U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:31 PM

937 posts, read 996,603 times

Advertisements

I bought this bulb upon rec. on another forum:

Feit Electric 200W Equivalent Daylight (6500K) Spiral CFL Light Bulb-ESL40TN/D at The Home Depot

for use in a regular lamp.
when I put it in the socket it sparked and went out.

Any advice about indoor lighting?
I want to use a regular lamp.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 PM

16,736 posts, read 20,470,484 times
I use daylight bulbs in fluorescent bulbs. Mine are the long tubes. But, see if you can find a regular bulb that is listed as "daylight" lighting. This has worked great for me. They're usually cheaper than bulbs that are marketed as "grow lights," and just as good or better for plants.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:53 AM

Thanks. That is helpful.

I am thinking of being more ambitious and asking someone to help me set up the long tube assembly.
I don't have the skills to do that, but I know that would give me greater coverage.

And I keep buying plants!

What do you think of this one?

Amazon.com : Hydrofarm JSV4 4-Foot Jump Start T5 Grow Light System : Plant Growing Light Fixtures : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I use daylight bulbs in fluorescent bulbs. Mine are the long tubes. But, see if you can find a regular bulb that is listed as "daylight" lighting. This has worked great for me. They're usually cheaper than bulbs that are marketed as "grow lights," and just as good or better for plants.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:19 AM

15,564 posts, read 9,588,275 times
wonder if you go to a plumbing place and buy some pvc for the support and an undercounter light fixture for the light?
Might cost less.

Take a sketch of what you want and ask someone for advice.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:22 AM

it probably would cost less, but I don't have any skills in this area.

Even the ones that come with "easy assembly", I'm going to have to have someone put together for me.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,180,293 times
The mistake people make when choosing lights for growing plants is all in their -- eyes. Bright light isn't bright light, and the color of light you see doesn't necessarilyt tell you the spectrum it's emitting. In fact, even designated "grow lights" decline with age, and though they still appear to be very bright, they are probably emitting a lot less of the wavelengths plants need for photosynthesis.

So, never just select a "daylight" bulb. It is not great for growing anything. And don't pick blacklights either, because although they emit high levels of UV, plants need a broader spectrum than just UV.

T8 fluorescent lights have been reliable for me and are highly recommended for home setups. Mine are a few years old now and still look nice and bright, but I'm going to replace them. The seedlings will thank me.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:13 AM

thank you for your input.

This is what I've settled on -
bec. I won't have to create it from scratch.

BuyPlantLights.com — Tabletop Plant Stands

I can't tell from this if these bulbs are T8 or not.
But I will keep your recommendation in mind for the future, if I get to the point of making my own set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
The mistake people make when choosing lights for growing plants is all in their -- eyes. Bright light isn't bright light, and the color of light you see doesn't necessarilyt tell you the spectrum it's emitting. In fact, even designated "grow lights" decline with age, and though they still appear to be very bright, they are probably emitting a lot less of the wavelengths plants need for photosynthesis.

So, never just select a "daylight" bulb. It is not great for growing anything. And don't pick blacklights either, because although they emit high levels of UV, plants need a broader spectrum than just UV.

T8 fluorescent lights have been reliable for me and are highly recommended for home setups. Mine are a few years old now and still look nice and bright, but I'm going to replace them. The seedlings will thank me.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:34 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,180,293 times
We did a setup in an unfinished room in the basement and put all the seeded flats on an old table. Then we bought four 48" dual fluorescent fixtures that hold T* bulbs. Screwed in some eye-hooks into the ceiling beams. Bought chains and S-hooks and hung the fixtures from the ceiling over the table. The fixtures all have slots for the hooks to go into. It's very easy to adjust the height of the fixtures as the seedlings grow. Then I plugged all four units into a power strip and put an automatic timer on it. I don't ever have the lights on 24 hours straight. Nature doesn't do that, so neither do I. Seedlings need some dark too. I increase the hours of light as the days get longer though, to get the plants used to the more light they'll be getting outdoors.

A fan is a good addition to a seed starting setup, too. Air circulation helps prevent damping off disease and a little air movement is good for strengthening the main stems of the plants.

I think the entire setup cost less than $250, easily accommodates about 8 full flats of plants (hundreds!) and cost less than $250 including the fan. And that $250 spreads out over several years. All I ever need to replace is the bulbs.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:57 PM

16,736 posts, read 20,470,484 times
This is what I bought:

Shop Utilitech 48-1/4-in Fluorescent Shop Light at Lowes.com

($17.98)

I bought this pack of 2 bulbs to go in it:

Shop GE 2-Pack 32-Watt Daylight Fluorescent Tube Light Bulbs (Common: 48-in; Actual: 4-ft) at Lowes.com

($8.98)

And here are my indoor tomatoes with tons of tomatoes. Look closely to see all of the green tomato clusters (which all ripened and even more were produced). I never opened those window blinds because of privacy, so these plants never got sunlight:

Mixed in with the tomatoes are some marigolds and a begonia.

All you have to do is put the bulbs into the shop light - just screw them in, and plug in the light. It comes with short chains, but I got longer chains, and then I attached two plant hangers to the wall, and hung the chains from the plant hangers.

If you actually look at the "lumens" for these cheap daylight bulbs, they even exceed many "grow lights." So, I beg to differ that daylight bulbs won't do the trick. And for a lot cheaper.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:34 PM

587 posts, read 648,069 times
I also use shop lights. I bought one of those wire shelving units for about $100 and five shop lights. We attached the shop lights with small sections of chain so I can adjust the height of the light as the plants grow. It works out well for starting seeds and costs about $20 a month in electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden