U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 04:02 PM

751 posts, read 1,510,129 times

Advertisements

I live in Connecticut and fall is here; leaves are turning and temperatures are dropping. In the middle of September, I had overseeded my lawn in an attempt to grow grass now making it harder for crabgrass to come back next Spring.

While my grass is definitely growing, my question is, when should I stop watering the lawn? I want to make sure the new grass is healthy and establishes solid roots in preparation of winter, but I'm not sure when I should be cutting it off.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:30 PM

6,519 posts, read 8,605,050 times
I've been told in my area that new seeds/sod has to be watered every day for a month. Then every few days for a month, then once a week for a month. After that, water if not enough rain for a month. A lawn should be established by then. This process works if started in March. Don't think it would work so well starting now and worrying about frost/freeze.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,392 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Here no worries, since it rains from now until June, but it can take 3 months to get deep enough roots to not need watering, 1" per week after up to an inch high. I would also recommend a first cutting before any snow, but set it high to about 2"

Old 10-03-2014, 02:20 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,180,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I live in Connecticut and fall is here; leaves are turning and temperatures are dropping. In the middle of September, I had overseeded my lawn in an attempt to grow grass now making it harder for crabgrass to come back next Spring.

While my grass is definitely growing, my question is, when should I stop watering the lawn? I want to make sure the new grass is healthy and establishes solid roots in preparation of winter, but I'm not sure when I should be cutting it off.
The first rule of watering, according to my turfgrass professor: Water when it needs it.

You can't ever stop watering if Nature doesn't provide adequate rain or snow. If the soil becomes dry all around the root zone, the roots will dry out and die, and roots of new grass are much shallower than established grass. Keep watering when Nature doesn't do it for you. There is no time schedule you can follow. You must play it by ear.

One year when we did a very big overseeding job and had an extremely dry and unseasonably warm winter for Kansas, I had the sprinklers out in January and February, watering the lawn. That was crazy, but it had to be done. I hope I never have to do that again, because a warm winter in Kansas is still too cold for you to want to get sprayed on by a garden hose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden