Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:35 PM

185 posts, read 243,906 times

Advertisements

Help!
There is a monster Quaker Aspen in my back yard. Almost 80'. Was there when we moved in. Every year it tilts more and more over to one side. It's at a 45' tilt with three other trunks next to it following it's slide sideways .

Would it be possible to cut it from the top down. Climbing it would be for a pro. It is being held up literally by leaning on a 7' weeping elm.

It's quite a quandary. The gophers and moles have dug under and around the huge tree and no soil to stabilize the tree roots and rain water erodes it every year.. Just this past week it rained and slanted till two branches are now leaning on the poor little 7' x 36" girth weeping elm.

It's tricky. Any ideas? I wonder if a tractor tied to the large trunk could stabilize it enough for someone to climb and cut the tops off and work their way down. OMG, if it snows this year I'm afraid the weight from the snow will be just enough to wipe out 22 years of work and wipe out half my garden.

I hate moles and gophers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 04:20 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,919,022 times
Are you trying to do this yourself? Just a couple of weeks ago a neighbor had such s tree removed by a tree service and they removed it without incident. You might take a shot at sending a picture to your insurance agent and see if you can get anything from them. They may offer a tree service company name.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:34 AM

Hi ,
That's a great idea will,ck with my ins.,I always was expecting a trained tree trimmer. A cherry picker can't get to,it ,so a trained tree trimmer is.Helpful.
Thankx for readin my post,Im grateful for your suggestions.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:45 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,974,870 times
About eight or nine years ago our area had a terrible ice storm. It left my property with many trees down and some leaning. I wasn't able to save all of my trees but I did save some of the leaners. I probably would not have even tried with a your Quaking Aspen because they are brittle and could snap. The leaners that I did save I roped as high as I could. Some I used a fishing line to pull heavier and then heavier ropes over. Then I secured a heavy duty come-a-long to the base of any nearby tree. Then I simply straightened then up slowly over time. Some I left roped for a year or more until I felt the roots were mended.

My insurance did pay to clean up the ones that were down. I guess it depends on the particular policy that you have. But a call to your agent would not hurt.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
Just last week we had a 70' tall Alder removed, and it was on the side of the house next to the fence. If they cannot climb it they may have to use a cherry picker/boom truck and will charge more, but yes, they can do it a piece at a time and not cause any damage below. Mine cost $800 but he was able to climb it and had two guys that he lowered branches to for shredding. The trunk sections he cut to firewood length and just dropped them to a safe place on the ground one at a time. Took about 4 hours.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,512,231 times
OP where you located in CA I might know a good tree service in your area. If it's a "Quaking Aspen" your talking about then you must be located somewhere above 2000' as Aspens won't survive much less grow to 80' tall below that elevation. In California I have never seen them below 5000' and I've been all over the mountains of California since the late 70's.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
OP where you located in CA I might know a good tree service in your area. If it's a "Quaking Aspen" your talking about then you must be located somewhere above 2000' as Aspens won't survive much less grow to 80' tall below that elevation. In California I have never seen them below 5000' and I've been all over the mountains of California since the late 70's.
When living in the bay area we used to take an annual drive up to see the Aspens in fall color, and usually along Highway 4 in the Murphys to Arnold area (2,000-4,000') or 88 near Jackson (1,200'). Here in Sammamish WA we are at 650' and have 2 that we planted about 1996, currently 50' tall. While they are native to higher elevations, I think the cold winter temperatures are more important than elevation to them.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
About eight or nine years ago our area had a terrible ice storm. It left my property with many trees down and some leaning. I wasn't able to save all of my trees but I did save some of the leaners. I probably would not have even tried with a your Quaking Aspen because they are brittle and could snap. The leaners that I did save I roped as high as I could. Some I used a fishing line to pull heavier and then heavier ropes over. Then I secured a heavy duty come-a-long to the base of any nearby tree. Then I simply straightened then up slowly over time. Some I left roped for a year or more until I felt the roots were mended.

My insurance did pay to clean up the ones that were down. I guess it depends on the particular policy that you have. But a call to your agent would not hurt.

Good luck.
Fisheye,

Thanks that's a great idea. The fishing line to get the rope up hi enough over the top and wrap now that's sheer genius. It does take some time to maneuver the rope around all the other branches on up the tree.

I could try to push it up once tied and secured to the sand weight box about a ton used for balancing the tractor when using the bucket . I've done smaller trees before using the tractor. Then push the tree up slowly. If it's not too muddy , mabe over a few weeks with the tractor. Tighten and secured with the come-along. If it snaps extra ropes could help the direction it falls if I secure another heavy duty rope and chain in the ground away from the garden, taking a chance it will follow the pull down keeping the rope tight with no slack. The trick is removing some of the higher limbs for a non drag drop. Also it won't snag the other smaller expensive trees and shrubs as it falls. I don't think it can be propped up they have such shallow roots.

I have saved trees from wind and snow storms 15-20' in the past that way. It takes years for the evergreen trees roots to grow out. But it's worth it rather than looking at a huge bare spot. If the Quaking Aspen falls it will take out 4-5 smaller evergreens and all my flowers & shrubs paths arches..this Aspen is a monster and heavy. I'm not sure my tractor can pull it . I may be able to push it with the bucket...or call ins co.?

I may get a estimate from a tree co. Using a bucket to trim the tree there are thee huge Aspen trunks over 80' tall with many side branches all leaning ready to slide on down.

I really like UR idea may give it a try if the tree gets to squirrelly I will stop and call a pro. It's going to take a village to get this one raised.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:34 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,817,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle4stop View Post
Hi ,
That's a great idea will,ck with my ins.,I always was expecting a trained tree trimmer. A cherry picker can't get to,it ,so a trained tree trimmer is.Helpful.
Thankx for readin my post,Im grateful for your suggestions.
In the spring we had a tree guy who put on some crampons and climbed right up an 80' plus tall tree with his chain saw dangling from his belt with a rope. Many other tree guys came and said they needed a bucket to get up there.

I would not spend time speculating, call a few professionals for estimates.

I think your suspicion that the tree will fall down if it is not cut down is well founded.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
In the spring we had a tree guy who put on some crampons and climbed right up an 80' plus tall tree with his chain saw dangling from his belt with a rope. Many other tree guys came and said they needed a bucket to get up there.

I would not spend time speculating, call a few professionals for estimates.

I think your suspicion that the tree will fall down if it is not cut down is well founded.
Hi Stagemomma,

Yeap those guys will climb a tree with all the equipment dangling from their belts. I took pick of this guy. He's done our trees for years but won't climb this one it needs a bucket . As this guy slowly cut the 100' tree from the top down. It was great entertainment, these guys are know what their doin.

He climbed the tree just as u described. It was a straight single trunk eucalyptus . But the Aspen is on a 45' angle . The only thing keeping this Aspen from falling is a few thick branches are leaning on a small weeping elm bout 8'x36" girth. Thanks to our last wind and rain storm.Some could try a climb the Aspen @ a 45' angle.but too risky with Aspen, it snaps so easy. So got a few pros coming out for estimates. It's a bit unsteady at this point, especially since the moles have dug tunnels all around it.

Did I mention I hate Aspen trees. This one was already here in fact the only little seedling growing at the time we moved in. Aspen trees are the largest organism in the world. OMG saw a special on PBS. They send up suckers hundreds every year., I have to dig up...ALL SEASON LONG. Look at the Colorado mtns nothin but aspens. They even have a town called Aspen Co . They r pretty during the fall season, other than that they grow worse than weeds. This is one tree I will be thrilled to be rid off...

Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden