Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times

Advertisements

What would be the approximate height of the tallest avocado tree you've seen in your area?

I've been working at a house for a few days, that had a large avocado growing in the garden. I had been trying to guess it's height, but don't need to guess any longer, as it was chopped down today.

The owners wanted it gone because they couldn't reach the fruit (hundreds of large round fruit that are quite different to the commercial varieties grown around here). and were worried about someone getting hit. Possums and rats had been a problem as well. It was grown from seed, and was about 25 years old.

The length on the ground was 19.6 metres (about 64 feet). i've read that they can reach 80-90 ft. Anyone seen one that tall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:13 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
No, definitely never seen one that tall. The commercial trees around here are on the short side, probably so they can be harvested efficiently. The avocado we had at my childhood home was probably 7-8 meters. 19+ meters is amazing!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:21 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
In Panama the country- the trees are 3 stories high and beautiful fruit OMG I as so surprised when I first saw them. So if left alone probably can grow to be very large

Old 11-25-2014, 12:49 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,236,953 times
I've always wondered, can those be planted around here where I live (Boca Raton, FL)?

It does get below 32*F here but only about once every 5 yrs on average I'd say.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:04 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I've always wondered, can those be planted around here where I live (Boca Raton, FL)?

It does get below 32*F here but only about once every 5 yrs on average I'd say.
The temperature should be okay. It dips down to 32* every once in a while here too. I have heard that avocados don't like a lot of water around their roots and that's why they do better in California than Florida, so you would have to make sure the soil is well drained.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:08 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,212 times
We have an avocado tree that's about 20 feet tall in our neighborhood, which is in a suburb of Tampa, so if avocados grow/thrive here I'd imagine they'd be okay in Boca.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:39 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
Not sure how big the avo in the back yard is, but it's huge. Forty to sixty feet should be a reasonable guess. How does one measure the height of a tall tree? We've been thinking of cutting it shorter since it gets in the neighbor's ocean view.

It's a "Lehua" avocado and has lovely creamy round red avocados. It's an "off season" avo, too, so it's just starting to produce fruit when the rest of the avos around here are pretty much finishing.

It's the one in the back on the left side. The smaller one in front is a peach tree. The smaller one on the right is a tangerine that's about twelve to eighteen feet tall or so.

Our tree isn't particularly large for an avocado, some are much bigger than ours. There are some that are much smaller, too. I don't know if the size is determined by the variety, growing conditions or what.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:38 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
I know when I lived in Clearwater florida . I had a neighbor who had a mango tree and an avocado tree and she sure had fruit on them to the max and I asked her what she did to grow them so good . She told me make a small hole about four steps away from them and dump all of your old veggies like potatoe peels , carrots old , and egg shells ground up and cover with the dirt you used from the hole and wallah ...and I know it worked for her and I will try it when I get a yard with my next house . I intend to grow like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden