U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 07:10 PM

749 posts, read 715,972 times

Advertisements

The weather has changed my zoning from 6 to 7a, and I want to grow Camelias. What has been your experience with them? When do they flower? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 12:37 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,811,646 times
Where are you exactly? Personally, I take all these Zone changes with a grain of salt. Last winter and this coming winter make them moot in any case.

Anyway, you probably cannot go wrong with the Ackerman hybrids:

Cold-Hardy Camellia Developed by Dr. William L. Ackerman | Camellia Society of the Potomac Valley

I am in Maryland 7A and I grow one of those. It is flowering now.

You can always protect Camellias which are marginal to your zone.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:23 PM

749 posts, read 715,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Where are you exactly? Personally, I take all these Zone changes with a grain of salt. Last winter and this coming winter make them moot in any case.

Anyway, you probably cannot go wrong with the Ackerman hybrids:

Cold-Hardy Camellia Developed by Dr. William L. Ackerman | Camellia Society of the Potomac Valley

I am in Maryland 7A and I grow one of those. It is flowering now.

You can always protect Camellias which are marginal to your zone.

I am in Southern NYC, and I thank you so much for your help. Do you grow these? They are lovely. Do you know where I can get them? I am planning to put them in a large pot, and then bring them inside my house.

Can you suggest others that you have had experience with, that have done well by your area? Again, my deepest thank you......

Old 11-17-2014, 08:26 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,811,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
I am in Southern NYC, and I thank you so much for your help. Do you grow these? They are lovely. Do you know where I can get them? I am planning to put them in a large pot, and then bring them inside my house.

Can you suggest others that you have had experience with, that have done well by your area? Again, my deepest thank you......
No problem.

I have one Ackerman Hybrid (Winters Joy) and two other cultivars- White Empress and Lyman Clark- just put that one in yesterday.

If you are in Southern NYC (Staten Island, Brooklyn?) you are already in Zone 7A and should be able to grow loads of Camellia outside with no trouble. However, perhaps space is in issue.

I have procured mine at local nurseries and you should be able to as well. All my books list your location as "Camellia Country."

If you want to do mail order, this place gets raves:

www.Camforest.com

Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,410,318 times
I'm in MD and I have Winter's snowman and Winter's star. I also have a camellia oleifera called LuShan Snow. this type of camellia is one of the parents of Ackerman's Winter's series, as I understand it. They are camellia sanasqua, crossed with camellia oleifera which is very hardy, but has white single flowers. As a plus it does produce seed that an edible oil is made from.

My camellias that were established survived the Polar Vortex last year, BUT I think the three Winter's Star that I planted late last Fall all died. The ones I've had for a few years are the white single oleifera and white double Winter's Star. So I would say plant a larger specimen in Spring in a somewhat protected location for the Winter's series. I bought two more small ones this year, but I'm not sure if they will live.

Camellia Oleifera did well even in an unprotected location even though it is not that big. But on the negative side, it got really cold early this year and NONE of my existing camellias flowered. I think the buds may have frozen off.

While I LOVE my Winter's snowman, it is a white double. So that means when the flowers start to freeze as it gets closer to winter, they turn brown. This is kind of ugly. I've read that the pink flowers don't look as bad. But it seems to be harder to find a big pink specimen for a cheap price. But if you can afford it, that is what I'd recommend.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:03 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,296,659 times
I'm out on Long Island and all my camellias do very well. Just don't put them in a windswept location or you will get leaf burn. They can take the temps here as long as they stay out of the cold wind.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:57 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,769,669 times
Years ago I lived in Fresh Meadows, Queens, New York. I had two camellia japonica bushes (I understand camellia sasanqua do better further up north), but while the bushes thrived it seemed that every time the buds would start of open up an overnight freeze would turn the flowers brown. Most camellias are late fall, winter and earliest spring blooming.

The best collection of camellias in the region can be found at Planting Fields Arboretum near Oyster Bay, NY. They are almost all indoors growing in greenhouses. I asked a horticulturalist about it, and he said that while there are a few reliably flowering Sasanquas for that region, most camellias do not do well in greater NYC.

Generally speaking, the northernmost point on the east coast camellias do well is Philadelphia, which is on the cusp of 7a and 7b. Some the earlier blooming camellias are in bloom right now in my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden