U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,831,335 times

Advertisements

I'm worried about Sweet Olive aka Tea Olive in the winter. We've been discussing Weeping Cherry trees, and they match our locations and conditions perfectly. They won't provide the privacy we want, but they'll be pretty in the location we're looking at. Decisions, decisions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 04:42 PM

13,486 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Why not something like a Fosters Holly?

Old 10-02-2014, 05:01 PM

9,483 posts, read 13,334,142 times
I'm going to made an iffy suggestion, but you might consider silverbells
http://.wordpress.com/2014/05/img_0439.jpg
Elaeagnus pungens | Fine Gardening
Evergreen, arching, fast growing and large, little tiny hidden flowers that give off a spicy smell in the fall. There is/was a nice border of them along one of the large lot houses somewhere around WSHS, unfortunately I don't remember just where.
It is supposed to be invasive/weedy but the one my neighbor had didn't seem to be a problem. I'd definitely check it out the with the Shelby Co agricultural extension service though.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Why not something like a Fosters Holly?
I went to a nursery today, and Burford Holly was something they suggested. I'm going to plant 2 dwarf Weeping Cherry trees and 3 or 4 shrubs like Wax Myrtle or Burford Holly that will have a small trunk and spread outward. Originally, I was going to plant all of one plant, but two nurseries have told me to mix it up.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:39 PM

Here are some of the planter boxes I made. I plan on putting a ledge on them. I might leave the bottom open.

The grass is slowly filling in. The dirt area was bulldozed last year.

Last edited by Geneyus; 10-04-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 07:13 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This one is a Cherry Laurel, it came up naturally from seed next to this old pecan tree. Probably a good 25' tall.

Honestly, considering how much damage some Ligustrum species (Chinese privet) have done to the environment in the Southeast, I'm hesitant to plant any of them. I know Japanese privet generally isn't as invasive, but still, when I hear Ligustrum I cringe.
I'd agree about the ligustrum. I planted some as part of my mixed hedge along the road...back before I knew. Now I find a lot of privet seedlings in the woods and I feel terrible. They make a thick hedge and the flowers smell good, but I'm not able to recommend planting them.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:56 PM

13,486 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Little Gem Magnolia might work too.

Everything mentioned here so far will eventually outgrow those planter boxes though.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I went to a nursery today, and Burford Holly was something they suggested. I'm going to plant 2 dwarf Weeping Cherry trees and 3 or 4 shrubs like Wax Myrtle or Burford Holly that will have a small trunk and spread outward. Originally, I was going to plant all of one plant, but two nurseries have told me to mix it up.
If it means anything I have two tea olives. I'm in zone 7 and in the horrible winter last year one of my tea olives died, but the other one just died back and re-sprouted. My burford holly totally died.

Granted the tea olive was in a sheltered location. I'd also suggest yaupon holly if you are in a warm enough zone. They are native. I know nothing about them except I can't grow them because it is too cold where I live.

Mix it Up?

Mix it up is what I did in my hedge and it turned out to be for the best since I was using plants that are not common in my area and I was new to horticulture. Some of them did not do so well, but others thrived. BUT it depends on the look you want. Single species hedges look more formal to me and can be beautiful. But the risk is that you may have to replace one or two plants.

If you'd like to try a single species and have your heart set on it, I'd get a soil test and see which plants are doing well in your neighbor's yards. Burford holly for instance is good with neutral to alkaline soil, but other hollies may prefer more acidic soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden