U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:39 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,705,568 times

Advertisements

Mailmen are miserable bastards. My current mailman is a prick. No other way to describe him. I have never had an issue with a letter carrier before this guy showed up. He throws packages, doesn't deliver signature required mail etc...I have tried to speak to him several times and got an attitude and brushed off. I complained to his supervisors, they brushed me off to, what a waste of time. Now I just go online and submit a complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM

13,293 posts, read 10,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Sounds like you found my ex-neighbors.

We have 60' of frontage. They would tie their dog to the center of their front porch (meanwhile they had an enclosed back yard) with a 100' line. Yes, you read that right. 100' from the center of their porch meant their dog could use their yard, mine and the guy on the other side of them. And halfway out in the street.

Anyway, the dog would come through the bushes (mine) that lined our driveways. Then he'd go back through and get tangled up. The guy got pissed that his dog was getting tangled up in the bushes and said he was going to cut them down. (the bushes are mine and on my property and his dog would not be getting tangled if he wasn't also on my property. Most normal people understand this)

The best day was when he measured his property with a string based off a random stone in the back corner of his yard. He then declared that he owned one side of my garage and was going to tear that down too.

He was such a nut job though that I actually feared for my property when he got his surveyed and it turned out that I owned more than we both thought I did. His last stake went a good 6" into his newly poured driveway.

What a nightmare - I was never so happy to see someone move away.

Every year I go around our property with surveyors tape and fluorescent paint. I spray our stakes and put on new surveyors tape on the pins. I want everybody to know exactly what is mine and what is yours - it prevents problems. I am also willing to give all neighbors a copy of my surveyor's map - so they can check the lines themselves. I don't want any mistakes.

Lazy neighbors, that simply open their doors for their pets to run free; drive us nuts. We do not want to step in dog manure - we have no dogs and wall to wall carpet. Nothing is worse than tracking in dog poop by accident - especially if it does not belong to your dog! Even with a $1000 fine for have an uncontrolled dog run free in our state; people will still let their animals run. It is hard to prove and you need pictures to make your case - hard to get the pictures at night. Besides that; nobody ever asks permission - of course I would not give permission.

PS The Thomas J; I'm not crazy about ours either. However a large box of Xmas cookies seems to keep him in place for a year. You could try blackmail!

Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,363,071 times
Aren't there "squatters" laws in some states where if you continue to allow use of your property, eventually, they can claim it as theirs?

I don't know. I'm in California and have never been rich enough to own that much property in this state (LOL), but I have heard of it on real estate talk shows.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:03 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,451,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Mailmen are miserable bastards. My current mailman is a prick. No other way to describe him. I have never had an issue with a letter carrier before this guy showed up. He throws packages, doesn't deliver signature required mail etc...I have tried to speak to him several times and got an attitude and brushed off. I complained to his supervisors, they brushed me off to, what a waste of time. Now I just go online and submit a complaint.
Mail a package to yourself or order something. See if you can catch him throwing the package on video. See how it goes on youtube and facebook. Let your local paper know how it's doing. Maybe the PO will come around then.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:11 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,116,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Don't act like I'm not aware of how much work gardening is, been there, done that.
And what's with the 3' wide path? Unless your carrier is jumbo size or coming through on a segway I fail to see why a narrower path between plants wouldn't suffice.
I think it's very shortsighted to act like your carrier is your enemy. This is somebody (or somebodies) you will probably have a working relationship with for as long as you live in that home, do you really want to antagonize them? Is it worth it?
How would I or anyone else on here know anything about your gardening habits? You didn't start the thread nor have you gone one about your gardening skills.

And yes a path 3 feet wide would be normal and still probably not enough for a mail carrier carrying the over the shoulder bag bulging with mail. He'd still bump into and through plants.

Mail carriers come and go all the time. Same with UPS and FedEx. They change here like the tides and I live in a semi-rural area. When I lived in a city, our mail man changed every few weeks for awhile.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:27 PM

805 posts, read 736,106 times
well I wouldn't put a 10 foot tall wood or chain link fence but maybe a rod iron fence. I cant believe anyone on here thinks its ok for someone to walk through a garden they don't own. Wait I see the way people treat other cars in parking lots around here. Its the old cant have anything nice.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:32 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,702,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
How did those neighbors think they could play sports in your back yard? Is it open to common area? I have a neighbor who not long ago found a family who did not live in our HOA having a picnic on a blanket in his backyard. It is open to a pond but many houses from access to the path around the pond. Just wondering what these people are thinking.
No common area. We were on half an acre and so were they. The back yards were completely open almost like a big field. In their view they could use my backyard and theirs to play football, baseball, and whatever else they wanted. I asked them nicely to play in their own yard and refrain from walking through my front yard every time they went somewhere, but they would not cooperate. I finally had enough and planted the bayberry plants in the front and fenced the back. The wife had a total meltdown when the fence went up because I was depriving her boys of a play area.

These were the same boys that shot a squirrel out of the tree right outside our kitchen window as we were eating lunch and were upset when I marched over and told their dad what they'd just done. Another day they were banging a hockey stick against our house. When I went out and asked them not to hit my house with the hockey stick they explained they were aiming for the wild baby bunny that lived in my garden. I talked to their father about that one too and soon after my car was egged. These were the worst neighbors we ever had and it was a pleasure to move away from them. Some people just think the world revolves around them and they can do whatever they wish.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:59 PM

2,337 posts, read 1,927,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because the US Postal Service believes that a carrier doing his duty has the right to take the most efficient route to his next delivery point and the US Supreme Court has backed the postal service before in such confrontations. Thus making him not a trespasser but a carrier authorized to be on your property because that is where your mail receptacle is. You will not win a civil suit and the Sheriff will not arrest the carrier doing his duty. The option becomes how to get rid of the apparent shortest route to the next point.

A fence, move the box or make an accommodation with providing a path in the garden plan. If you interfere with the carrier the postal service does have three of its own police forces and none of them stands for election like your local Sheriff and/or Attorneys General.
The postal inspection service often rules against the carrier. The inspectors are usually considerably more educated than local management.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Mail a package to yourself or order something. See if you can catch him throwing the package on video. See how it goes on youtube and facebook. Let your local paper know how it's doing. Maybe the PO will come around then.
I caught him doing it multiple times from inside the house and when he was confronted with it he denied it. The other day my SO was in the driveway andhe didn't see her when he was delivering the mail, he threw a box and she caught him doing it and when she said something about it he brushed her off and walked away.

I imagine he get's off knowing how mad we get about what a jerk he is. Today we had a different carrier. I had three boxes delivered right to the front door. The man delivering was so nice. Even my dog liked him. He hates the other guy with a passion I have never seen.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

PS The Thomas J; I'm not crazy about ours either. However a large box of Xmas cookies seems to keep him in place for a year. You could try blackmail!
Prior to this guy I used to tip my Mailman every xmas $20. My UPS guy got $50 this year because he is awesome. He leaves a milk bone for my dog on top of the box every time he delivers. My dog used to bark at him now he cries for him when he see's the truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden