U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 09:09 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,705,971 times

Advertisements

Instead of an activated-sprinkler which might be considered an assault of some kind by someone, why not a continuous fountain? Maybe something like a "jumping" fountain that's always on and better yet, largely recycles the water: http://www.homesupplies-b2b.com/b2b/...untain_Jet.jpg A "fence" of this type might be cheaper than a true fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 11:22 AM

3,749 posts, read 2,904,872 times
How about 3 or 4 of these?

Shop Gatehouse 31-in x 37-in White Vinyl/Polyresin Outdoor Privacy Screen at Lowes.com

Or these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_19632-80032-...7C1&facetInfo=

Not expensive, looks really nice, and you can plant some nice viney plants to climb up it.

And it would solve your problem.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:31 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,061,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
How about 3 or 4 of these?

Shop Gatehouse 31-in x 37-in White Vinyl/Polyresin Outdoor Privacy Screen at Lowes.com

Or these:

Shop No Dig Powder-Coated Steel Fence Gate (Common: 29.3-in x 46.77-in; Actual: 29.3-in x 46.77-in) at Lowes.com

Not expensive, looks really nice, and you can plant some nice viney plants to climb up it.

And it would solve your problem.
I will look into these; they may be a good option. I wasn't aware of these no-dig fences, so thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 AM

I went down and spoke to the postmaster this morning.
He didn't seem very- how shall I put it- interested in my concerns. He asked if I had a sign up saying "no trespassing" and I said no because it is clearly a garden, and then asked if I would need to put signs all the way down the length of the garden. At this point there was a very pregnant pause at the end of which he said, well you are really asking the carrier to go out of his way.... Ultimately he said that he would need to "investigate" and "look into it". I have no idea what that means, but it doesn't sound promising. He did say that he would "make a note" for the carriers, but added that he had no way to guarantee they wouldn't continue cutting through.
I did explain at one point in the conversation that if needed I would put up a fence which he didn't seem pleased with but didn't offer a direct response.
So- I guess I am looking at pricing out a fence to put up as soon as the ground starts to thaw.
Not so happy.
How inconsiderate of me to expect the carrier not to walk through the garden. I have a fair amount of experience with garden pests, and I really thought the squinnies would do me in last summer, but I honestly never thought the postal carrier would be the biggest challenge of all.
Bleccch.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:54 PM

5,811 posts, read 3,090,163 times
So now we know why the carrier acts as he does. Congressman's field office or USPS consumer affairs is the next step

Last edited by Taiko; 12-31-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 01:14 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,177,937 times
Don't go trying any of the dumb booby trapping suggestions here in Kansas, folks. We just heard that as of January 1, it will be illegal to booby trap your property. Finally, Kansas enacts a law I can live with. And I would imagine booby trapping your property to get back at a federal employee would be really frowned upon.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:16 PM

13,137 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I went down and spoke to the postmaster this morning.
He didn't seem very- how shall I put it- interested in my concerns. He asked if I had a sign up saying "no trespassing" and I said no because it is clearly a garden, and then asked if I would need to put signs all the way down the length of the garden. At this point there was a very pregnant pause at the end of which he said, well you are really asking the carrier to go out of his way.... Ultimately he said that he would need to "investigate" and "look into it". I have no idea what that means, but it doesn't sound promising. He did say that he would "make a note" for the carriers, but added that he had no way to guarantee they wouldn't continue cutting through.
I did explain at one point in the conversation that if needed I would put up a fence which he didn't seem pleased with but didn't offer a direct response.
So- I guess I am looking at pricing out a fence to put up as soon as the ground starts to thaw.
Not so happy.
How inconsiderate of me to expect the carrier not to walk through the garden. I have a fair amount of experience with garden pests, and I really thought the squinnies would do me in last summer, but I honestly never thought the postal carrier would be the biggest challenge of all.
Bleccch.
You might have one other option? I believe that there are Post Masters for every office and then their supervisors in some towns - you could work your way up the ladder. You might even ask the man you talked to who is his superior. Possibly you will get a quicker response?

Sorry that the PM did not give you a better response. Just out of curiosity; did you take pictures with you for the meeting? It might be easier for him to "study" if he had pictures. You could even pull up your house using the Google 'Earth' program and make a copy of that.

You could hold a party for the 'Pit Bulls and Parolees' program about mail time! Of course you probably would not have too much garden left!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 AM

34,539 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I already suggested putting your sprinkler on a timer, and someone else said motion activated. I think the motion activated could be considered booby trapping, but sprinkling at a set time would not. Your intention would not be to get the carrier wet, but it would be to make this route unattractive.
I think whomever suggested going up the ladder at the post office is correct. It's really important. Don't give up, and be sure and tell us what happens.
Postal employees should be bending over backwards to accommodate residents, not the other way around. They are perceived as over paid and over pensioned, so they should not do anything to cause us to like them less than we do already.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I already suggested putting your sprinkler on a timer, and someone else said motion activated. I think the motion activated could be considered booby trapping, but sprinkling at a set time would not. Your intention would not be to get the carrier wet, but it would be to make this route unattractive.
I think whomever suggested going up the ladder at the post office is correct. It's really important. Don't give up, and be sure and tell us what happens.
Postal employees should be bending over backwards to accommodate residents, not the other way around. They are perceived as over paid and over pensioned, so they should not do anything to cause us to like them less than we do already.
Thank you for your suggestion gentlearts. A couple of things to consider though- I am in a cold zone so I couldn't use it this time of the year. I am afraid that sprinkling one area of the garden will just cause him to go through another area of garden. Also, he could just move the sprinkler.
So, while I like the idea in theory, I am not sure that it would work well in practice, but thank you for suggesting it.

I suspect that I will end up putting up a 5' fence.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:09 AM

13,137 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Thank you for your suggestion gentlearts. A couple of things to consider though- I am in a cold zone so I couldn't use it this time of the year. I am afraid that sprinkling one area of the garden will just cause him to go through another area of garden. Also, he could just move the sprinkler.
So, while I like the idea in theory, I am not sure that it would work well in practice, but thank you for suggesting it.

I suspect that I will end up putting up a 5' fence.
The deer netting and post I mentioned in post #90 would cost you less than $50 for a seven foot high and 100 foot long fence (providing you or your friends have tools - like a bench saw, heavy duty stapler, sledge hammer and metal bar to open holes to drive the post).

Good luck again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden