Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times

Advertisements

Anyone on here actually getting enough food from their garden to make a visible, net positive dent in your food budget? Especially interested in responses from people in small lot suburban locations, rather than large lot or rural areas.

So far after a few years I think we are still deep in the hole compared to where we would be if we had never taken up gardening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 02:53 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
We have a small garden and I think that it does help with the food expense. We eat lots of tomatoes, and they are so much better than store bought. Plus the sauces that can be made and stored. Carrots, cucumbers, peppers, strawberries and varied other stuff is what we grow. I love it when I am hungry and don't want to cook. I just graze the garden.
The biggest garden cost would be soil and nutrients. If one is having to buy soil and amendments each season, that cuts into the savings. But if one is composting, or has chickens, rabbits or access to horse manure, then great! That's going to save a lot of money as well as provide excellent soil.

We have chickens and we compost, so it works out well for us.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:43 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
My friends and neighbors who garden don't do so to save money. Every single one of them would say that store-bought is cheaper.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
If you are in the negative on a garden that you began to save money, you're doing something wrong. Seed is pretty inexpensive and fertilizer/compost can be obtained free. You don't need all the fancy stuff we see in the garden catalogs.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:14 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
It's probably a push for me. I grow raspberries and strawberries, which are expensive to buy, but easy to grow. I also grow basil and dill, peppers, and tomatoes. The raspberries, strawberries, and dill come back every year (the dill self-seeds). Everything else, I buy as baby plants, so those are more expensive than seeds. There is NO WAY my cats would permit pots of soil with seeds, so I must buy plants. Some years are better than others, due to weather, bugs, hail, rain, wind, rabbits, etc. I don't garden to save money...I garden because I enjoy it.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:34 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
It's probably a push for me. I grow raspberries and strawberries, which are expensive to buy, but easy to grow. I also grow basil and dill, peppers, and tomatoes. The raspberries, strawberries, and dill come back every year (the dill self-seeds). Everything else, I buy as baby plants, so those are more expensive than seeds. There is NO WAY my cats would permit pots of soil with seeds, so I must buy plants. Some years are better than others, due to weather, bugs, hail, rain, wind, rabbits, etc. I don't garden to save money...I garden because I enjoy it.
Exactly!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Goodness no! My wife remarked just a couple of weeks ago that the $10 tomato was worth it. With soil conditioners and fertilizer, a greenhouse, water, poles and ties, it costs a lot more than just buying. I do it for enjoyment too, but more so because for most things, especially tomatoes, they just taste soooo much better than store bought/gas ripened vegetables and fruit.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:39 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We have a running joke about our $40. tomatoes. It gets a bit better after a few years, but the only real reason I have a garden is for fresh tomatoes and herbs. Nothing else comes in enough abundance in my little garden to avoid buying from the grocery too.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:59 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Gardening is for fun, not cost effectiveness. If you want fresh go to the weekly farmer's market and buy organic.

It's not fun and can be expensive to grow some veggies then have some animal or pest get to your hard working efforts before you get a chance to pick them.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 PM

185 posts, read 245,202 times
No.. It takes a lot of space to do that as well as a lot of freezing, drying. I save on some things but not really enough to cut anything off my grocery bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden