Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:20 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,073,191 times

Advertisements

Been thinking of planting an avocado tree for the last couple of yrs. Anybody given it a try in zone 7?

I 've read that there may be some pollination needed. Looks like a 5 gallon would cost me abt $32-35.

I'd like to hear from you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I can't imagine that a nursery would sell an avocado in zone 7. Even the most hardy would be borderline in zone 8, I wouldn't try it here and I'm in 8B. They are an oddity in the way the pollinate. The flower opens as female, then closes, and opens the next day as male. So the same flower is both but not at the same time. Growers will have multiple varieties so that the have some males and females at the same time and use beehives to get them pollinated. You could do the same with a fine-bristled artists brush but it would be tedious, time consuming work. Even the best growers may only get fruit from 10-20% of the flowers.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:41 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Avocados grow best near coastal areas especially San Diego and north to Fallbrook CA

Learn How To Grow Your Own Avocado Tree from Seed

Old 10-30-2014, 03:07 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Try making your own compost tea and spraying the plant once a week. Amazing root system.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,073,191 times
Thanks for your replies. I better do some more research.
My neighbor and I both want to give it a try, so I thought we could plant close, and pollinate that way.
We'll see...

Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
I have one, it's about 1 foot tall right now, I don't plan to plant it outside though, will keep it trimmed/short and see how it looks after a few years.

I have a 5 foot lemon tree that I get a few lemons each year from, hoping the avocado will do the same and it can be a indoor tree

the leaves on the avocado tree are unique, at least to me. It's fleshy/soft to touch

Old 10-30-2014, 12:20 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times
I'd like to know if there is a secret to growing avocado trees. In California (peninsula south of San Francisco), I had three that were planted very close to each other on the shady side of a house. I'd estimate they were maybe 10 years old but didn't grow very much and there were no avocados. Maybe there was too much shade.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'd like to know if there is a secret to growing avocado trees. In California (peninsula south of San Francisco), I had three that were planted very close to each other on the shady side of a house. I'd estimate they were maybe 10 years old but didn't grow very much and there were no avocados. Maybe there was too much shade.
They may take 15 years to fruit for the first time and are heavy feeders so have to be fertilized regularly.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:13 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Growing an Avocado tree from seed is quite easy. However, it will be years (if ever) before it produces fruit and even then it will be inferior.

For fruit, you need trees that are grafted or graft a few yourself.

I live in Zone 7 and move my two seed grown trees into a small greenhouse before the first frost.

Try sprouting them in an enclosed jar/terrarium. Then just move them to bigger quarters as they grow.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:49 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
They need shade when they are young or they will sunburn, then they want full sun when they become adolescents (they naturally grow up under the canopy of a mature tree and won't start really taking off until/unless something happens to the parent tree and they start to get full sun). Really picky. They also tend to be very particular about how much water they want on their toes and if they get too cold they don't give you any warning, they just die. Sometimes they just decide that they are going to die for no apparent reason. Avocados are prone to suicidal tendencies, I swear.

I planted one in the shade of a crepe myrtle that I had plans to remove so that it wouldn't burn during the intense sun at midday, then when it was six years old (the second season that it bore usable quantities of well-developed fruit) I killed the crape myrtle and it grew more in the next two years than the previous six. That's the only avocado I've ever had any success with. It was a "Wilma", btw...

Last edited by Cleonidas; 10-30-2014 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden