U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 03:43 PM

65 posts, read 70,165 times

Advertisements

I am starting my potted garden by the end of this month and gathering stuff for that. I want to know what is better a tomato plant or start by using seeds?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:56 PM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
seeds the plants are stronger when grown from seed but again my opinion .

Old 12-04-2014, 06:20 PM

1,305 posts, read 833,299 times
I would say seeds too. I don't, but my neighbor does. And when i peek thru the fence and see his plants, they're huge and abundant. Mine, not so much...

Old 12-04-2014, 06:39 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Seeding is okay but takes longer to maturity and then the chance of fungus and having to start all over again. Starter plants are very successful and easier to get going. Remember they started from seeds too and someone did all the work for you.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:51 PM

16,724 posts, read 20,470,484 times
If you start seeds indoors, you'll need a grow light, in my experience, or they will get really leggy and wimpy. If you use a grow light, put it really low just above the seedlings.

I learned this is the key to indoor gardening - light, and light that is close to the plant, or the plant will reach to the light and get spindly, even the grow light, if the grow light is too high up.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
I grew tomatoes on the porch in tubs, the small type of plants. I ended up with some bought as small plants and some planted by seed in the pots. When (sadly) old man winter came up a few weeks ago all the ones planted as starter plants have already died. The ones started by seed were still green and had blossoms. Three nights of below freezing killed them but overall they were much tougher plants grown in place.

Next year I order seed and skip looking for the plants.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:07 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,027,359 times
Depends on how many you want to grow and if the varieties you prefer are available as plants. Properly started young tomato plants will have sturdy stems and short internodes, which you will have a hard time getting if you are planting seed in pots in your home. If you only want a few plants, the added expense of purchasing transplants will not be a problem, but if you want more than 4-6, take the time to baby your own seedlings with plenty of space and light.

BTW, I hope you live somewhere with proper climate and daylength to grow tomato plants this time of year.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,389 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Wow, starting seeds in December, must be in a much warmer climate than here. I start tomato seeds in about March. Most of my seeds are started in a greenhouse window, so indoors, but they get plenty of light from the top and 3 sides. The best thing is to plant seeds in the same place they will be growing, but that's not possible in our climate except for maybe peas and beans. The growing season is just too short.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:50 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,177,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carblover234 View Post
I am starting my potted garden by the end of this month and gathering stuff for that. I want to know what is better a tomato plant or start by using seeds?
You don't say where you're located. In most of the US, now is a bad time to be starting vegetable seeds for next spring. I've gotten into trouble starting them in early February; they grow too tall and leggy and I wind up throwing them in the compost and buying plants.

Unless you have a very good growing setup, with the best lighting, airculation, temperature, etc., you won't get the most robust plants. I've grown tomatoes since I was a little girl, and the past few years, I've just bought plants, and they're great. Heck, this past year I got them at Home Depot! They produced very well and I'd have never been able to tell the plants from ones grown from seed.

That said, if you're looking for the best varieties of tomatoes, you might have to grow them from seed. I want more variety next year, so I"ve bought my seed already. But I will do what my old Italian dad always did -- wait to sow them indoors until mid-March. Yes, Mid-March. Tomatoes need warm soils to do anything in the ground. Planting them out before the beginning of May (or Mother's Day) doesn't give you a leg up on anyone. If the soils aren't warm enough, you'll do more harm than good. You can plant 4" seedlings outside in warm soil and before you know it, they'll be two feet tall.

Be patient.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:52 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,177,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
seeds the plants are stronger when grown from seed but again my opinion .
Plants purchased at nurseries are grown from seed -- usually in better growing conditions than people have at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or