U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,478 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I just moved into our new home in the country that includes a 46' x 26' vegetable garden (about 1,200 sqare feet). There is 6-7 ft high asparagus growing along the one end, but other than that, everything else was annuals that can be replaced next spring.

Neither of us have really any gardening experience, but we would love to make the most of this space and grow as much as we can manage. My question is, where on earth can we learn how to garden with this much space? I've spent the last few days browsing a variety of gardening websites, only to be completely overwhelmed by the seemingly endless (and often contradictory) advice out there...mulching, seed starting, transplanting, companion gardening, pest control...everybody seems to have a different idea on how things should be done. Does anyone have any recommendations for a "one-stop-shop" resource to get all the information I need to start and manage a successful garden? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 12:42 AM

476 posts, read 387,606 times
I would find a good vegetable gardening book by any local or regional horticulturist familiar with your area. Maybe check with some seed company websites like Burpee. Of course asking other isn't a bad way either.

Due to the heat [Southern US] and cost of watering, I lost interest in summer gardening and except for except maybe a tomato plant or two, onions & peppers otherwise don't really do the summer gardening anymore. But have some asparagus growing myself, love it.

I do winter gardening although I couldn't do one this winter due to some work being done in that area now, But, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and a couple of other vegetables when started in earlier to mid Oct. from seed get establish and will grow good till harvest in around late Feb, early march. Best broccoli ever grew was from winter garden.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:30 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,413,676 times
I'd agree with the reading. Better Homes and Gardens published one of the veggie garden books I have. It is full of good information.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:11 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,614,579 times
Your library should have a selection to look at and choose from. I'm not sure what is available at the county extension services, but a call will tell you if they have information. My dad always had a garden and it was hard work to maintain. I once grew tomatoes and a tomato worm is one hellacious looking critter. I only saw one, but that was enough.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,324 times
thank you share with this tropics... if you want to stat a garden work,you have to know about it..my suggestion is if anyone done this work you must go there and say how they are done this work.....

Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 AM

5,610 posts, read 6,483,674 times
You might want to consider starting off just using a portion of the space. Just because the previous owner wanted 1,200sq ft doesn't mean you do too. That's a lot of work -- more work than most home gardeners take on.

I'd say it's better to take say 120 sq feet of that and succeed than to risk that you burn out and fail on all 1,200 feet of it.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:46 PM

587 posts, read 648,786 times
Lots of good suggestions here. I second talking to your cooperative extension - they may offer classes and workshops in addition to providing information. Ask if there is a program for new gardeners to be advised by master gardeners.

Squash (summer and winter) take up a lot of room, so I'd plant plenty of those. I agree that you may not want to use all that space your first year.

I like the Garden Primer as an introductory veggie garden book.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:05 PM

34,573 posts, read 42,741,316 times
My feeling is you should just experiment and learn as you go. Have fun and don't get too serious. Enrich the soil with compost, and pay attention to the sun. You don't plant tall things, like corn, where they will block the sun from the other plants.
Plant a little bit of everything you like, and see what does well, and what does not. Do not crowd too much in the space. Make plans to evenly water. This is all you can do.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:22 PM

16,222 posts, read 7,109,408 times
I second the idea of starting off by using just a portion of the existing space. You will get a lot more satisfaction from a small garden well-done than a too-large garden that you can't keep up with.

Your library is your best friend.

See if there is a master gardener group in your area. If there is, give *serious* consideration to taking the course yourself. Usually, the course starts in January, so they are taking applications now.

As for what to grow - what do you eat a lot of? What would you eat more of if you could find it in larger quantities or better quality? Start there.

For instance - If you love asparagus, find out how to take care of that bed, and start doing it. Then, if you love green salads, plant several varieties of lettuce and some asian greens. And if you live in an area where tomatoes grow easily, plant 4-6 of those. These crops will be plenty to take care of to begin with, and keeping the lettuce garden going through three seasons will teach you plenty about seed starting and succession planting.

And remember - if you're not finding satisfaction in doing it, don't do it!

Another option might be to find out whether someone you know has insufficient garden space, and would be willing to work in your garden!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:29 AM

292 posts, read 253,156 times
I also agree with using just a portion to start off. Failing at a large area will discourage you while succeeding at a small area will delight and inspire you.

Pick a small area, the closest to your home or shed and one that has good light, 8 hours a day in the summer. Think of your water source and how much hose you wish to invest in.

Fertilize it NOW! Ask your local gardening center for some Garden Tone fertilizer and spread it according to the directions.

And this is VERY important. Plant cover crops on the rest of the garden space. Red clover. Broadcast seed. This will fertilize and improve the soil and prevent weeds from taking over. Clover is not a weed. It's a nitrogen fixer. If it's too late for that you can do it in the spring and now you can get a leaf mulch delivery and spread it on the part you are leaving fallow.

Now spend the winter coming up with a design, researching what works for your area and buying seeds.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or