's pretty too. I have also used seashells for the same purpose. That's a good use for those shells I brought back from the beach as treasures, and then later wondered why I brought them home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden