U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:17 AM

460 posts, read 625,989 times

Advertisements

Can you put down a few stepping stones and make a pathway? If you think about it, that's kind of a crappy job, having to deal with picky people all day, always someone upset about something. Why not try to challenge yourself and be nice, make it easier for someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,438,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
Can you put down a few stepping stones and make a pathway? If you think about it, that's kind of a crappy job, having to deal with picky people all day, always someone upset about something. Why not try to challenge yourself and be nice, make it easier for someone else.
This is a sensible idea with little effort and angst on your part. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 AM

9,796 posts, read 7,106,581 times
I say it is flat out disrespectful.
Years ago one Summer I was a casual carrier for my local PO. I remember walking a route through a tight neighborhood and walking across some lawns. One lady called me on it and said her husband would be very upset if he caught me on his lawn... (I didn't see any do not walk on the lawn signs?) I looked at the name on the letters and thought OH Crap, the husband was a rather large body building guy who was also a town police man.
I said sorry and didn't walk on the lawn again.

I think the OP should call the post master to complain. It is a pretty simple request to stay out of the garden. The regular postman should know better.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,061,000 times
Thank you- appreciate all the replies.

To address a few of the comments:
The area is already largely planted, but they barge through even when they see plants there, so any baby seedlings or starter plants don't have a chance- that is how my birdbath got broken. I have stakes now all through the area to mark dormant plants. Since I do primarily shrub, veggie, and perennial planting, much is underground this time of year- but it still looks obviously like a garden.

I could just surrender now and put down a stepping stone path for him, but I have plans for that area in the spring- it is (was?) going to be my blueberry patch, and I really don't feel that I should have to give that plan up in order to accommodate the postal carrier. I am very limited for space as it is, and don't really have anywhere else with comparable space and sun to put my blueberries. I am not at all unsympathetic to the carrier's job, but it is his job, and it is inconsiderate of him. I am not asking him to walk around the block to avoid the garden, just not to go through it.

Yes, I could booby-trap with manure, but then he would just walk around to another area that didn't have manure and potentially damage something else..... grrrrrr. The idea of the yellow "crime scene" tape might work if I put it in front of that area and all along the back of the garden.

I will go talk to the postmaster this week.

Thank you all- much of this is just venting and frustration. Two things I take very seriously- my dogs and my gardens! Especially in this instance because I have created these gardens out of nothing- was just lawn when I bought the house- so lots of back breaking turning and sorting soil, removing clay, supplementing with good soil- you all know the routine

Old 12-28-2014, 09:43 AM

2,600 posts, read 5,445,746 times
Call 1-800-ASK-USPS

(1-800-275-8777)

Old 12-28-2014, 09:46 AM

2,316 posts, read 1,904,417 times
As far as I know, homeowners in historic areas are not required to put up curbside boxes . That being said, why should someone with a garden have to change the landscaping for a postal carrier? as long as he can get to the mailbox somehow I don't get it.

Remember, I am a postal carrier.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 AM

34,549 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I like the sprinkler idea. Just put yours on a timer for the time frame that the mail comes.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:34 AM

3,750 posts, read 2,904,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like the sprinkler idea. Just put yours on a timer for the time frame that the mail comes.
No timer needed. Its motion activated.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:19 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,177,937 times
The suggestions to booby trap the path with a sprinkler or animal waste are really sickening. Why would anyone's first suggestion be something so aggressive and so punitive? Geeze, people. And we wonder why people in this world can't get along?

It's just someone walking through a flower bed, not burglarizing your property. It is something that can be dealt with in a civilized fashion. Mail carriers have a rough enough job as it is. Don't go making them even more uncomfortable than they already are. You are not as aggrieved as you think.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 AM

15,564 posts, read 9,588,275 times
you're taking a chance on ruining other peoples mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden