U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 11:05 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,718,737 times

Advertisements

I live in an area with many 1/3-1/2 acre lots, and many, many people have leaf blowers.

I have trees, but I do not rake or blow! I just mow every week, up until leaves are gone or snow falls, whichever comes first. This year, I mowed on Sunday and snow fell on Monday, so there you go!

I did see some people with blowers who had a bag attachment and they first blew the leaves into a pile, then attached a bag, reversed the blower, and vacuumed up leaves into a bag.

I don't worry about leaves that fall onto my wood mulched areas, because every spring, I put down new wood mulch to refresh the look, and the old leaves just get covered by the new mulch, thereby becoming mulch themselves!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 12:26 PM

5,167 posts, read 10,485,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I did see some people with blowers who had a bag attachment and they first blew the leaves into a pile, then attached a bag, reversed the blower, and vacuumed up leaves into a bag.
Yup, that's me. Mine does both ! But for leaves, I use the Sucking Business End ONLY !
Not only does the thing suck up all the leaves and whatever else is on the grass (!!! ),
it also mulches the stuff.
I empty the bag on the flower beds and veggie beds.

I think it is a *pro* for a thingamajig that can be used as a blower or a sucker ...

If you have a large area over an acre, gas-driven is better than electric.
100 feet long extension cards are OK to use, but getting them into a compact bundle is a pain !
But, some gas-driven units can not do the sucking up part ...

The *con* (aka *that sucks* ) for a blower-only unit is,
when the pile gets bloody big, nothing much is happening !!
Also, in many cases, where do you blow the leaves to ?
Leave them there to rot, or ...
Bag it all up after you blow them in a huge pile ?
Still have to use a dumb rake to get the leaves into
the *always trying to keep itself shut* bag !

My question to the poster mentioned in my reference, is:
Why do they not just suck it all up from the beginning ?
I am sure that the time used would be almost half !

I have a fairly large grassy area, and I mow that area with a large riding mower.
Two years ago, my better half rewarded me with a suction attachment for that monster.
I am a happy camper for that gesture !!!
So the sucker/blower thingy, is now used to only blow out the garage ...

If the OP decides on a blower thingy, make sure that it can also suck like crazy !!
Go for a high speed blower with an alleged high speed blower.
Mine makes the incredible claim that it can blow over 160 mph !!!
Make sure that, if it can suck, the leaves pass thru a mulching stage before it goes into the bag.
The size of the leaf pieces, after it goes thru the mulcher on my unit, are about 1/8 inch size !

Old 11-16-2014, 01:16 PM

13,175 posts, read 10,585,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Make sure that, if it can suck, the leaves pass thru a mulching stage before it goes into the bag.
The size of the leaf pieces, after it goes thru the mulcher on my unit, are about 1/8 inch size !
With the OP's one acre lot, if heavily wooded, leaf blower bags are a joke. It isn't that they will not get the job done; it is just too slow and too many trips to the leaf/compost pile. The bagging attachments for the riding tractors do a great job - especially if you have mulched the leaves a few times with just the mower. Then you have cut down the size of the pile and started the compost process.

With my five acres I like to start another compost pile every year. Then, after two or three years, I can start using the compost (from the oldest pile) on the garden. I usually lime it pretty good - but it depends on the weather (rainy years help the process).

Old 11-16-2014, 02:05 PM

4,320 posts, read 2,254,306 times
I own a Husqvarna backpack blower and it's been nails. No particular insight other than most of the professional landscape companies that service our neighborhood seem to use Husqvarna. Presumably because the stuff holds up. (It's not making them money if it's in the shop)

Glad someone mentioned clearing snow with a leaf blower. Living through Michigan winters I've learned that if you can get at it early, leaf blowers do an exceptional job of clearing sidewalks and such. I was watching a football game a couple of years ago and saw the groundskeepers using blowers to clear the yard markings. Seemed to make sense so I gave it a try and was shocked how much quicker and easier it was compared to sometimes fussy and unwieldy snow thrower/blowers. Wish I'd tried it years ago. The other thing is a pretty good quality backpack blower is still less expensive than a cheap-o thrower.

GET SOUND EARMUFFS !!!!!!!!

Last edited by take57; 11-16-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 02:35 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,835,229 times
I have a backpack blower for a 1/4 acre property because I would have to connect 200 ft of extension cords to get around my property, and I don't like walking around trees so the cord isn't tangled. I wouldn't buy a handheld gas blower because they are noticeably heavier than electric ones. Backpack blower's are so fast and easy. I think my Troy-bilt one cost around $199 at Lowe's, and it has been well worth the money.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:50 PM

952 posts, read 1,750,454 times
In the last few years that I lived in my parents' house, we had a gas powered walk-behind leaf blower, and our yard was less than 1/3 acre. It really does simplify the process of gathering up the leaves (and grass cuttings too) and keeping your yard clean.

I prefer the walk-behind, wheeled gas powered blowers like we had. I don't like the backpack type of blower. It's output isn't as strong as the walk-behind blower, so it wouldn't be as good for a larger yard like yours and it has a high-pitched droning noise that I find very annoying. The electric type wouldn't be good for a large yard like yours either.

All but the electric leaf blowers are fairly noisy, so you might want to consider using foam ear plugs that you can buy at any drugstore when using the blower. There are also over-the-ear things like headphones to reduce the noise available at mower shops.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:54 PM

5,167 posts, read 10,485,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
With the OP's one acre lot, if heavily wooded, leaf blower bags are a joke. It isn't that they will not get the job done; it is just too slow and too many trips to the leaf/compost pile. The bagging attachments for the riding tractors do a great job - especially if you have mulched the leaves a few times with just the mower. Then you have cut down the size of the pile and started the compost process.

With my five acres I like to start another compost pile every year. Then, after two or three years, I can start using the compost (from the oldest pile) on the garden. I usually lime it pretty good - but it depends on the weather (rainy years help the process).
I fully agree that if the area, where all the leaves are on the ground, is rather large, then a sucker or blower is a pain in the you know what. 5 acres is a huge area to clean !!
Do you have 5 acres to clean up or is your total lot 5 acres ?

The question here is how big is the area where the leaves are.
If one has a 1 acre lot, heavily wooded or not, I doubt if the whole 1 acre is in need of removing the leaves. If yes, then even any blower, huge or not, WILL take a dang long time, not counting the bagging yet ...

I have almost an acre, and I have only leaves on the edges, about 5 feet wide at three sides.
One side does not have any trees !
Did not take that long to suck it all up, really.
Maybe twice as long as fertilizing the whole area.

The bagging attachment I have does need a special mulching kit which is required if you suck up leaves.
The bag is used for the leaves, the mulched grass stays on the lawn.

Anyway, the OP has to decide what will be the best *tool* to get rid of his leaf problem.

Last edited by irman; 11-16-2014 at 03:03 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 02:57 PM

952 posts, read 1,750,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Glad someone mentioned clearing snow with a leaf blower. Living through Michigan winters I've learned that if you can get at it early, leaf blowers do an exceptional job of clearing sidewalks and such. I was watching a football game a couple of years ago and saw the groundskeepers using blowers to clear the yard markings. Seemed to make sense so I gave it a try and was shocked how much quicker and easier it was compared to sometimes fussy and unwieldy snow thrower/blowers. Wish I'd tried it years ago. The other thing is a pretty good quality backpack blower is still less expensive than a cheap-o thrower.

GET SOUND EARMUFFS !!!!!!!!
Using your leaf blower to clear snow will only work if the snow is DRY and POWDERY. If it's a wet, heavy snow, a leaf blower isn't going to help much. You'll still need either a snow shovel or snow thrower to do a good job of clearing the snow.

I agree about the sound earmuffs (if that's what they're called).

Old 11-16-2014, 03:14 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,390,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
If you have environmental consciousness, you might want to get an electric blower, either corded or not. They pollute much less that gas types. Also, rather than bagging all those leaves, mulch at least some of them to put on your garden beds and/or to add to your compost pile or container.
That makes perfect sense until you realize what you're doing. Blowing dirt and all kinds of stuff into the air where all it does is cover everything with dust and debris.

The whole idea of a leaf blower is pollution. I once lived somewhere near guy who from two lots away ran his leaf blower and covered the entire downwind neighborhood with dust and dirt and whatever else got thrown into the air.

Instead, since you might already own something to cut grass or pull a garden cart like a small tractor (and they have attachments for push mowers too) get a mulching attachment and have it dump into the cart being pulled. No mess. The OP has a full acre. Blowing leaves off an acre of land sure doesn't seem like a good idea when you can accomplish the same thing, easier and with less hassle.

For anyone that has a leaf blower, ask your downwind neighbors what they think of it unless they too don't consider anything past their own fencelines.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:17 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,835,229 times
I think if I had a full acre, I would just invest in a large mower that either picked up the leaves in large containers or mulched them. An acre is a lot for leaf pick up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or