U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 21,060 times

Advertisements

I have a RY40001 40V strimmer, which when it works properly is great!

However it has developed a problem. When I clutch the upper control handle as one must do to start the strimmer, then pull up on the lower control handle (trigger), the strimmer operates normally sometimes, but other times it runs for 2-3 seconds, then stops. If I release the trigger, the process repeats. I can do that for either 2, 3, 4, or maybe 5 times, then no response at all.

If I remove the battery, then put it back in, the whole process starts all over again.

Sometimes when it will not start in the normal strimming position, I can raise the cutting end high in the air, and the burst process starts again.

To really complicate things, when the battery is fresh off the charger, the problem goes away. It is only after using it for 15 mins or so that the problem resurfaces.

I can imagine three possible problems: (1) something is wrong with the battery, ( 2) something is wrong with the battery/battery holder contacts, or (3) there is a loose wire inside the control lever/trigger handle.

Has anyone had a similar problem or otherwise have some idea how I can isolate the problem?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
You think it might be a bad switch of some sort. Sounds like it.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 21,060 times
Yes that is one of the three possibilities that occur to me.

Any ideas?

Any experience?

Any suggestions as how to isolate the problem?

Thanks

Old 08-10-2015, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 17,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey42 View Post
Yes that is one of the three possibilities that occur to me.

Any ideas?

Any experience?

Any suggestions as how to isolate the problem?

Thanks
Hi. I'm wondering if you ever figured this out. I have used this 40V string trimmer for the last two or three years. The first one I bought was for my cabin. When I moved out of a condo and bought another house, I bought a second for that house because I liked using it so much at my cabin. I also bought a lot of other attachments to use with that power head (hedge trimmer, edger, pole chainsaw) and have used them for about a year. I was using the hedge trimming attachment this spring when it started operating like you described. I tried other attachments with the same result. I charged the battery (which was about 3/4 charged already) but got the same results. I concluded that it was the switch in the power head that was causing a problem. I contacted Ryobi, they sent me to seek an approved repairman (under warranty). I ended up at Home Depot, but the whole thing was a hassle, so I just bought a brand new string trimmer with powerhead (only) on ebay for about $50 thinking that the new power head would solve my problem.

Unfortunately, with the new power head, I got the same intermittent operation. I decided to try the battery for the unit that I've had at the cabin for a couple of years, so I did that. Eureka, it worked. I was actually using that battery with the edger attachment yesterday when it started doing the same thing. I am theorizing that the operation in a higher stress situation can have a negative impact on the battery or some of its internal components. When it started doing this for you, was the unit working particularly hard? Did you have it at full speed and possibly the line around a heavier plant (sapling) or a fence post, or even using it as an edger?

I am going to put a volt meter on the two batteries tonight and see what comes of it.

Let me know what luck you've had (if any). I'm not looking forward to the prospect of making a warranty claim.

Thanks.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,945 times
I have the Ryobi 40V blower and trimmer and have experienced the same problem. Started with the blower running at full speed after about 5 minutes of use. Then intermittent, but runs very well at half or less speed. Had the problem one time when I was using it for heavy trimming. Also, thinking therefore that it may be poor sensing by the battery. Still scratching my head, but leaning toward a replacement battery. It is about 3 years old.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 AM

2 posts, read 17,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskorup View Post
I have the Ryobi 40V blower and trimmer and have experienced the same problem. Started with the blower running at full speed after about 5 minutes of use. Then intermittent, but runs very well at half or less speed. Had the problem one time when I was using it for heavy trimming. Also, thinking therefore that it may be poor sensing by the battery. Still scratching my head, but leaning toward a replacement battery. It is about 3 years old.
There is something about these 40v batteries. I end up buying a new one every season. I suspect it has something to do with the length of time of a single use or the tool in which you use it. For example, the problem has never manifested itself while using the battery in the string trimmer, but if you switch out the head for the edger or hedge trimmer, both of which exert a much greater load because you have more resistance on the tool, it can cause the problem. At that point, the battery is never the same. It operates intermittently, starting only after multiple trigger pulls and sometimes shooting straight to full throttle.

No amount of draining or recharging the battery has helped.

In short, buying another battery will solve your problem. Hang on to everything needed for that warranty, though.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,271,066 times
Typical for Ryobi tool batteries, in my experience. You get what you pay for, and I think they designed in their affordable price point with lower cost batteries. All the behaviors you describe can be caused by batteries that have too high an internal resistance, which means that high current draws cause a drop in voltage. Starting current on all motors is much higher than running current, and these batteries, when slightly aged, just can't supply enough current.

I'd google to see if you can find a refurbisher. The nicad pacs are easy to do. Don't know about lithium.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:39 AM

5,586 posts, read 11,831,318 times
FWIW, Ryobi is Home Depots brand of tools. The tools are cheap, made in china junk. Harbor Freight is considered a better brand, for an example. It's not a brand I would want at any price. The fix is replacement but beware of the cost of batteries if looking for a cordless unit. Some of the batteries are just about the cost of a new unit. Personally, a battery operated anything in the yard is not real intelligent. You just can't get the life or power from a battery like you can a corded tool. Another issue with string trimmers- short shafts that makes you bend over to use it. It can be a real back breaker to use some of the newer models because the shaft length is so short even a 5'6" person has to stoop to use it. Make sure to "fit" whatever you buy to your body. A person like me at 6'4" is a hard find due to the short shafts. Not sure what I'm going to do when my 2 speed electric MTD dies but it's right around the corner. The 20 year old unit has the bearings going out in the motor and no replacement available.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:09 PM

1,119 posts, read 815,589 times
Get a good gas-powered, weed eater and be done with it.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,155 times
Default mine too!

Hi... mine's doing the same thing, and it's been used only a couple of times early this summer. I bought an additional battery at the same time, which has been in the charger the whole time. This thing worked fine for half my driveway, then just stopped. I figured the battery died, so switched them out, and still no go. I will recharge both and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden