Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I keep seeing squirrels in my front flowerbed. I assume they are hiding nuts, since we keep getting "volunteer" saplings coming up there. This spring, we'll be revamping that bed, so I hope they find all their hidden food this winter!
They are eating my pepper plants. I had to put netting around them They also love crowder peas and will shell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 09:49 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,255,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly60 View Post
They are eating my pepper plants. I had to put netting around them They also love crowder peas and will shell them.
Really? They never touched our peppers. We had two kinds this year - Anaheim and Sweet Italian. They did munch on a few tomatoes, but not enough to get upset about. Maybe the word hasn't gotten around in squirrel society that we're growing food. My in-laws are too old and haven't had a garden for twenty years or more. Now here we come, planting all these goodies.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 PM

185 posts, read 244,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Wondering about your areas. Do you notice squirrels are burying more? Running around more? Building nests?

Here I keep seeing them bury acorns and nuts everywhere.

Here's a picture I took the other day.

I read a study that Squirrels are key to Oak species because they only recover about 75% of the acorns. So the other 25% would germinate into an Oak tree (if not cut or mowed over). Ironically I kept asking myself why I keep finding Oak seedlings (a lot more this year). They must of hid a lot of them during our snowy/cold winter last year.

I remember in 2011 they were walking slow around this time of year, showing no signs of worrying or panic. Seems like they are running around a lot this year.

Are you noticing anything? Sometimes you can see the little dig spots in your yard or pots.
O YEAH those little buggers. Have all kinds of seedling coming up in spring from them buring their cach for the winter.
A weed infestation .. Of sorts.... Drives me nuts.... They also get in the attic and groung squirrels dig under the porches.

Do you have birds or bats that get in UR chimney?
One year we had a chimney sweep clean the chimney. They left the cover off. Soo in one side we had gats the other side there were swifts. It was crazy. In spring the birds flew away but the bats that was a whole other round up by bat wranglers.

How do u post pics here I haven't been here long just started. It looks like a flickr type set up. Any photo album collection online.
It won't take pics from inserting from my IPad. Bummer!

Old 02-13-2015, 10:39 AM

83,355 posts, read 74,779,265 times
What a winter we're having here and with a long standing thick snowpack to boot!

Guess they were right!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:06 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,689,654 times
Quote:
What a winter we're having here and with a long standing thick snowpack to boot!

Guess they were right!
Send some our way for crying out loud! Our biggest snow so far this season was 7" and now we're running 13º above average for February so far (we've had 6 highs above 70º and several nights above 40º).

Old 02-13-2015, 11:08 AM

83,355 posts, read 74,779,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Send some our way for crying out loud! Our biggest snow so far this season was 7" and now we're running 13º above average for February so far (we've had 6 highs above 70º and several nights above 40º).
33" on the season here with another 6" more tomorrow. Normal is 28.

16° in full sun here midday. 57 in Denver.

Top 10 coldest winters we're having here. My shrubs are getting torn apart more this winter than any other winter recently. Rabbits and Deers have nothing to eat with the snowpack around for weeks.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
33" on the season here with another 6" more tomorrow. Normal is 28.

16° in full sun here midday. 57 in Denver.

Top 10 coldest winters we're having here. My shrubs are getting torn apart more this winter than any other winter recently. Rabbits and Deers have nothing to eat with the snowpack around for weeks.

Time to invest in something new , my shrubs are smashed pancakes. Lost many plants over the years. It's all part of the game. Survival of the fittest, plant weather or animal!

Old 02-15-2015, 06:33 AM

18,940 posts, read 43,356,769 times
I have big pecan trees everywhere around here, so yes, plenty of squirrels. They like to steal the pecans when they're still green, and in early summer you can see the litter raining down from the tree tops. The nuts that do mature end up buried in pots or wherever they can find. In the years when there's not many pecans, they raid the pine trees and shred the cones for the seeds.

Most of the oaks here are Water Oak and have small bitter acorns, and they actually tend not to prefer those.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:01 PM

Same issue here. But hazel nut trees. Every spring I have a crop of seedling coming up everywhere from squirrels. We also have a huge black walnut in the neighbors pasture. What a mess those trees are. I'm getting to the point that I have a huge Queen Ann Linden female tree.Attracts bees all season. Love those honey bees.

We have lots of oak shrubs and a huge Oak over 100 years old next door. Glad I don't have those leaves in fall to clean up. It has no acorns... Just huge leaves.

My fav tree are the mini maples. They are easy keepers. And second are evergreens all kinds easy keepers too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden