U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,021,306 times

Advertisements

Duh, obviously. We didn't need a scientist to tell us that. I've been doing that for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 12:12 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,768,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
It would be a great way to release your seemingly constant rage and anger.

Also, you do realize that maintaining a home and yard does require work, right? Yet more invaluable lessons your children are not learning from you. smh.
There are other ways to deal with the stresses of life, like gym activities and such.

Maintaining a yard doesn't have to be so much work, that's the very conclusion of this scientific study. You just have to let go of the expectations of a yard being practically a putting green. I have no issues with what my children are learning from this. I would rather imagine they learn that life is supposed to fun and not a constant state of drudgery. Doing the occasional chore is fine, but when it's to the point that's always that way and there's not much time for play, I think that's just a sucky way to live. Family memories should be about the FUN everyone had, not all the hours and hours of raking and mowing and trimming and so on.

I can tell you that, growing up, seemingly every weekend was packed with chores, and you didn't dare complain about a minute of any of it. If any of my friends my age were there and we dared laugh a minute with any sort of play, it was met with a stern rebuke. I hated it. To this day it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. So yes, that grass will get mowed when it's up to my shin, getting mowed maybe 3 times all summer, and those leaves are doing just fine where they are. Life is too short to be consumed by constant drudgery.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:11 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,550,016 times
OMG!!!! Don't rake the leaves!!??? What will the neighbors think? [sarc]

Old 11-24-2014, 04:21 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,693,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yeah, yeah.....

tried that one year and it killed off all the grass. Had to reseed and waste plenty of water to get it back. Never again!
This. My grandfather did it one year and just mowed it. But it killed his whole lawn. I mulch a little at first but once they start to fall a lot I'll just doscharge them into the woods. Enough scraps make it to the ground to be beneficial but too much of anything is never a good thing.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 AM

13,213 posts, read 10,613,277 times
Stress in life could be worrying that your house could burn with all of the dry leaves around it. I think of green lawn as a moat. Let all of those scientist and no-raking naturalist worry. Let them develop the aversion to meat from the Lone Star ticks and get the Lyme disease from the other ticks. Of course, being lazy, they will not go outside - but their pets will and bring the little critters back inside.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:18 AM

3,762 posts, read 4,306,699 times
This past summer we had several trees removed in our backyard, leaving only the largest 6-7 behind. We still have a lot of leaves this fall, but easily 1/3rd of what we dealt with before the backyard renovation project! We've mulched the leaves on the grass twice this fall, and have left the leaves that have gone onto the huge mulch beds. I'd say 90% of the leaves fell on our mulch beds, and so in the spring we'll be raking the mulch (redistributing - not getting rid of it) and allowing the leaves to compost in with it. Then we'll sprinkle over with some new mulch to get a punch of color (we love using red cedar mulch).

It has been such a great thing NOT to have to go out on a weekly (daily!) basis to clear off the leaves! I've used the leafblower three times on the patio and blew the leaves straight into the adjacent mulch beds - no having to bag them up!

Old 11-24-2014, 05:51 PM

74 posts, read 53,167 times
I mulch most of mine with the John Deere and the Tri-Cycler special purpose mulching blades installed on the deck. I blow or rack them out of the bushes and burn most of those. This year is different though. The weather is creating extended waiting times before something can be done with them.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 AM

8,623 posts, read 5,905,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've done this for years (decades, actually).
I think it is quite common not to in our area as trees are as thick as grass. It's fertilizer next spring.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:21 AM

8,623 posts, read 5,905,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Leaves that are left on the lawn end up killing the grass underneath. I tried it last year and have bare spots in the lawn now. This year, I am raking and chopping up the piles with my lawn mower, then using the chopped leaves to build up new flower beds. If you keep on top of it every few days it's manageable. Waiting until all the leaves fall from the trees can be overwhelming, especially in a yard like mine that is filled and surrounded by trees.
Wow, you have some weak grass. My zoysia stands up to mine and my neighbor's maple leaves year after year with no raking. He beats his body to death chasing them around and wonders why I don't.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:22 AM

6,510 posts, read 2,245,386 times
If it doesn't create a danger - just leave the leaves where they are till spring when it's warmer and the blood vessels aren't vasoconstricting because of the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden