U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
5,287 posts, read 4,580,024 times
Reputation: 13277

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
The suggestions to booby trap the path with a sprinkler or animal waste are really sickening. Why would anyone's first suggestion be something so aggressive and so punitive? Geeze, people. And we wonder why people in this world can't get along?

It's just someone walking through a flower bed, not burglarizing your property. It is something that can be dealt with in a civilized fashion. Mail carriers have a rough enough job as it is. Don't go making them even more uncomfortable than they already are. You are not as aggrieved as you think.
She asked him politely and he ignored her. He, or another carrier, broke her birdbath! That's vandalism, not just walking through a flower bed. Poop and a sprinkler are pretty passive aggressive approaches to PREVENT him from walking that way, not a means of punishment to him for doing so.

IMHO he would much prefer those reminders to having her call his boss and them him getting in trouble. That is more likely to make him take vindictive action.

How about a 8 ft section of picket fence? You can get at Home depot for about 15$. Stake it temporarily where you don't want him to walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2014, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
5,287 posts, read 4,580,024 times
Reputation: 13277
I guess the extreme non confrontational solution would be to get a PO Box so he no longer needs to come to your house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,930 posts, read 64,373,343 times
Reputation: 68810
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I like the poo ideas and motion activated sprinkler idea! You could also plant some thorny rose bushes there.
I kinda liked the bear trap idea. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to have a hazard like that on your property. Anyone who ran afoul of it could sue you.

Some of these suggestions are hilarious! Your first recourse should be the carrier's supervisor. Is there no mailbox out by the street? If not, that would be the obvious solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 12:56 PM
 
3,339 posts, read 7,193,377 times
Reputation: 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
She asked him politely and he ignored her. He, or another carrier, broke her birdbath! That's vandalism, not just walking through a flower bed. Poop and a sprinkler are pretty passive aggressive approaches to PREVENT him from walking that way, not a means of punishment to him for doing so.

IMHO he would much prefer those reminders to having her call his boss and them him getting in trouble. That is more likely to make him take vindictive action.

How about a 8 ft section of picket fence? You can get at Home depot for about 15$. Stake it temporarily where you don't want him to walk.
I don't care. And if you think booby trapping the area with poop or a sprinkler is civilized, that explains a lot about the world.

We have a very nice birdbath that got broken too. A strong gust of wind blew it over -- a very very heavy birdbath can be blown over by wind. She didn't say she saw him break it, so don't go accusing. And none of us was there to witness her discussion with the mail carrier, so we d0on't know how confrontational or how polite it might have been. I am inclined to believe that an assertive and polite, "I have new seedlings in this area and would really rather not have any foot traffic here" should have done the trick. After that, a similarly polite conversation with a supervisor IS in order. Booby trapping is never an acceptable way to deal with this sort of problem. It's juvenile and it escalates conflict.

As for the bear trap idea, don't even get me started. It is not just stupid and inhuman, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,211 posts, read 10,613,277 times
Reputation: 9385
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I don't care. And if you think booby trapping the area with poop or a sprinkler is civilized, that explains a lot about the world.

We have a very nice birdbath that got broken too. A strong gust of wind blew it over -- a very very heavy birdbath can be blown over by wind. She didn't say she saw him break it, so don't go accusing. And none of us was there to witness her discussion with the mail carrier, so we d0on't know how confrontational or how polite it might have been. I am inclined to believe that an assertive and polite, "I have new seedlings in this area and would really rather not have any foot traffic here" should have done the trick. After that, a similarly polite conversation with a supervisor IS in order. Booby trapping is never an acceptable way to deal with this sort of problem. It's juvenile and it escalates conflict.

As for the bear trap idea, don't even get me started. It is not just stupid and inhuman, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Juvenile is still crossing the garden even though you have been asked not to cross. Your asking the homeowner to go to your supervisors. Gardening is a lot of work and we don't appreciate others that simply squash our efforts.

Years ago I planted 100 Xmas trees. As soon as I did I had dirt bikes running through them. It is very frustrating and sometimes hard to even find the parents to talk about your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 01:24 PM
 
Location: I am right here.
4,860 posts, read 3,726,483 times
Reputation: 15268
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Juvenile is still crossing the garden even though you have been asked not to cross. Your asking the homeowner to go to your supervisors. Gardening is a lot of work and we don't appreciate others that simply squash our efforts.

Years ago I planted 100 Xmas trees. As soon as I did I had dirt bikes running through them. It is very frustrating and sometimes hard to even find the parents to talk about your problem.
^^^this.

The OP has asked him not to walk there, and he still does. Time for action.

Talk to his boss.
Implement barrier methods, whether that's a thorny row of roses or similar, a fertilizing row of sheep poo, a watering implement to keep pests at bay (and the postal carrier might be that pest, as well as nibbling rabbits), or install a fence.

You could install a game camera aimed at the area and get pictures taken of him walking through there and then take those pictures to his boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 01:30 PM
 
1,706 posts, read 1,067,116 times
Reputation: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
No timer needed. Its motion activated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
The suggestions to booby trap the path with a sprinkler or animal waste are really sickening. Why would anyone's first suggestion be something so aggressive and so punitive? Geeze, people. And we wonder why people in this world can't get along?

It's just someone walking through a flower bed, not burglarizing your property. It is something that can be dealt with in a civilized fashion. Mail carriers have a rough enough job as it is. Don't go making them even more uncomfortable than they already are. You are not as aggrieved as you think.
I have no intention of booby-trapping anything.

That said, why do you think it is ok for the mail carrier to walk through my garden? And no, it isn't just a flower bed; this is how I made my living for 20+ years and the gardens I am currently setting up will allow future clients to see my skills and designs put into practice. I spend considerable time in the summer working on design ideas, money on plantings, and hours of tending. So no, it isn't "just someone walking through a flower bed", but even if it were, until the mail carrier starts coughing up money to pay my property taxes he should show at least a modicum of respect for the homeowner's property.

It isn't my job to make the mail carrier comfortable. If they are uncomfortable walking 25 feet down to the sidewalk and up the neighbor's driveway they should get another job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
you're taking a chance on ruining other peoples mail.
? I have no idea how I am ruining other people's mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
3,108 posts, read 4,669,261 times
Reputation: 5389
1. Speak to the supervisor. Make sure that you bring photos of any damage that has been done. Take photos of the area because the way that the postal carrier shrugged and blew you off indicates to me that he might retaliate if the supervisor reprimands him.

2. Install a fence. Something like this can be put in for less than $200 (26 linear feet) and looks very nice.

3. Keep the sprinkler idea in mind, but put up a sign. Just say you are having trouble with animals getting into your garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 01:48 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
11,419 posts, read 7,437,434 times
Reputation: 16997

This oughta do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,211 posts, read 10,613,277 times
Reputation: 9385
How about a friendly warning available on Amazon:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top