Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:32 AM

30,288 posts, read 16,040,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
After you get permission, a contract, and insurance then you'll probably have to get city or county zoning approval to farm and maybe an air quality permit and go through other government hoops before you plant your first seed. You might have to bring in water, get a water permit, water allocation etc etc, oh my you'll say when you find out what farmers have to go through.
good grief-I'm glad I don't live where you do!

You might be able to just sign a release saying you won't hold the owners responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,804,674 times
Many farmers and agricultural property owners do lease out sections of land to other farmers. They usually have some very strict rules and regulations that the renting farmers must agree to and abide by, or else forget about it.

If I was going to allow somebody else to rent or lease a portion of my property to do their own gardening on then they would be required to do everything my way and they'd have to be bound to a legal contract. Everything they want to do on the land and grow on the land would first have to meet with my approval. All tools, equipment, machinery, soil conditioning methods and amendment materials, watering methods, etc. would first have to meet with my approval. They would have to agree to not bring any animals or any other persons onto the land and they would have to agree to only come at the times of day and days of the week that are convenient to me.

There are more rules, including required wildlife and environmental protection rules and sanitation rules, and about where the renter will get their water from, but I'm just mentioning here a few examples of what some of the rules are that renters have to agree to. Other's have already mentioned some of the liability issues that MUST be dealt with as well.

The people who want to lease the land and are happy to agree to all the rules are the type of people that land owners are willing to lease the land to. Prospective renters who don't want to agree to all the requirements of the land owners should probably just buy their own piece of property and then do what they want with it in accordance with the district rules and regulations.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:16 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,351,930 times
I did that years ago. I sent letters to owners of acreage in Washington State. It was a choice hill with super sun exposure. Parcels were owned by people as far away as New Hampshire and Singapore. I informed them I'd lime and fertilize at my expense, and went ahead the next year. I never received an answer and had no return letters. I used the properties for years.

I got the addresses as a matter of record at the county land registry.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:25 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,007,442 times
I had a "friendly" neighbor that asked if they could start a small garden on my property and I gave them permission. I had worked with the guy part-time clearing lots. The next thing I know is that I was missing our corner surveyor marker and the land had been tilled. It cost me $300 dollars just to have surveyors reset the one pin - that was yesterday's prices. I have since not given anybody permission to use our property.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:35 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,199,019 times
Default Not today but in the future

It might be, there will come a time when we will all need the victory garden or victory truck garden (bigger) again. Real property and liability go hand in hand. But insurance just attracts lawyers who, with insurance, have a sum (the limits of liability) to sue for. And all those regulations give the local yokels reason to mess with you, not to mention pesky neighbors.

In a perfect world there should be a Good Samaritan Gardener Act or something like it to get rid of all these problems and get this party started.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:40 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,022,119 times
Share-cropping? Tenant farming?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:44 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,629,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Wondering if anyone has done this. I drive around and see all kinds of property that is not being used - as in, it's not wooded and it's overgrown with weeds. Has anyone ever tried asking the owner of such property if he/she can farm on it, with no expectations of a long-range continuing relationship except for "if I start, I expect to be able to continue at least through the harvest of this season"? Did the owner agree to allow you to farm? If yes, how much did you have to pay him/her for the privilege?

(I can't help but think that, if we used all of this unused property for farming, we'd never have to import any food from China again and we'd be able to go fully organic with what we eat.)
You can do whatever you and the landowner agree to, subject to zoning laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden