U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 PM

45 posts, read 78,194 times

Advertisements

Strange weed ID?-image.jpg

I've never tried to attach a picture before, so I apologize in advance if this doesn't work. I just moved into my home about a year ago, and over the past few weeks this strange weed has popped up everywhere, and I've never seen anything like it. It is brown, looks almost like sticks. It has reddish buds that turn into small thin purplish flowers. It seems to be spreading by rhizomes, or at least appears in clumps, and it seems to like the shade. I've tried googling but haven't found anything that resembles it. Does anyone have any idea what this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 PM

Attachment 136424Here's another picture if it helps...

Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Location?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:39 PM

9,985 posts, read 6,379,372 times
How to Identify Purple Flower Weeds | eHow

Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 PM

Sorry, I'm in NJ

Old 09-20-2014, 07:51 PM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet789 View Post
Attachment 136424Here's another picture if it helps...
This attachment didn't work. What works easiest for me, is to upload pics to a site like photobucket, then use the photo icon and put in the web address.

My first thought was pussywillow. I'll go do some googling...

Old 09-20-2014, 07:59 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
Quote:
Attachment 136423

I've never tried to attach a picture before, so I apologize in advance if this doesn't work. I just moved into my home about a year ago, and over the past few weeks this strange weed has popped up everywhere, and I've never seen anything like it. It is brown, looks almost like sticks. It has reddish buds that turn into small thin purplish flowers. It seems to be spreading by rhizomes, or at least appears in clumps, and it seems to like the shade. I've tried googling but haven't found anything that resembles it. Does anyone have any idea what this is?
It looks like a variety of Allotropa, a relative of the Indian Pipe family. a group of none chlorophyl plants that live in the shade and are parasitic on various fungi. They are also called "Sugar Sticks"

For more info and pictures see HERE

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 09-20-2014, 08:36 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
This enlarged portion of the OP's first picture is what is making me think it is a variety of alotropa. I'm thinking late in the season, starting to turn brown, seed pods dropped the seed and are empty

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 09-20-2014, 09:08 PM

Wow, Woodrow, that really looks just like it, and the description sounds spot on. But it's range is supposed to be in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm all the way over in NJ! I know the previous owners had a lot of landscaping done, so maybe some of the plants could have brought it with them I guess? It's just so strange, within a few weeks it spread through most of my front yard and seems to be also taking over an area overgrown with ivy. I've been pulling it all out but I'm worried I'm missing a lot of it because of the underground rhizomes that are probably breaking off.

Thanks so much for your quick assistance!

Old 09-21-2014, 04:14 AM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times
Quote:
Wow, Woodrow, that really looks just like it, and the description sounds spot on. But it's range is supposed to be in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm all the way over in NJ! I know the previous owners had a lot of landscaping done, so maybe some of the plants could have brought it with them I guess? It's just so strange, within a few weeks it spread through most of my front yard and seems to be also taking over an area overgrown with ivy. I've been pulling it all out but I'm worried I'm missing a lot of it because of the underground rhizomes that are probably breaking off.

Thanks so much for your quick assistance!
If Woodrow's diagnosis is correct....and I think it probably is.....and since the previous owner did a lot of landscaping.......I would guess perhaps they dug in a lot of organic material....compost.....mulches. If so that organic material might be "feeding" the "sugar stick" invader. It does make sense.

The geographic location and range is the spoiler in this theory....but who knows.

PS there is a member of that family that is native to NJ.... Allotropa convexifrons. I haven't found anything written in "lay-persons" language but I did find it when I googled.....as native to NJ.

Last edited by elston; 09-21-2014 at 04:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden